Saddleback Uphill Trail - Does not go to the summit

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Saddleback put in a trail for hikers and uphill skiers to climb the mountain. Sounds like a good system, the hikers pay their money, $15) and get a safe relatively short route to the summit. It sounded like a good idea but there is a problem, the trail does not go the summit and the ski patrol are informing hikers that if they wanted to go to the summit, they should have taken the AT approach from RT4 (a longer hike).

https://bangordailynews.com/2022/02...mit-saddleback-mountain-in-winter-joam40zk0w/

My speculation is this is a side effect of the controversial multimillion dollar settlement handed to a prior owner of the ski area to protect the AT corridor. The prior owner had practiced "greenmail" with the NPS by designing a major terrain expansion that maximized impact and development of the AT corridor despite third party assessments that the proposed development was a money loser. The resulting settlement severely limited ski area development near the ridgeline and I believe that a hiking trail would be prevented from being constructed in the corridor to the summit. I expect at a minimum that a new blue blaze trail through the corridor would need to go through NPS regulatory review and the potential for skiers to use it access ridgeline terrain would be a point of contention. It is odd as there was a "official" hiking trail to the summit from the ski area, that roughly lines up with the Uphill Trail route (blue line on the map) https://stgsaddleback.blob.core.win...ploaded/pdfs/sdlbk_trailmap_2021_v2_small.pdf So perhaps its work in progress or there is misunderstanding with the ski patrol?

It was a while ago, but I remember the people at the bottom telling us to take the Greenweaver trail, which we did. Then when we got to the hut, near the top of the ski runs, the guy there said, "once you leave the ski center, you're F&G's problem!". We nodded, and then headed up. It was WINDY! It's not far to the summit from the upper hut, and there is a small wall of an old building or something to hide behind. Anyway ...

Reading the article, I'm sure the author was at the same hut we were at. And for the patrol to prohibit them from leaving the ski center seems strange. Getting to the summit from the hut is very straightforward, it does not require bushwhacking at all. FWIW, 2 online mapping references show the 'uphill trail' connecting with the AT.

I've wanted to get back there since I've only been back in the 1990's and I loved the fairly long walk in the alpine zone. I don't recall seeing any trail signs showing a junction with a trail leading back to the ski area. I don't even recall being able to see any real intrusion of the ski area, an anomaly as most ski operations are visible at or near the summit of other mountains. (Sugarloaf & Sugarbush, Killington, Pico, Mansfield, Wildcat, Whiteface, Hunter, Tecumseh, Bellayre, Stratton requires a short walk to the top of lifts)

Looking at the ski map, it does seem like the typical that the ski area map is generous with elevation. (I initially started this reply with the idea that the summit elevation was 4116 (was believed that in the 90's but from what I see online, it's been upgraded.) The ski area which does not reach the top and is likely below 4,000 at it's highest chair would like you to think the lift serviced skiable terrain is almost as high as it's bigger higher neighbor, Sugarloaf. With a more likely ski summit of 3900 or so, you have a drop of 1500 feet which is less than many other mountains in the east.

For winter hiking, reaching the summit with a walk on the side of a groomed, packed ski trail could be deemed safer and easier than a long walk from Route 4. (You have to factor in possibly being hit by a skier or boarder Vs. the relatively remote winter walk on the AT but the ski patrol would probably help you if you were in trouble on the ski slopes)

I wonder if the protection status of the AT Trail Corridor makes the ski area's proper, legal response, it's prohibited correct as promoting it would be telling its patrons they have a right to cut through the protected corridor. Is there any type of sign from the ski area about the fragiel alpine vegetation and that people should stay on rocks and the trail?

As a NPS boundary maintainer, I get the same yearly raining as NPS trail maintainers (covid has deferred the yearly training). We are cautioned that the trail centerline is fixed in place, the maintainers are not allowed to make any relocations even if the relocation improves the trail bed. THey are specific that moving it just a few feet it not allowed. In theory if the trail washes out, permission is needed to do a permanent reroute. Same with blue blaze side trails, there are ongoing issues in VT where folks are building and marking community side trails from outside the corridor to connect up with the AT. I think Shelburne Trails in NH ran into that issue trying to rebuild a trail that existed at one point that went up past the crashed DC-3 on Success Mtn and then eventually connect it to the AT. Private folks have the rights to cross into the corridor at random but formalizing it as side trail is definite no-no. As boundary monitor my job is to notify the MATC if I encounter signs of new unpermitted uses heading into the corridor.

