Katoolah K10 crampons

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It proves, Tom, that even the curmudegonly VFTT member can evolve as gear improves ;)

FWIW, I still find that I am (roughly) using

* Snowshoes 60%
* Microspikes/Hillsounds 20%
* Bareboots 15%
* Crampons/Grivel G10s 5%

If I can bare boot, that is my preference.

Tim

It proves, Tom, that even the curmudegonly VFTT member can evolve as gear improves ;)

FWIW, I still find that I am (roughly) using

* Snowshoes 60%
* Microspikes/Hillsounds 20%
* Bareboots 15%
* Crampons/Grivel G10s 5%

If I can bare boot, that is my preference.

Tim

Just out of curiosity (zero judgement) what do you typically use descending trails like Ammo, the steeps of the Hancocks and similar stuff in Winter? Even in fluffy loose snow I find that I can't maintain decent control in snowshoes because of the awkwardness of the decking on the downslope when I am descending. Even on packed snow I am not a huge fan of descending in snowshoes. I've found over the years my crampon usage has gone up a lot in this type of terrain. Another use I prefer crampons for is just over the ankle (like 6-8 inches) loose and unconsolidated snow (like now when there is no base under it). The long teeth make it so much easier to get solid footing and not slip all over the place like you would walking in deep, loose sand. Crawford Path MON from the hut to a good ways up the cone of Washington had this type of snow and it was so much easier in crampons versus spikes (I didn't have snowshoes because of all the reports of bony conditions or I would have used my snowshoes to be fair).

Might be a function of a few hard falls over the years and not having the greatest agility but I've found my percent use of crampons has gone up a lot since I started Winter hiking. It just makes so many things safer and easier (and a few things trickier, like trying to go fast) and saves time not bouncing back and forth between different types of traction. I'd just assume go the "overkill" option for the time savings alone of picking your way carefully down steep areas in spikes hanging off tree and going into the woods versus just walking straight down the trail. I think the fact that manufacturers are making more and more models of "kinda crampons" validates that thought process. Or there are a lot more clumsy idiots like me hiking now... :p

Depends on the conditions :) Last time I wore crampons was on the Ammo, 1 year ago, in December, between the hut and Gem Pool. I'm not automatically gonna wear crampons because the Ammo or Hancock Loop is "that steep". I do actually enjoy snowshoeing, unlike so many people who don't. Because I prefer to bare boot does not mean I won't wear snowshoes to maintain the trail or avoid postholing.

Tim

So we are discussing NH as the ADK snowshoe policy is much different regarding barebooting.

Barebooting is my preference. Wind packed snow like you find above treeline might be good with Crampons (I have G-12's) or Micros if not too steep. I have three pair of snowshoes so depending on where I am going and what I expect may depend on what I bring. The big ones only go out if deep snow or unpacked trails are expected. I rarely get that anymore. If you aren't first after a major storm, the 4K's on normal routes get packed pretty early unless the weather is horrific. Sundays are even more packed out.

The MSR's are pretty aggressive (Not old time Sherpa aggressive) and I'd wear them in many places I'd consider Micro's as being okay. Not on the steeps, but certainly once you reach the alpine zone in the Presidentials. (I may stay away from the edge of the GG or top of headwalls...)

On descending steep trails, I'd opt for spikes over snowshoes if there was only a few inches to a foot that might cover ice. The important thing is to bring it if you think you need it. Early on I've left snowshoes in the car and wished I had brought them once I was up a couple of thousand feet.

Has anyone had any failures with The Hillsound Trail Crampons. Particularly the plastic orange antibots? Although looking like they are functional for balling having to feild repair in the event of a crack or other failure in that area looks as if it could be tricky.

So we are discussing NH as the ADK snowshoe policy is much different regarding barebooting.

Barebooting is my preference. Wind packed snow like you find above treeline might be good with Crampons (I have G-12's) or Micros if not too steep. I have three pair of snowshoes so depending on where I am going and what I expect may depend on what I bring. The big ones only go out if deep snow or unpacked trails are expected. I rarely get that anymore. If you aren't first after a major storm, the 4K's on normal routes get packed pretty early unless the weather is horrific. Sundays are even more packed out.

The MSR's are pretty aggressive (Not old time Sherpa aggressive) and I'd wear them in many places I'd consider Micro's as being okay. Not on the steeps, but certainly once you reach the alpine zone in the Presidentials. (I may stay away from the edge of the GG or top of headwalls...)

On descending steep trails, I'd opt for spikes over snowshoes if there was only a few inches to a foot that might cover ice. The important thing is to bring it if you think you need it. Early on I've left snowshoes in the car and wished I had brought them once I was up a couple of thousand feet.

The ADK snowshoe rule does not take Microspikes/etc. into account at all, and is widely maligned. If the trail is a hard packed sidewalk at 0F, it is almost impossible to 'damage' the trail, whatever you may be wearing. On the other hand, many people bare boot in 2 feet of snow when they should know better. I'm not sure what the ADK rule should be, but it should be along the lines of 'think about those who come after you'.

After two months of heavy use, I can't say enough about the K10 crampons. Even on my clunky Keen Summit County boots, they do not slip or move enough to effect performance. Easy on, easy off. I even do semi running descents in them. My only complaint, they are not easy to strap on my pack. But they are my favorite traction devices going forward for sure.

After two months of heavy use, I can't say enough about the K10 crampons. Even on my clunky Keen Summit County boots, they do not slip or move enough to effect performance. Easy on, easy off. I even do semi running descents in them. My only complaint, they are not easy to strap on my pack. But they are my favorite traction devices going forward for sure.

Good to here you are liking them. We just got a pair for my wife and it is interesting to see the changes/improvements from the pair I have which must be at least 15 years old. I do like the strapping and plastic heel cups of the new ones for fitting. But because of that they do not collapse down as much or easily than my older pair making them harder to strap on. Although added weight we went with a crampon bag for the new ones which make them easier to strap on. The bag itself is what gets strapped and then the crampons just get taken in and out of the bag. No fiddling. Just one zipper to deal with.

Good to here you are liking them. We just got a pair for my wife and it is interesting to see the changes/improvements from the pair I have which must be at least 15 years old. I do like the strapping and plastic heel cups of the new ones for fitting. But because of that they do not collapse down as much or easily than my older pair making them harder to strap on. Although added weight we went with a crampon bag for the new ones which make them easier to strap on. The bag itself is what gets strapped and then the crampons just get taken in and out of the bag. No fiddling. Just one zipper to deal with.
I need a bag for sure. When I was an ice climber, I had a Ragged Mountain made bag for many years for my technical crampons. I might try and get another one from them, I like their stuff.

I need a bag for sure. When I was an ice climber, I had a Ragged Mountain made bag for many years for my technical crampons. I might try and get another one from them, I like their stuff.
Ahhh yes…the ‘ol ballistic material crampon bag. Not sure if they are making those anymore. But now is a good time to look. They just started their big Winter Sale.