Katoolah K10 crampons

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sierra

Reaction score
Last year, I started using Hillshound Trail crampons. I am very happy with them, but with the crazy ice I have encountered this year, I'm looking to go up a level. Anyone use the Katoolah K10 crampons? Great reviews and they look like exactly what I need. Trying to avoid digging out my full crampons, one they are overkill, two, I hike with my dog and they are too dangerous for a dog that's always close by. I am taking someone up Washington and the Northern Peaks and want the extra security. Thanks.

Last year, I started using Hillshound Trail crampons. I am very happy with them, but with the crazy ice I have encountered this year, I'm looking to go up a level. Anyone use the Katoolah K10 crampons? Great reviews and they look like exactly what I need. Trying to avoid digging out my full crampons, one they are overkill, two, I hike with my dog and they are too dangerous for a dog that's always close by. I am taking someone up Washington and the Northern Peaks and want the extra security. Thanks.
I have a pair of these and really like them. The pros are they are light and bite well. They are also easy to put on and will fit a wide array of footwear when properly adjusted. No doubt a step up from spikes and most other walking crampons like the Hillsound Trail Crampons with out the overkill of a full on Crampon. The only potential negative I can see and I have not had a problem personally is the bar adjustment clip. It is easy to use and actually makes the crampons more compact for packing in the compressed position but I do suspect it's durability. Again I have used my pair extensively and keep an eye on the before mentioned clip without any problems. If that clip were to go in the field you need to be creative. I carry extra nuts and bolts that will work but albeit a frosty repair under cold conditions.

I have a pair of these and really like them. The pros are they are light and bite well. They are also easy to put on and will fit a wide array of footwear when properly adjusted. No doubt a step up from spikes and most other walking crampons like the Hillsound Trail Crampons with out the overkill of a full on Crampon. The only potential negative I can see and I have not had a problem personally is the bar adjustment clip. It is easy to use and actually makes the crampons more compact for packing in the compressed position but I do suspect it's durability. Again I have used my pair extensively and keep an eye on the before mentioned clip without any problems. If that clip were to go in the field you need to be creative. I carry extra nuts and bolts that will work but albeit a frosty repair under cold conditions.

Excellent review, thanks.

Definitely really icy right now. Reminds me of the Winter 5 or 6 years ago. Haven't been able to get up there much lately but FRI I was able to hit Cannon via Kinsman Ridge Trail. A lot of really hard ice and ice flows, particularly the section that criss crosses through the glade trails.Took a really hard fall in spikes early on and switched to my Grivel G10's for the rest of the day. When its steep and icy I've never found crampons to be "overkill". Never really understood why people try to get by with the least worst option for traction on the trails. I could see where real crampons could be a major hazard with a dog close by though.

Definitely really icy right now. Reminds me of the Winter 5 or 6 years ago. Haven't been able to get up there much lately but FRI I was able to hit Cannon via Kinsman Ridge Trail. A lot of really hard ice and ice flows, particularly the section that criss crosses through the glade trails.Took a really hard fall in spikes early on and switched to my Grivel G10's for the rest of the day. When its steep and icy I've never found crampons to be "overkill". Never really understood why people try to get by with the least worst option for traction on the trails. I could see where real crampons could be a major hazard with a dog close by though.

For most trails in the Whites, crampons are overkill. That's why I'm looking at options. I think I heard a thump all they down here in Goffstown, when you fell by the way.:eek:

Most Excellent well put. There really was no other choice a few decades ago other than Studs aka Speed Screws. I get you when you say that having Crampons to be overkill.
The design of “SPIKES” is actually rather recent history.
As Sierra knows well. Good Leather Boots, Sherpa Snow Shoes, a good pair of Black Diamond Crampons and a well designed Chouinard 70 mm Ice Axe with a curve can go a long way.
I’ve found The Katoolah to be a very nice middle ground of traction.
Not that I really use my Sherpas anymore but you have to go get a system together for the way conditions are shaping up.
No doubt DayTrip it’s icy out there. The latest snow was cold, dry and slippery.
Definitely an assessment at this point and keeping the gear congruent to the Conditions.

I have the KTS Kahtoolas. No K 10's, 10 years ago. For the most part they've been great when needed. Like the winter Day Trip is referring to. Having said that, the KTS's shift significantly under my new boots. The bindings on the 2 are slightly different. The plus for either is lighter and more compactable. I have found that the Kahtoola crampons are more difficult to put on than full crampons IMO.

