Peak Bragging 2021 - Let's hear what you did!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally finished the “48 over 70”.It was sometimes difficult to get up there during the 😷 pandemic.

Me and my dog Shay hiked at least once a week for the year. Only a couple 4ks, we now hike the 52wav, the Belknaps and the Ossipees. I don't keep track of peaks. My biggest accomplishment was quiting alcohol and losing 48 lbs. I'm now at 57 in the best hiking shape of my life. Me and my dog will be in CO, to do a few 14ers this summer. PS. GREYJ , I wish you the best in your recovery.

I finally finished the “48 over 70”.It was sometimes difficult to get up there during the 😷 pandemic.

That is so cool and an amazing achievement. Way to go.

If there is an award for doing "The 48 since 1970" I am gonna apply!

As I already posted a while back, I reached my 2,000th summit (on 599 unique peaks).

Does the 2000 summits include peaks like Mt Clay or Sam Adams in the Whites, Ticetonyk in the Catskills, mountains out west, etc? Either way, 2000 summits is a lot of hiking!

Does the 2000 summits include peaks like Mt Clay or Sam Adams in the Whites, Ticetonyk in the Catskills, mountains out west, etc? Either way, 2000 summits is a lot of hiking!
I have a pretty loose definition of a peak. :D Generally, if it has a name, I probably count it.

And thanks, I just added 2 more peaks to my list! :D

But I don't double count things like Haynes, if I go over from Balsam to Eagle and back.

I have a pretty loose definition of a peak. :D Generally, if it has a name, I probably count it.

And thanks, I just added 2 more peaks to my list! :D

But I don't double count things like Haynes, if I go over from Balsam to Eagle and back.

That does bring up an interesting item on double counting. While in general I agree, where is the line drawn.

Going back in the way back machine to the 90's....

I did a one-night two-day trip where I parked at Garfield, did Garfield, North and South Twin and then stayed at Galehead, doing Galehead after dinner. I did not count South Twin twice. The next morning, I went back over South Twin and did the three Bonds, then back to the hut and then out Gale River and back to my car. I didn't count Bond twice or South Twin twice that day, however, I counted South Twin once each day. (When I go do Emmons this year, I am counting Donaldson once but not twice on that day. (I've done Donaldson before)

I figured having to climb over 1100 feet of elevation gain was going to count. That being said, should the approx. 700 feet on Bond count? Should Marcy count twice if I go up the Van Hovenberg, descend to Lake TOTC, and then go back over Marcy? (over 1,000 of gain also)

That does bring up an interesting item on double counting. While in general I agree, where is the line drawn.

Going back in the way back machine to the 90's....

I did a one-night two-day trip where I parked at Garfield, did Garfield, North and South Twin and then stayed at Galehead, doing Galehead after dinner. I did not count South Twin twice. The next morning, I went back over South Twin and did the three Bonds, then back to the hut and then out Gale River and back to my car. I didn't count Bond twice or South Twin twice that day, however, I counted South Twin once each day. (When I go do Emmons this year, I am counting Donaldson once but not twice on that day. (I've done Donaldson before)

I figured having to climb over 1100 feet of elevation gain was going to count. That being said, should the approx. 700 feet on Bond count? Should Marcy count twice if I go up the Van Hovenberg, descend to Lake TOTC, and then go back over Marcy? (over 1,000 of gain also)
The standard answer from most hiking clubs is that you have to return to a trailhead for it to count twice.

The standard answer from most hiking clubs is that you have to return to a trailhead for it to count twice.

That would seem to make it not count if you were to base camp for a week. and then go over something twice not count. So, if I go into the sites by Lake Colden by going over Algonquin on a cloudy day, and then down to the lake, that counts as one. (Why would I do that with a full pack might be a good question). The next day I go back up to do Iroquois and when returning, it is clear and I decide to summit Algonquin again, that doesn't count as a second trip, that seems unfair.

Thinking If I am camping in the Panther Gorge area, I want credit each day I climb out. (Summit Haystack one day & go back because you had a late start or weather, Day two go over it and out to Basin, then back to camp, I want credit for Haystack on day two, at least once. I'd really question who planned this trip also, camping on the other side would make more sense.)

I guess unless you were taking about trips that occur on 12/20 and 12/21 where you count one as not winter and one as winter (yes, assuming winter started at 12:01 on 12/21) or if doing a grid, doing one trip on the last day of a month and then going over on the first day of the month it doesn't really matter.

In my case, since counting S. Twin on 8/12 and 8/13 didn't impact any "official list" and I've done it several other times in all four seasons, I'm counting it twice on my list. Afterall, I didn't start this for the badges, who needs the stinking badges...:D

Last edited: