going solo

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhihn

Reaction score
After 30 years of hiking, one thing I haven't done is a solo hike, and I'd like to try this in the Adirondacks this summer. My instincts tell me "don't" but I'm strangely drawn to the idea this year, for some reason. Wanting to experience the "aloneness" is a major aspect of it. Part of it is seeing how I adjust my pace without others present. I have nothing against hiking with others, especially my fav hiking partner (my wife). I already always pack with the capability of spending an emergency night in the woods, if necessary. I figure I should first start on a trail I know well, and one that's not too difficult. Unfortunately that means a good chance of not being alone. It goes without saying that I should stick to the trail, and make sure others know when I'm going. There's always the "what if" factor (I got lost, fell and was immobilized, etc.). I'd be interested in people's opinions, especially those who have hiked solo. What was your FIRST solo like?

Just do it

My first hike alone was early on in my hiking "career". I hiked Crane Mt. in the Southern ADKs. It was a bit unnerving - I checked my map every five minutes and got a bit spooked when I thought I lost the trail. But it was also exhilarating. I got hooked on solo hiking right away.

Even though I mostly hike with others, I feel the need to get out solo every once in a while - there's nothing quite like it. :D

I enjoy hiking solo. I find myself doing it more and more lately. I can go at my own pace and adjust my itinerary without argument! I generally only go solo in the warm months, so if there was an emergency, I won't freeze to death. I enjoy the peace and quiet. I'm willing to take the relatively small risk of being immobilized. I have climbed almost all of the 46 high peaks at least once solo. My first solo was Cliff, although only solo from Uphill Lean-to as my partner went back to camp. My first real solo was Allen when I was 19, didn't see a soul all day.

Last edited:
My first solo hike was up Mt Chocoura...I had been up it at least a dozen times or so beforehand but always with company. It's a very popular mountain so I knew there would be others around and I was also very familiar with the trail and what to expect. Even to this day when I got out solo it's always to an area that I'm familiar with but not necessarily the same trail though.

Happy hiking!
-MEB

Hiking solo

Last year out of pure necessity about 95 % of my hiking days were solo...it ws either hike alone or do not hike. With a two year old and few friends who hike it was the only way. Many of the trails I soloed in the
whites were far from lonely. My biggest concern is bears (which is stupid(, but I figure if I am alone I would not be all that intimidating to a brown bear. I loved being able to hike at my own pace, take breaks, change layers, eat, rest...anything I wanted when I wanted to. A few of my hikes were quite remote...did over 10 miles in the Wild River valley without seeing anyone all day...also did about 5 hours near Mount Jefferson before seeing anyone (I am usually on the trail before 7am which leads to the lonely trail.)
Since I joined VFTT last year I have met some great people and have had some people to hike with...which has also been great. My wife is a lot happier if I am not out there alone. As long as you are as careful as possible and capable of spending a night it can be a great experience.

I have only day-hiked solo so far. I plan on doing several fast-pack day-hike solos this summer, and possibly one or more weekend overnights. I like going at my own pace and stopping for what I want to stop for, but I do like the comraderie of hiking with others. I'm thinking about doing Skylight and Gray as a solo overnight this summer.

Hi Dick,
I did my first solo last year and I am not afraid to say that I was not comfortable at all and doubt I would do it again.
The funny thing was, I hadn't thought about going solo, I just wanted to get out and no one else could go, so I went alone.
You can prepare all you want and bring all the gear you could need for a week or for any emergency imaginable , but I found that I really was not mentally prepared.
Cudos to those that can and do go solo, I doubt I will do it again because it just didn't feel right (on the bright side, I've never hiked so fast in my life!).

You've brought a lot of good advice to the forums from your experiences throughout the years so I will only wish you the best, and hope that this new aspect of hiking proves favorable to you.
Bill

Oh I suppose I couldn't let a 'solo' thread go by without chimeing in. I think my 1st solo hikes when I was in my 20's were along sections of the Apppalachian trail where you can often meet people who are hiking alone.
My 1st winter solo hike was on Mt Chocoura..where I again met other folks.
I suppose with a name like mine it is not to hard to think that many of my travells and hikes have been solo.
I go off trail readily in the winter where I can use my own tracks to keep oriented.
I think one of the main 'growth' incidents in my solo hiking was when I blew my knee out in the beginning of a multi day hike. Afterwards some would say "well I hoped you learned something from that" meaning learning never to go out alone.
However I learned a great deal from an opposite view..it was a lesson on self reliance, keeping your wits about you and it built confidence of what a person is capable of.
I love my hikes with other people even the more because of the times I spend alone...that's pretty much my version of things.
I think you will enjoy exploring it as a new realm but it doesn't have to be a death defying act to enjoy it..just a simple pleasure.