For most trails in the Whites, crampons are overkill. That's why I'm looking at options. I think I heard a thump all they down here in Goffstown, when you fell by the way.:eek:

I wouldn't doubt it! I've put on quite a few pounds this year. I agree on most trails and in most conditions you don't need crampons. When it is icy like right now though I think there are many trails that are crampon worthy/mandatory - Ammo, Kinsman and comparable trails. And with no snow in the woods right now the consequences of a fall are pretty severe. You're skidding into rocks and tree stumps, not powder..

I've actually been looking at those Kahtoola K10's and similar models too. I feel like for the types of trails I generally do in Winter spikes aren't really sufficient unless it's packed snow. My next traction purchase is going to be something in that K-10 style of bigger spikes. I've never tried them so I can't really say how I'd feel about them versus a true crampon. They seem to have become quite popular. I saw 6 people FRI. One had spikes and everyone else had trail crampons.

Having said that, the KTS's shift significantly under my new boots. .

That is an interesting point I've wondered about. The spikes are bigger versus micros but the "floating" nature of how they are attached made me wonder if you could loose purchase as your boot flexes by changing the angle of the spike, especially on steep stuff. On really hard ice I'd worry about that. As I mentioned though, I have no experience with the design yet.

I used the K10 with the pups. The shorter 1-inch or ¾-inch on the aluminum triangle shaped points on the K10 appear to be less lethal than the points on a crampon. They are also positioned under the sole of the boot. This is observational only. My pup has gotten his paws between the outer edge of my MSR Lighting Ascent snowshoes and hard crusted snow/ice/rock once, and he yelped. And he continues to pay me back by stepping on the rear of my snowshoes at the most inappropriate times.

The best safety feature of the K10 is the front points are short and angled down. Good for traction on trails and you are less likely to catch a front point that causes a trip. My pups tend to cross in front of me without warning or race back to me. I have not had any issues with the front points and the pups. I have also not shredded gators or pants or myself with the K10s.

I have found that the K10s do have some shifting around under the sole of the boots. I don't believe any worst then poorly attached crampons. The front straps on the older version of the K10s does require some time and effort to adjustment to get a tight fit on the boot toe. I pickup a second pair so that I would not need to constantly adjust from a light boot to a heavier boot. The new version of the K10s appear to be easier to adjust.

Slightly different product but very comparable performance and price point - I've really liked the Hillsound Trail Pro Crampon that is that middle ground between spikes and full crampon. Easy ratchet binding system and solid bite. I've found them quite comfortable for long hikes and tolerable on rocks. I've never needed more than this in the Whites. I remember having trouble getting my winter boot which has a larger, firmer toe box into the K10's when I was deciding between the two.

Have had and used mine for years. Take a few minutes at home to adjust them to your boots and they go on and off quickly in the field. The long, wide spikes make for easy resharpening. They slide together and make for a very compact carry. I have not needed my much heavier and bulkier boot crampons with the K10s.

Re: K-10s

For leading an AMC group up Moriah via the CMT (another classic, abundant source of black and blue ice floes on ledges), I chose my Hillsounds (original). They performed better than the MicroSpikes in the group as I expected, but did slip on occasion on the steepest ice. Then, shortly after beginning the descent, they broke a chain (common problem). Rather than bother with a field repair (veteran here) I decided to whip out a brand-new set of K-10's instead, for their maiden voyage. My impressions...

* In walking straight down the center of every ice floe (pretty much all of the upper half of the trail and various stretches of the lower half) there was not a single slip. I was amazed. In a few places, out of fear/habit/[brain]muscle memory I did seek out some veggie holds, but in each case this proved unnecessary.
* In general when I switch to full crampons on bony terrain, they give me a rough, unstable ride. It's the inevitable consequence of the geometry of walking on long spikes. With K-10's, the ride was smooth (zero ankle/foot strain) and completely stable -- someone evidently paid a lot of attention to determining just how long a spike you can have for a given width and still be stable!
* As was mentioned, it took a little bit of practice with the buckles to get a tight fit. With that skill under my belt, it's amazing how much faster I can put on the K-10's than I can my B-D Sabreteeth!
* At their widest (near each foot's 'knuckles'), the points are just over 3" apart, and about 1/4" in from the outer perimeter; this could make for a dog issue, but note this: there is only an issue with about 1" of the K-10's length. In contrast with that 1" of danger potential, *all* 25" (or 30" or 36") of a Lightning pose a danger -- i.e., the K-10s pose [very] roughly 25x less risk than Lightnings.
* Time will tell how often these will require sharpening, but as of the maiden voyage: WOW. Keeper.

