115'ers - VFTT rules!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
Interesting stats on the 115'ers (the ones present at the FTFC Dinner):

11 recipients present
10 or more members of VFTT (including S.O.'s)

6 men
5 women

6 New Yorkers
3 Canada-ers
1 Maine-lander
1 Massachusetts-er
0 New Hampshire-rs ?!?!?

Image here

From left to right (as viewed by their right shoulders):

Sponge Bob
Nancy
Hike The 115
Harry K
Bonnie
Tom
FlipsBliss
Nat
Jean
Raymond
??? - Does anyone know this woman ? She was from NY

Last edited:
Belated congratulations Tom and welcome to the club. I was going to meet you guys on the Pawtuckaways, but was too early. So I left a greeting for you in white birch twigs at South Peak tower. Mystery solved.
Too bad you guys didn't get your 111 numbers at the event. I wonder what we're up to now. Must be around 500.
JT

Thanks for the shout-out, Tom. Can you e-mail me the uncropped photo?

Regarding the unknown person, I think I heard the name Menard; I expected to be called next, but wasn't. Is Menard the name of one of the people in the group shot?

If Mike Dickerman sends us the roster, you may be able to figure out her name.

Last edited:
Raymond said:
Thanks for the shout-out, Tom. Can you e-mail me the uncropped photo?

Regarding the unknown person, I think I heard the name Menard; I expected to be called next, but wasn't. Is Menard the name of one of the people in the group shot?

If Mike Dickerman sends us the roster, you may be able to figure out her name.

Yes, I will email the *big* picture!

No, Nathalie Menard is the 4th woman from the *LEFT*! (edited)

That's true, thanks!

Last edited:
Tom Rankin said:
Tom Rankin - 1503 / 5444 / TBD / TBD / TBD
tom - you have three "TBD" - the only one that is "TBD" is the 111 (if they still do that now that it is AMC controlled) the AMC NH 48 and NE 67 never gave numbers.
the rosters used to be given out along with your certificate at the pizza party and would have had your number in it - now who knows how it is handled???
since you are into "statistics" when you get your roster count it up - new yorkers make up almost 1/2 of the roster (short by about 10 or 15) - the rest of the world makes up the rest...

Last edited:
ken said:
tom - you have three "TBD" - the only one that is "TBD" is the 111 (if they still do that now that it is AMC controlled) the AMC NH 48 and NE 67 never gave numbers.

Blast it all! :)

Well, it could mean: " catskill / 46 / winter cats / winter 46 / 115 " then, as I intend to finish those lists some day.

Tom Rankin said:
Blast it all! :)

Well, it could mean: " catskill / 46 / winter cats / winter 46 / 115 " then, as I intend to finish those lists some day.
don't forget winter 115 - - - hey - the long path northern excursion also gives out numbers

Finally got my number, 487. Unfortunately, at least one 115'er recipient was not on the list mailed to me, even though she was acknowledged at the dinner. Hmmm, this could make me 488.

FWIW, here is the state/province breakdown of the complete list, with VFTT annotation:

VT - 2
NY - 16 (with the missing person) - Lots of us!
NJ - 1
MA - 4 - Raymond
ME - 1 - Go Sponge!
PQ - 3 - Harry, JeaNat
NH - 0 - Whazzup NH ?!?!? If you hurry, you could be finisher #500 !! :D

A belated congrats 111r #487 and you too #488. Tom you realize you are now a member of a small select group.

111R 176

Maybe next year

I live in NH and I have gone through the 48 and just about all of the 67. I just started in NY a few years ago. I really love the few peaks Ive done and Algonquin is my favorite so far. (Ive only got 5/46) The trailheads are a little more rural as are the trails themselves which I enjoy.

Its difficult for me to get out there and back in a weekend. Ive really got to go to a "gathering" and get some good local knowledge.

I got mine today, too.

The way I remember it, Mike announced at the banquet (or maybe he just told Harry personally while I was standing there) that he did NOT have the list of numbers ready, but would have them soon. Now, in his accompanying letter, he says that he DID have the numbers ready in April, and let people who asked him know what they were. I don't remember it that way.

And weren't we supposed to get a COMPLETE list of finishers? Not just last year's?

Tom, was the third Carrigain finisher with you and Dawn? Or just coincidentally numbered immediately in front of you two?

Funny how two of the Massachusetts people finished on Cliff, and there were three independent finishes on North Brother. Baxter Peak had four finishes, the most of any peak last year, but two may have happened together. Without dates and times for the Last Peak, it's impossible to say. Hamlin Peak had two.

So that's nine Last Peaks for Baxter State Park, plus one for Western Maine (Redington).
Eleven for the White Mountains (including one, Owl's Head, for the lone Winter Finisher, who also completed his All-Season last year, but that list he finished on North Brother). (Carrigain 3, Lafayette 2, Passaconaway, Moosilauke, Bond, Garfield, and Tecumseh.)
Three for the Adirondacks (East Dix was the one not named Cliff).
Two for the Catskills, both Hunter.
And one for Vermont (yours truly, on Camel's Hump).

Does anyone know Phil Hazen, the person who completed both the all-season and winter lists last year? I was wondering if he climbed them all twice, or just some.

Raymond said:
And weren't we supposed to get a COMPLETE list of finishers? Not just last year's?

That's the way it used to work. Nice booklet with all finishers and interesting stats and tidbits. Who knows now?

Last edited:
To answer all of you at once:

AP: Thanks, but it does not feel 'select'.

MS:All we got was a letter with this year's finishers, no booklet.

CM: Algonquin is one of my favorites! Especially in Winter!

R: There should have been 4 people listed on Carrigain. We all finished together. You met us the day before on Moosilake. The 4th person was at the dinner and received the same awards as the rest of us. So, either the FTFC will have to renumber the list, or issue 493 to our friend.

Indeed, an interesting choice of finishing peaks!

hikethe115 said:
I got mine today...number 486! I am bummed that Bonnie was left out since 4 of us finished together.

Left out, like what not accepted or what?

Congrats on your accomplishment 486 is in select company. Not many have reached this plateau considering all the peakbaggers there are in these hills.

Tom Rankin said:
NY - 16 (with the missing person) - Lots of us!
that means that new england only had 7 (counting MA which has no 4000 footers).

too bad the new england based AMC felt that they had to take the 111ers over completely when priscilla retired - gene daniels (former AMC 4000 footer comittee chair) felt that the 111ers would be better served by a multi state comittee with the majority representation from NY, but the rest of the 4000 footer comitteee wanted complete AMC control of the 111ers.

AntlerPeak said:
Left out, like what not accepted or what?

Congrats on your accomplishment 486 is in select company. Not many have reached this plateau considering all the peakbaggers there are in these hills.

She received her certificate at the awards ceremony, but was not on the list of finishers I received in the mail.

Thanks, I find it hard to believe the numbers are still under 500!