Part of the issue in VT is folks were tying mountain bike trails into the corridor which is not allowed with the exception of a few spots. https://www.mtbr.com/threads/appala...s are illegal on,gamelands, and roads in town.

Many years ago, there was a trail to the summit from the ski area. I am not sure it still exists, but it sounds like the group in the article were headed that way and then cut off by the ski patrol.

Last edited:
Saddleback CEO, Andy Shepard, has reported that the hiking traffic has been held away from the summit due to low snow in a fragile environment. As of January 17, access was imminent. Too bad that the BDN author did not try to get an official response and instead relied on responses from the random employees. Some have suggested using the Fly Rod Crosby trail from the base of Saddleback to access the AT for an alternate approach to the summit. This info was sourced from reputable members of the Maine Hiking Facebook page

Saddleback CEO, Andy Shepard, has reported that the hiking traffic has been held away from the summit due to low snow in a fragile environment. using the

I think that's pretty rich; a ski resort CEO concerned about the fragile environment.

I think that's pretty rich; a ski resort CEO concerned about the fragile environment.
Seems rather dichotomous that they are turning people away under the premise that there is potential vegetation damage that might occur and telling them to get access via Rt.4. over a lot of alpine terrain. Last time I checked it was way longer to the Summit via Rt. 4 than the already mentioned short hike from the top of the ski area. Seems like potentially more likelihood of damage in the latter situation if your going to get up on your soap box about it. If your going to charge an uphill fee only to shut people down in the eleventh hour of their hike your just asking for bad feedback. Doesn’t sound like the guy in the ticket booth is totally on the same page as the ski patrol. Bottom line IMO the ski area is probably worried about being liable. Bunch of smoke and mirrors on their part. The Ski Patrol and the rest of their posse is probably just worried about someone finding their little private powder stash. I smell a Rat.

The AT once it reached the Alpine Zone is wide and it's easy to stay on the rocky surfaces without impacting the vegetation. From long-term memory, in the col between Saddleback & The Horn there was a bit of dirt. It's hard to think of a NH equivalent. Maybe Bondcliff. In VT, maybe the Mansfield ridgeline. It's probably my favorite Maine hike outside of BSP.

The AT once it reached the Alpine Zone is wide and it's easy to stay on the rocky surfaces without impacting the vegetation. From long-term memory, in the col between Saddleback & The Horn there was a bit of dirt. It's hard to think of a NH equivalent. Maybe Bondcliff. In VT, maybe the Mansfield ridgeline. It's probably my favorite Maine hike outside of BSP.
Last time I did Saddelback which was when there was no snow on the ground we spotted a car at the bottom of the ski area then drove around to come in via Rt.4. Coming off the Summit it was a short retreat south on the AT to access a marked trail descending to the ski patrol shack which then followed a painted blazed trail mostly within the ski area on ski trails to the bottom. The trail at that point from the ridge to the patrol shack was well worn, straight forward and far from any fragile vegetation. I guess the so called uphill trail fee they are charging is to benefit skiers within the area proper only. Any which way they should be clearer on their overall policy.

A multitude of people are going / have been up that exact way. Myself included (pink) albeit in Winter 2016 when it was not in operation.

attachment.php

Tim

Attachments

• 2022-02-07_17-45-48.jpg
    2022-02-07_17-45-48.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 431
Seems the group could have retreated a bit back to the junction of the hiking trail and the America trail, and then just crossed there and it's a short shoe to the AT. No impact b/c snow. In fact, if you look on Google maps, at the elbow of the America trail there is a herd path to the AT already.

Last edited:
I went up the ski slope one Summer when it was closed down in between buyers. There was a well trod path that seemed to follow the Grey Ghost trail shown on the trail map. It wasn't too far from the shack to the AT from there, so maybe it wasn't that trail. I just remember that once we got to the ski patrol shack, the wind really started howling and I crawled across the summit. It was a cold day just before July 4th weekend. The ski trail is much quicker than taking the AT to the summit of Saddleback. like 4 or 5 hours quicker, for me.

Kinda funny the ski area owners are worried about the health of the alpine vegetation while cutting new trails at the same time.

Kinda funny the ski area owners are worried about the health of the alpine vegetation while cutting new trails at the same time.

Apart from the uphill route, I don't believe the owners have cut any new trails.