Handwarmers?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks -- I've been looking at those, and trying to figure out how well they'll fit in a winter glove -- looks like they might be a bit tight, at 4.09 x 2.11 x 1.14 inches?

These Zippo Heatbank 3 warmers are a bit smaller? (Yes, and with small in this case comes limited heating time.)

Has anyone ever used these?

I use them in Mittens. Gloves don't really work well with something like that.

I have the Ocoopa brand

I seem to have the opposite problem: hot sweaty hands that dampen my fleece gloves and then chill my hands.

I now carry 4 pairs of gloves and change them out as needed depending on temps and exertion level.

I also carry a pair of Dachstein thick wool mittens in case I decide to go to the moon or something.

Tom, I wear heavy fleece or wool inside of unlined mitts. Been using Hot Hand for years inside the mitts on the back of inner. Are the ones you recommend small enough work in my setup?

Tom, I wear heavy fleece or wool inside of unlined mitts. Been using Hot Hand for years inside the mitts on the back of inner. Are the ones you recommend small enough work in my setup?

I'm not Tom, but for years I've used the MyCoal Grabber ( and look-alikes) in the way that you describe-- with the warmers situated on the backs of my hands, not in the palms. As explained to me by an exercise physiologist, the blood supply for your hands and fingers mainly comes across the backs of your hands. Why would you want the warmers in the palms of your hands or on the inside of your wrists, when those are places that would only warm the blood going back to the heart ? Also pays to put footwarmers of the same type on top of your foot instead of under your foot.

VFTT seems to have this discussion whenever the January temps have bottomed out for a couple weeks. Does this mean we are due for a thaw ??

VFTT seems to have this discussion whenever the January temps have bottomed out for a couple weeks. Does this mean we are due for a thaw ??

Former VFTTer and former MWO meteorologist Jim Salge posted today that today is the coldest mean temperature (Portland, ME) and mean temps start to creep up by a few hundredths of a degree after this date.

Tim

For me it's always been back of hand. Palm position interferes with grip on ice tools.

Direct contact with skin. Never been burned. Need all the heat I can get with Reynaud's.

I can't get them to stay put in my mittens or gloves. They end up folded in half around the tips of my fingers most of the time. I guess if one is just sitting a parent-child soccer game they might stay put... I know some gloves/mittens have a pocket for them, but I don't own any of those. Actually if they do stay put, it's on the palm side because they get pinned inside the grip with the handlebars or ski/trekking poles.

Tim

I seem to have the opposite problem: hot sweaty hands that dampen my fleece gloves and then chill my hands.

I now carry 4 pairs of gloves and change them out as needed depending on temps and exertion level.

I also carry a pair of Dachstein thick wool mittens in case I decide to go to the moon or something.

ChrisB, this is exactly the reason for using medical exam gloves, e.g. nitrile gloves, as a vapor barrier.

I've used the unlined Ragged Mt overmitts with their mega-thick fleece inners for years. With Hot Hands in between on the backs of my hands. They warmers seem to stay in place with this setup. Wondering how much larger or heavier the handwarmers are in comparison. While on the topic, Ragged recently discontinued those monster thick fleece mittens. Anyone familiar with them and know where something similar is sold? I also have Dachsteins but the fleece makes my hands more mobile.

I tried handwarmers and they are not for me. Just have to wait 10 minutes and my hands warm up just fine without them. I tried them and found zero benefit.

ChrisB, this is exactly the reason for using medical exam gloves, e.g. nitrile gloves, as a vapor barrier.

GAME CHANGER! Most have a slippery side and not slippery side. The slippery side is designed to be on the inside so they go on/off your hands easily. When I put them under gloves, I turn them inside out so they stay on my hands and the gloves (mittens) slide on and off easier. They're like $15 for a box of 100 at Home Depot (cleaning / painting use) and I can usually get many days out of pair before they rip.

I've worn them cycling to work pretty much all month.

Tim

Last edited:
Yesterday, I summited a 4k with a girl I met online. Upon reaching the summit, eating, feeding my dog, drinking, my lightweight gloves no longer kept my hands warm and they got pretty cold. We got up to head down and I pulled on my heavyweight OR gloves, she did the same. BUT, she put handwarmers in hers, it took me 10 minutes of balling up my hands to get them warm, she was warm in no time. I think, I'm going to try and add some to my kit, anyone here use them? A few questions to those that do. Can they get too warm and burn your skin? Can they break open in your pack and make a mess? How long do they stay warm? Me and my dog were walking around Bass Pro last night and they have huge bundles for ten bucks, cheap enough. PS. I had frostbite years ago, maybe age is bringing back that coldness I had for years.

A few years ago, I started putting handwarmers in the toes of my downhill ski boots during the ride to local areas. By the time I get to the lodge and put on my ski boots, the toes are quite comfortable and stay warm for a few hours. I then put the handwarmers in my hiking boots and leave them in the lodge in my boot bag. When I stop for lunch, I change into my hiking boots and put the handwarmers back in the ski boots. After lunch, I switch again and at the end of the day, my hiking boots are nice and warm for the walk back to the car. I'll bet you could do something similar with a pair of mittens. Open the handwarmers and put them in your mittens in your pack and when you stop, the mittens will already be comfortably warm. Put the handwarmers in a pocket while you're wearing the mittens and when you take the mittens off, put the handwarmers back in them. Good luck.

A few years ago, I started putting handwarmers in the toes of my downhill ski boots during the ride to local areas. By the time I get to the lodge and put on my ski boots, the toes are quite comfortable and stay warm for a few hours. I then put the handwarmers in my hiking boots and leave them in the lodge in my boot bag. When I stop for lunch, I change into my hiking boots and put the handwarmers back in the ski boots. After lunch, I switch again and at the end of the day, my hiking boots are nice and warm for the walk back to the car. I'll bet you could do something similar with a pair of mittens. Open the handwarmers and put them in your mittens in your pack and when you stop, the mittens will already be comfortably warm. Put the handwarmers in a pocket while you're wearing the mittens and when you take the mittens off, put the handwarmers back in them. Good luck.

You can also stash them in a plastic bag (air tight) and they will stop heating, then come back to life when you need them.