Any web resources for navigation and/or bushwhacking?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpencerVT

Reaction score
Looking for web links that are general informational/teaching sites about bushwhacking and or navigation skills in the mountains. This is for a project I am working on for someone.
If anyone knows of any good web links, please post ‘em. Thanks a lot!

As have many others, I first learned land navigation from Björn Kjellström's book back in the 1960s. It was more than adequate then, but even with a couple of revisions since my original first edition copy, that text has become a bit dated now. If you look around you will find an overwhelming array of literally hundreds of books on map and compass and land navigation. Few are great, most are not. But in my land nav classes I recommend a couple as the most clearly written and easy to learn from, mirroring my own way of thought and instruction (I have no other specific relationship with either book or author) Both are available on Amazon:

1) The Essential Wilderness Navigator: How to Find Your Way in the Great Outdoors, Second Edition Paperback by David Seidman and Paul Cleveland

2) Ultimate Navigation Manual by Lyle Brotherton

In the final analysis, there is no better instruction or method of learning with confidence than simply getting out there, as we say get “dirt time”. Make mistakes one time, learn from them as you go. Find a "safe" wooded area, perhaps a park or wild forest area with varied trrrain that is surrounded by roads on all sides in case you need to "bail out" of a confused state. Learn to navigate off the map and using your eyes for observation, (more formally called terrain association) with the compass giving general direction within the landscape as you travel. Study the map and look for changes in landscape, either major or subtle. It will tell you all you need to know.

Last edited:
SpencerVT, note: I do fine in the woods, and everything works. OTOH, Nessmuk is THE MAN when it comes to land navigation. Use his input; you will benefit!

I think the OP was looking specifically for websites (which I would also be interested in - imagine how cool they could teach navigation now online with all the software technology out there now).

But if we're throwing books into the mix the navigating chapter in Mountaineering: Freedom Of The Hills has a pretty solid overview of the process (and you may well already own that one for its thoroughly comprehensive look at just about all things hiking). I bought their navigating book Wilderness Navigation, which if I remember right was essentially the book version of the summary chapter in MFOTH and expands on the topics discussed there. I'm far from an authority on the subject but I found this book easy to follow and understand and it isn't crazy long. My copy was released in 2015 so the coverage of GPS and phone apps is pretty brief and no doubt out of date. But the map and compass stuff was easy to pick up and understand.

https://www.amazon.com/Wilderness-N...ocphy=9003281&hvtargid=pla-298046476939&psc=1

Last edited: