ADK Ranger Calls

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike P.

Reaction score
What's up with these teenagers these days? A bunch of light weights if you ask me.

This was an unusually over the top incident, but the usual ones that I often see and get to me as I read in the weekly DEC ranger reporte are ones like the "I've got my cell phone that does everything" excuses. "I loaded all the maps I thought I needed, but I ended up on (or off) a trail that is not on any of them". Or..... "My phone is also a flashlight, so I did not bring another light, but the battery ran down, and it is getting dark now".

Last edited:
What's up with these teenagers these days? A bunch of light weights if you ask me.

I remember a night at Lake Colden in 72 when we thought the aurora we were seeing was multi colored headlamps of cops and rangers coming to bust us for the great pot we had.

All the guys on that trip are alive today snd we still laugh about it.

Those were the days .....

Last edited:
This was an unusually over the top incident, but the usual ones that I often see and get to me as I read in the weekly DEC ranger reporte are ones like the "I've got my cell phone that does everything" excuses. "I loaded all the maps I thought I needed, but I ended up on (or off) a trail that is not on any of them". Or..... "My phone is also a flashlight, so I did not bring another light, but the battery ran down, and it is getting dark now".

I believe the NH F&G usually get those types of calls too. It's been quiet since around Thanksgiving, some likely due to no peakbagging reason to go in early December for a fall summit and a generally mild December. I was also happy to hear from my friend who's house I rent a couple of times a year when visiting the ADK.

As far as hiking under the influence in my youth, I wouldn't have called it hiking, however, in order to get your school colors and year seen, (painted), at from 384 in CT at Bolton Notch it was an ambitious hill climb to reach the open rockface seen from the highway. Several beverages were usually required before thinking it was a good idea. Other than that my high school trips in the woods was hunting and that obviously was done without drinking. (Contrary to some tales of others)

I remember a night at Lake Colden in 72 when we thought the aurora we were seeing was multi colored headlamps of cops and rangers coming to bust us for the great pot we had.

All the guys on that trip are alive today snd we still laugh about it.

Those were the days .....

You should have been around the time we were at Flowed Lands and didn't know a Lunar Eclipse was happening that night.

You should have been around the time we were at Flowed Lands and didn't know a Lunar Eclipse was happening that night.

Wish I was there. With a good buzz on the hike out from Marcy Dam to the Loj felt like you were doing the AT!