Last edited:
Hey Dick! That solo hiking sounds so good I'd like to come with you and give it a try. :)
Actually I've done a fair bit of solo hiking, mostly dayhikes but several overhighters as well. Very peaceful and soothing. Sometimes a bit scarey (I once got charged by a mother grizzly) Obviously, if you solo hike to Marcy Dam and back you won't get that aloneness feeling.

Re: your specific question about my first solo hike. I'll keep my answer to the ADK's. My kids were getting older and I was thinking they'd like hiking but wanted to have a look-see first. I got all the info I needed from the net and drove down on a weekday and hiked Marcy. It wasn't really a solo hike because there were people on the trail and on the summit. Still, I never spoke to anyone all day except to ask the Summit Steward what a couple of mountains were called (ie. Algonquin, Haystack).

I would make an unsollicited suggestion though. You don't have to choose a trail you are already familiar with. What's the difference security wise? (your not going to break a leg) If you stay on the marked trail system and follow your progress with a map you'll be fine. Within the High Peaks region I think Pinnacle Ridge is where I would head if I was looking for what you describe. I've never been there myself but it sounds like just the ticket from what I've heard. Another area is the Cold River.

Last edited:
I camp and hike solo all the time for around 25 years now. Never really considered it odd, started out of necessity, though I know people all the time that ask me about its "dangers". I have been scared camping solo a couple of times but every time it has been nothing but my imagination. At least, so far :eek:. Since you are talking about day hiking solo you just need to leave an itinerary with your wife. Don't deviate from the itinerary and if something happens at least you know that help will be forthcoming no later than the time you told her you would be home. You already mentioned that you know this. Of course, if you have a cell phone or radio that can simplify things if they work which in many locations the cell phone is certainly iffy.

I enjoy soloing for many of the reasons that you mentioned. It is just you. Your totally self sufficient. You determine the pace, the amount of noise, when you stop, when you go, what to spend more time looking at or passing by the things that might not interest you as much. All of those things make soloing very gratifying. On the other hand, I also chose where I place my feet with a little more consideration and literally think before I leap :) knowing that a fracture, sprain or being knocked unconscious could have serious ramifications.

It might sound a little silly but when I go camping with friends, it is just that, camping with friends. It's great and I enjoy it immensely but, when I camp/hike solo I feel like I am really camping with nature. ;)

Go and enjoy yourself knowing that there may be some extra dangers by going solo but that your experience (30 years hiking) and intelligence will almost certainly allow you to come through it unscathed. Keep control of your imagination and if by chance some problems arise, your wife will be able to tell the searchers what your route is.

Let us know if you go and what you think.

Keith

Solo Hiking

I enjoy hiking with my friends but there are times that no one else can get away. I don't let the lack of company stop me from getting out. I really enjoy solo hiking. Although in the Whites you are not usually far from other hikers. I have done a couple of multi-day, mid-week solos when I only passed 2 or 3 other hikers a day. I only remember one day when I did not see anyone else. I have done a few winter solo hikes and really enjoyed the solitude. I did Mount Washington this winter solo, but I certainly wasn't alone with the dozens of other people on Lion's Head that day.

I pack prepared to stay out if I need to. I take my steps carefully so I don't fall or twist an ankle. I leave a detailed itinerary with my wife. She makes sure my life insurance premium is paid. I also bring my cell phone with fully charged batteries.

Have fun!

Dick,
Many of my earlier backpack trips and then the more recent ones since I moved away from an ADK or AMC chapter have been solo. I really enjoy it, though there are usually a few folks at shelters or Lean-to's, so you are never really *alone*.

I honestly think you might enjoy hiking in the woods solo. You would be much more aware of your surroundings and you would tend to travel more comfortably (at your own pace) and see an awful lot more wildlife.

There are always concerns about getting lost, injured, ill and other worries when traveling solo, but many of those are still issues when traveling with another. If a catastrophic injury or illness befell you (Heart attack, stroke, severed arteries from a fall...) it is probably unlikely that another one could do much to save your life. Anything else, (broken bones, dizzyness, exhaustion) would only mean you need to be prepared to survive for a couple of days until someone else comes by or a loved one notifies authorities. It might not be comfortable, but you will be found.

With that said, the most important thing I could ever mention is always stick to your itinerary and never decide to bushwack or take a shortcut. As long as you are on a trail, folks will be coming by and as long as you stick to your plans, someone will know in general where you are.
I would also plan on carrying a cell phone. There's nothing better than crawlign in your tent and whispering goodnight to your loved ones and letting them know you are safe and snug before nodding off.
Good Luck

Last edited:
Rhihn,

There was another thread a few months ago here about going solo, with many opinions and some good info, if you can find it.

I hike solo all the time, and I decide what to do based on the circumstances.

Hiking solo is a different activity depending on when and where you go. Here's how I break it down:

1. Likelihood of encountering other people: If you go to popular places, at times when people are likely to be there, you have a high likelihood of encountering others (say, Algonquin on a nice Saturday). If you bushwack, hike midweek, or at night, or in bad weather (or all 4 together), you have a very low likelihood of encountering others. Clearly, the likelihood of encountering others is a factor in the "solo experience" and also in your safety. Or, as my friends say, "If you get hurt in there, it's going to be LONG TIME before someone just happens by with a thermos full of hot chocolate."

2. How long are you going to last if you're hurt: Here, the factors are Summer vs. Winter, and how much you want to carry. In the Summer, you could probably live, even injured, for many days just by drinking the local water and keeping all your clothes on for warmth at night. In the Winter, unless you're carrying a full camp (big bag, tent or bivy, etc.), if you get hurt, you're all done that night.

A couple examples:

About 20 years ago, there was a Summer search for a mentally disabled hiker (teenage male, if I remember) near Indian Pass. He was found unhurt, but had survived several days with no equipment and no skills.

About 3 years ago, a skier was rescued in the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness after he did not return from a multi day solo trip. He had broken his leg. He was otherwise OK, but that was because he had planned a multi day trip, and had all the gear, food, etc. to stay several nights. (And, critically, he had left a detailed trip plan with his wife.) If he had been on a light day trip, he would have died the first night in all likelihood.

I consider the above, and filter it through my preferences:
Preferences:
I don't want to die.
I don't want to be stuck out, hurt, for more than one night.
I don't want to slow myself down by carrying camp.

And so: I don't solo in the Winter, unless it's in highly popular areas where I'll be found for sure and not spend the night.

I solo all the time in the Summer, both on and off trail. I leave with my wife, or a friend, a detailed trip plan, and I stick to it. If I get hurt, I know I can easily survive a Summer night, and when I don't show up in the morning, the Rangers will have my exact location, and they will find me.

(Knock on wood, this hasn't happened yet, in many yeears of soloing, and I don't plan on it.)

(Some of this also came up earlier on the "Aaron Ralston" thread. A detailed trip plan left with anyone, and he might still have his arm (but no fame.))

Seems to me there was another thread on this topic about a month or two ago.

I started serious soloing a number of years ago after I missed too many weekends because my hiking friends were busy. Now I probably solo about half the time. Winter or summer, day or night, on or off trail (but mostly day, on trails). (I have ~30 years experience hiking and skiing in mountains such as the Whites.)

Its a different experience than hiking with others. You are totally responsible and if you screw up, you can't count on help. Make sure you can handle the navigation, even if you lose the trail or it becomes dark. Many soloists carry more safety gear than group hikers. But you are also much more aware of your surroundings, can go at your own pace, do what you want, etc.

For your first solos, try familiar routes that are likely to have other traffic on them. As you become more confident, you can move up to harder routes, less traveled routes, unfamiliar routes, and/or over-nighters. Or you can stop before you exceed your personal comfort level. Don't forget, hiking is recreation--if you don't enjoy it or feel comfortable, don't do it.

Doug

Last edited:
beverly said:
My first hike alone was early on in my hiking "career". I hiked Crane Mt. in the Southern ADKs. It was a bit unnerving - I checked my map every five minutes and got a bit spooked when I thought I lost the trail. But it was also exhilarating. I got hooked on solo hiking right away.

Even though I mostly hike with others, I feel the need to get out solo every once in a while - there's nothing quite like it. :D

One of my first was solo hikes was also Crane. Mid-week, early May in a heat wave over 90. I was the only person on the mountain, and would have not seen anyone most likely until the weekend, so it was a touch "motivating." Sure footed was the name of the game, and my eyes were wide and alert for the whole hike. My first of many many solos.

