Steripen UV Water Treatment

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
I came across a thru hiking article a few weeks ago about water filter choices and many people preferred the Steripen as an option. I never seriously considered it because of the need for batteries, having to carry extras, the weight, etc. but the article mentioned they had numerous models now, one of which is USB rechargeable. I already carry a USB battery for phone, headlamps, satellite messaging, etc so this puts the Steripen back on the table as an option for me.

Anyone here use and/or recommend Steripen as your primary filtering option? Curious on the pluses and minuses for use in all seasons. I've watched several YouTube videos and it does seem like a nice convenient option for getting 100% safe water (viruses in addition to bacteria). Appreciate any feedback on the subject. Thanks in advance.

I have been using SeriPen Adventurer for the past 7 years and so far I haven't had any mishaps. I use a wide-mouth collapsible 32 oz Nalgene bottle (open enough to insert SteriPen and stir the water while sterilizing) and I prefilter with Streipen FitsAll Filter. Prefiltering is needed so that there are no larger dirt particles left in water where microbes could be hiding from UV light - at least that's what I heard. Actually, I usually run a bit more than recommended - 1 full cycle, then I close the lid on the bottle shake it up and then I follow up with a short cycle. Not sure if all of this is necessary.

What I really like about SteriPen is that it's easy to tell when the lamp is working or not. Also the pre-filter is easy to backflash if it starts running slow.

People do seem to like the SteriPen. I have several friends who use/have used them with varying results.

Problems I have seen occur: Dead batteries, failed treatment procedures w/ light off (possible operator error), operator confusion.

If you can maintain power and fully understand how to operate the device, the SteriPen is a quick and simple way to treat water. I have on occasion praised their use and found it very convenient. I myself do not and would not use a SteriPen. I have whittled down from a "huge" MSR Filter/pump to a Sawyer Squeeze and finally settled on Aquamira drops (lightweight, works in all temp. conditions, hard to mess up, no physical labor/pumping).

The Steripens have a good rep for international use as they work on viruses. Unlike Aquamira, they are not temperature dependent, its instant treatment no matter what the temp and they do not freeze up like extended surface filters. The earlier versions did have a rep of being fragile but I think they have improved. Many carry Aquamira as a backup to a Steripen.

I have used an older model of the Steripen for secondary treatment after filtering through a MSR ceramic filter where virus could potential be an issue on larger developed water bodies. For example when kayak/canoeing on Lake Champlain or lower sections of the Connecticut River. We have found that the lithium double A batteries are far better then standard double A batteries.

I have used the Steripen in the winter since freeze of the filter is not an issue and water can be read to drink immediately. I did find it was difficult to keep the unit warm and have moved to water purification tables as a more reliably option in the winter.