Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has anyone here ever come across human remains in the woods?

In '76 one of the Ranger-Naturalists came down from the summit of Mansfield to Taft Lodge where I was caretaker at the time. He said something interesting had been found in the woods. I laced up my hiking boots probably faster than I ever had before or since. We hiked down the Long Trail and then off-trail for a spell. A hiker bushwhacking in the area had found remains and called it in. There were other folks there connected with law enforcement. We carried down several garbage bags to the road head, depositing them in the trunk of the coroner's car. One of the bags contained a boot with protruding bone. Later a local officer recalled seeing a man in town some time before with clothes that matched those found in the woods. Conclusion: suicide.

In those early years I participated in a climbing expedition to the Andes. We took a route into our peak that was way off the beaten track. So remote that we had to spend a couple of days on reconnaissance to chart out the route ahead. On the walk out we came across a well beaten trail which we followed out of curiosity. This led shortly to the crash remains of a small plane. Nearby lay a nearly complete skeleton, unclothed except for white jockey short underwear still intact and seemingly undisturbed. One of us photographed the tail number of the plane and notified authorities once back in town. Turns out the crash site was known. The explanation given was that the pilot was a drug runner who smashed into a cliff. We did indeed see a cliff above the crash site, which happened to lie several days' walk from the nearest road. The well beaten trail apparently had been created by curious members of an indigenous tribe who lived in nearby mountain villages accessible only by trail. Apart from the shock of seeing a naked human skeleton, the eeriest part occurred in advance. Just before encountering the beaten path and crash site, several of us sensed something strange and odious about the surroundings.
    散步 Sanbu

Quote Originally Posted by Sanbu View Post
    In '76 one of the Ranger-Naturalists came down from the summit of Mansfield to Taft Lodge where I was caretaker at the time. He said something interesting had been found in the woods. I laced up my hiking boots probably faster than I ever had before or since. We hiked down the Long Trail and then off-trail for a spell. A hiker bushwhacking in the area had found remains and called it in. There were other folks there connected with law enforcement. We carried down several garbage bags to the road head, depositing them in the trunk of the coroner's car. One of the bags contained a boot with protruding bone. Later a local officer recalled seeing a man in town some time before with clothes that matched those found in the woods. Conclusion: suicide.

In those early years I participated in a climbing expedition to the Andes. We took a route into our peak that was way off the beaten track. So remote that we had to spend a couple of days on reconnaissance to chart out the route ahead. On the walk out we came across a well beaten trail which we followed out of curiosity. This led shortly to the crash remains of a small plane. Nearby lay a nearly complete skeleton, unclothed except for white jockey short underwear still intact and seemingly undisturbed. One of us photographed the tail number of the plane and notified authorities once back in town. Turns out the crash site was known. The explanation given was that the pilot was a drug runner who smashed into a cliff. We did indeed see a cliff above the crash site, which happened to lie several days' walk from the nearest road. The well beaten trail apparently had been created by curious members of an indigenous tribe who lived in nearby mountain villages accessible only by trail. Apart from the shock of seeing a naked human skeleton, the eeriest part occurred in advance. Just before encountering the beaten path and crash site, several of us sensed something strange and odious about the surroundings.
    If it was a drug plane then presumably the well beaten path was there from off loading the contents

Apparently this just happened.

"Person walking dog stumbles across skeletal remains in woods, Connecticut officials say"

https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/...256770387.html
    Tom Rankin
    Web Master - NY Forest Fire Lookout Association
    Volunteer - Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President - Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO - Views and Brews