I love hiking and backpacking solo. I have the luxury of being able to hike mid-week, so that really allows for true solo adventures. My first round of the 46 was done with 20 or so solo hikes, and I've since been chipping away at the rest to complete a 46Solo. With 38, I hope to finish on Grace Peak this fall. Last year I did a five day solo from the Loj to St. Huberts hitting 9 summits along the way. In a couple of weeks I'll do another traverse from Elk Lake to Upper Works revisiting some favorites along the way. I can't wait.

Start small and work up to your comfort level. I've pushed the limit a couple of times (The three Sewards in a day, mid-week, alone, chased by lightning all day!) but that was after logging many miles under my boots. And those days make for great stories!

I've always felt you learn more about hiking when you hike with experienced company, but you learn more about yourself when you hike solo. Doing both makes for a well rounded person.

Last edited:
Generally, I'm fortunate to have "readily available" partners that will come with me at a moments notice. Lately, even when they can't, I quess I've just picked interesting enough destinations that others from here, or my forum have wanted to come with me. On occasion, I say "gee maybe a solo trip would be nice about now". But for now, that would pretty much entail telling my kids or wife "sorry, this ones for me", and not sure I'm wanting to do that just yet. At 14 and 11, my kids will likely do that to me soon enough :(. Katie doesn't heistate to solo hike easy ones (on days that I was group hiking something she was not interested in).

For now, local solo's and solo trail runs will suffice. In time, it will likely work out that there will be solo mountain hikes for me. Probably will be a bushwhack too, because that what I seem to be doing most often these days. I'm neither worried or concerned about it. I'm comfortable in my planning, navigation skills, fittness and equipment for a reasonable summer bushwhack. As for feeling alone or uncomfortable. Hmmm since I generally am more uncomfortable driving in the city than standing in the middle of the woods (no trail in sight), I think I'll be fine.

Last edited:
solo

Well I have hiked solo many times. I mainly do it because no one else can go. Most of my friends have children and my normal hiking partner is a single father so he rarely goes. I have done mostly day trips and bring the basic things and usually some minimal gear to stay out if something goes wrong. I have done two overnight trips solo and let me tell you I did not enjoy it much at all. The mountains can get mighty lonely when the sun goes down. I think I would get used to it if I go out overnight more solo but who knows everyone is different. I have not usually tried to be very conservative with my attempts when going solo. One trip I climbed Phelps, Tabletop, Marcy, Gray, Skylight, Haystack, and Basin. I did this as an overnight and only carried a poncho and a fleece sleeping bag to camp with. It was a bit crazy to attempt this but I made ok. I am not suggesting anyone try this, I was just desperate to get out and climb that week. My knees did not thank me one bit. After summiting Basin the next morning I started back and it got to the point where my knees would not bend. It probably did not help that I climbed the Dix range the weekend before. That was in the summer, but I have hiked in the winter solo also. That can get a bit more dangerous, but being out on a nice day when the woods are quiet is very soothing. I say if you are thinking about going solo and you are a bit worried about something happening, pick a popular trail that you know and make sure you know the route before you head out. You should be fine and if something does happen help should not be far away.

Ive soloed for many yrs, currantly soloing all the 14ers in the continental U.S. Heres my advice for new soloist, be prepared for whatever may happen, if you think you can handle an injury (on your own) or whatever else comes up and it may, then go for it. I broke my ankle once 6 miles in, it took along time to get out, but I had no one to lean on but myself, since I carry no phone and leave no itinary with anyone, ( Im not reccomending this for you btw.) :eek:
P.S. sapblat there are no brown bears in New England, just black thank god, and yes one person can scare away a bear. :mad:

I hike solo every Saturday. When you're out there alone you have a vastly greater chance of experiencing wildlife and noticing things about the forest. I enjoy going at my own pace. Besides, who would put up with me stopping to photograph a toad for 15 minutes? :rolleyes:

I also started solo as a hunter :eek: when a young boy (i'm an old pacificst photographer now). It's always been my favorite way to day-hike. Like ForestNome said, your chances of spotting wildlife are greatly enhanced solo. And, you can stop and linger whenever/wherever for whatever reason w/o feeling guilty. Same goes true for pace, if yer feeling good you can boogie w/o worrying about others. And the peace, quiet and solitude are the best part. I think it leads to a greater, deeper experience, more of a communion with nature as opposed to an invasion. I especially love being alone in the woods during the very early morning. But ..., if it's an over-nighter or a night-time hike ... I kinda like to have another person or two around. Strange how the dark changes things that way. ;)