SOBO AT thruhiker

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richard

Reaction score
Has anyone been following this hiker along his southbound through hike of the AT? Amazing. If you haven’t,he has a YouTube channel. His name is Scott Benerofe. Check it out. He’s going through NH right now.

Yeah, I watched him through Mahoosuc Notch. I've been through there three times and could never even dream about doing it in winter. He is very lucky that we are having a fairly low snow winter so far.

Worried about him the last few days, -21 at my place in VT last night and expecting colder tonight. Hopefully he has found a place to shelter for the next few nights.

I watched a bunch of his YouTube videos last night. Pretty damn impressive effort. He appears to have a good head on his shoulders. He bailed on his first attempt at the Franconia Ridge because of temps and wind (looked like he went down the Skook). Can't imagine battling those conditions, on those trails, with a 65 lb pack day after day after day. I hope he makes it.

Not that I will ever do it in winter, or ever for that matter, but I'm pretty sure I would not be satisfied without starting at the summit of Katahdin. But that is just me :) HYOH, of course, and this looks like it will be entertaining.

Tim

Not that I will ever do it in winter, or ever for that matter, but I'm pretty sure I would not be satisfied without starting at the summit of Katahdin. But that is just me :) HYOH, of course, and this looks like it will be entertaining.

Tim

If ever the phrase, "hike your own hike" was meant for a singular hike, it would be a long-distance hike like an AT hike. I've worked with a few when at EMS back in the 90's read up on them and hikes with a few and had one give our troop a presentation when we were in the Whites.

These are all generalities and not meant as everyone fits into these buckets:

For the young, it's something to do during a "gap" year or needing a break in college or after college and before you get a career & a lifestyle you think will not accommodate a thru-hike. (We all reach that perceived place at different times, some never do)

For older people, the drive for a thru-hike may come from forces you may not control & other than doing it with your kid or baby brother/sister, most are somewhat unpleasant. (the current job market where there are many jobs might change this as the fear of leaving a job and not getting another one seems lower at the moment. One's field also may play into this as some occupations are more portable & in more demand)

These factors are often:

Loss of a job so unexpected free time and a need to process what happened
Loss of a family member & a need of getting through your grief/ break-up of a marriage would be similar also
A bad medical diagnosis, either yours or a family member

There could be some fun reasons too:

A healthy older person retires and always wanted to do it.
A couple of peakbaggers and outdoor junkies want to do it and either their relationship becomes stronger or crumbles under 4-6 months of being together,

I believe the outdoor store in Gatlinburg that used to takes pictures of every thru-hiker that had come in there for supplies has closed. When I was there, (I was peakbagging), I found one of our member's pictures from 1999 when he did it. He and I discussed, after my vacation, his choice of he picked to hike with for several hundred miles. He knew who I meant and he was impressed with their ability also. That far south, there are many who say they will make it but that's still early.

Generally more go NOBO as Katahdin is a far more significant ending than Springer. For students looking for a break, SOBO would make more sense for just taking a semester off as you could start in BSP around Memorial Day after Spring Semester and six months would have on the southern end in late October and November. While snow is possible in NC and GA then, it should be in-line or better then possible late September or early October weather at BSP.

Assuming Scott's trip is online somewhere with his plan. Sometimes, NOBO's start on the southside of the 100 mile wilderness and then come back north to finish with that and Katahdin.

Tim

I thought that was odd considering there were other places on the trail where he got off to avoid bad weather so he could complete. I believe he waited a day in Pinkham Notch for a weather window through the Presidentials and he came down to wait a day for Franconia. I assume maybe the weather window for Katahdin was not going to open up for many days and/or maybe he hadn't reserved enough days in the park to wait it out? That's all I would think about if I "completed" the whole AT - the technicality of not truly doing the whole thing. Pretty trivial in the grand scheme of things covering 2100+ miles but I found it odd none the less.

Honestly, I think he just got too late of a start :) Video conditions were not that bad... He was worried about dark.

It would eat at me ... forever. But again, that's just me being me.

Tim

I thought that was odd considering there were other places on the trail where he got off to avoid bad weather so he could complete. I believe he waited a day in Pinkham Notch for a weather window through the Presidentials and he came down to wait a day for Franconia. I assume maybe the weather window for Katahdin was not going to open up for many days and/or maybe he hadn't reserved enough days in the park to wait it out? That's all I would think about if I "completed" the whole AT - the technicality of not truly doing the whole thing. Pretty trivial in the grand scheme of things covering 2100+ miles but I found it odd none the less.

His hike will always have an asterisk next to it and that is unfortunate. He deserves better. I wish Kathadin had cooperated.

Still want to see someone attempt a single calendar winter thru hike. That would require quite the combination of endurance, mountaineering acumen, and desire for this particular goal. There can't be that many people capable... I think that's not what this guy is going for, but still a cool thing he's doing. Just to get through New England in the winter is quite an accomplishment, IMO.

Impressive effort through the Kinsmans today. Looking to put the Whites behind him tomorrow. Impressed with both his “winter weight” and fantastic attitude. Like he says, the low snow year is definitely helping his progress but there have also been some beastly cold days.

Came across a SOBO dude on White Cap in the Hundred Mile Wilderness in mid-September and thought his start was a bit late. But this guy has just set the bar at a whole different level.