Post note: After managing to deal with the aforementioned Moriah hike wearing just Hillsound Ultra's (smaller than even MicroSpikes) and watching me in the K-10's, my fellow leader went and snagged a set of Hillsound PRO's, and he loves them - great traction and an interesting ratchet mechanism for tightening. In terms of aggressiveness and stability characteristics, these are a notch closer to full crampons.

Alex

Last edited:
FWIW I have never stepped on a paw with crampons or micros or hillsounds but I have with Flex Alp snowshoes. Given the teeth are inside the perimeter of the deck, there was no blood, just a quick wimper. I do know someone whose snowshoes resulted in stiches for their dog's paws.

That my dog is not an underfoot/velcro dog is an advantage under these conditions.

Tim

I followed a guy part of the way up Ammo on Monday (the upper part where it crosses the various sections of ledge in between stretches in the trees) and he had the style of trail crampons that is the larger teeth than micros but with the flexible straps like spikes (not sure what model that is). I really was not keen on how they flexed/moved and slipped on steep sections. He skidded and lost his balance several times but never fell. I asked how he liked them versus spikes and he said they were good. Was not a selling point for me watching how they performed up close. A rigid binding of some sort seems like a requirement to me for steep terrain. I wouldn't trust this kind of set up on questionable terrain.

EDIT: I think what I saw the guy wearing were the Hillsound Trail Crampons, not a Kahtoola product. FYI.

Last edited:
I followed a guy part of the way up Ammo on Monday (the upper part where it crosses the various sections of ledge in between stretches in the trees) and he had the style of trail crampons that is the larger teeth than micros but with the flexible straps like spikes (not sure what model that is). I really was not keen on how they flexed/moved and slipped on steep sections. He skidded and lost his balance several times but never fell. I asked how he liked them versus spikes and he said they were good. Was not a selling point for me watching how they performed up close. A rigid binding of some sort seems like a requirement to me for steep terrain. I wouldn't trust this kind of set up on questionable terrain.

EDIT: I think what I saw the guy wearing were the Hillsound Trail Crampons, not a Kahtoola product. FYI.

I've used my Hillshounds crampons every week for the last two months and have found that exact issue. Just the other day, I had to stop twice because the front bail was off to one side, which means the main set of spikes are now off center. Not exactly effective descending steep ice. I plan to replace these and use them as a backup. My sister turns out has a pair of Petzel crampons, 10 points and much more effective all around. I'm in the process of "borrowing" them as we speak.:D

I've used my Hillshounds crampons every week for the last two months and have found that exact issue. Just the other day, I had to stop twice because the front bail was off to one side, which means the main set of spikes are now off center. Not exactly effective descending steep ice. I plan to replace these and use them as a backup. My sister turns out has a pair of Petzel crampons, 10 points and much more effective all around. I'm in the process of "borrowing" them as we speak.:D

I've been using the Grivel G10's since I started Winter hiking based on recommendations I got here on VFTT. I love them. Easy bindings to use even in gloves and they are pretty reasonably priced relative to Petzl, Black Diamond and others. They really aren't all that different in terms of the teeth length than the Kahtoola K-10's. The shape of tooth is different. Only difference is the front pointing toe points on the G10's, which can be helpful when there are exposed rocks to help "anchor" your feet in cracks and "kinda front point" spots where the footing is awkward, like using an exposed tree root and stuff like that. I would recommend them.

I found it odd and amusing that just a few years ago people on this board were saying things like (can not quote exactly, but...)

Dude, you don't need snowshoes in the Whites, just get good crampons!

I don't use my crampons very often, but when you need them, you NEED them!

I've been using the Grivel G10's since I started Winter hiking based on recommendations I got here on VFTT. I love them. Easy bindings to use even in gloves and they are pretty reasonably priced relative to Petzl, Black Diamond and others. They really aren't all that different in terms of the teeth length than the Kahtoola K-10's. The shape of tooth is different. Only difference is the front pointing toe points on the G10's, which can be helpful when there are exposed rocks to help "anchor" your feet in cracks and "kinda front point" spots where the footing is awkward, like using an exposed tree root and stuff like that. I would recommend them.

Dude, those G10's are really nice, no fooling around. I will be sporting Petzel Irvis 10point crampons. Very similar to your set up. I look forward to just waltzing up stuff again. I will just have to watch my dog Shay, he is a Velcro dog lol.