Reading the Forested Landscape...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ditto on that. Have had the book for some time now, video explanations should be great!

Thanks Scubahhh, I didn't know about his video series. Having learned quite a bit from his books and from many of my friends who were his students at Antioch University, I was always a little jealous I never got to go on one of his walks. His students have always been very fond of his lessons, so I can finally experience it a little myself.

My wife (a former Wessels student) just bought me his newest book "New England's Roadside Ecology", which I have not got into yet, but appears to be an in depth exploration of the natural history of 30 New England natural areas, with a field guide format.

For a little while I had 'ownership' of what was described as one of Tom's favorite sweaters with a wonderful owl image home-stitched with wool yarn, that was won at some kind of school auction fundraiser. When the girlfriend and I who gave it to me as a gift broke up, I had enough respect for the man to give it to someone who was a student and friend of his.

"Roadside Ecology" is terrific, event though (or especially because?) most of the place sit highlights aren't spots you're likely to be hiking in. Wantastiquet and Pisgah are two great examples; I've been to both and never thought about most of what he includes. I'm planning to hike hte Wantastiquet-Monadnock route this spring and now I' guess I'll have to lug the book along. I hope BPL doesn't find out!