Toilets in Paradise

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 6746
This is also available on Amazon for that hard to find gift person on your Christmas list.

Perfect for this season of joyful giving (I won't ask how you found it).

And not to be outdone, we have our own beloved Throne of the Thunder God right here in Baxter at Davis Pond. Life is GOOD!!

My guess is the old one dated back to the AMC era where Percival Baxter had allowed AMC to establish a camp at Davis Pond. Definitely a creative use of the local materials but decidedly in pretty rickety shape the last time I visited.

Always a fun topic!

At Gore Mtn. ski area in the Adirondacks, our Ski Patrol did a fund raiser many years ago selling a really nice framed poster with pics of the dozen or so old fashioned outhouses around the ski area. Most of these were not even usable in the winter; some of the pics showed them almost entirely buried in snow. Thankfully we have upgraded facilities today!

My favorite toilet was at Pumori base camp in 1992. We built a huge stone throne facing across the valley. The view was Everest, Lhotse and Nuptse (the so called "roof of the world"), with a view looking down 1000' onto Everest base camp.

Last edited:
I got a real good laugh watching The NPS flying the crapper in and out of 17200 on Denali for an unload and reload. Good thing this throne had no walls so they could not mistakenly flown off with a paying customer.

I got a real good laugh watching The NPS flying the crapper in and out of 17200 on Denali for an unload and reload. Good thing this throne had no walls so they could not mistakenly flown off with a paying customer.

What year was this? When I climbed it in 2015, there were no improved facilities at any of the camps. We used the clean mountain can system and constructed our own facilities (or moved into an abandoned one) at each of the four camps in addition to basecamp.

Clean Mountain Cans

What year was this? When I climbed it in 2015, there were no improved facilities at any of the camps. We used the clean mountain can system and constructed our own facilities (or moved into an abandoned one) at each of the four camps in addition to basecamp.

Clean Mountain Cans
Aye there young lad….things were a bit different back in the 80’s and 90’s when I was active in the Alaskan Range. Have you ever seen a Mudshark?

The privy at Chimney Pond in Baxter is not too shabby.

IMG_0069-XL.jpg

A little old time climbing jargon and the Karens start going agro.