Burning Snow up North

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Well, this warm up has really made a dent in the snow up north. It will make a nice crust of what is left starting on Sunday but looks like another warm up late next week. I guess if someone is into building conventional igloos, its good conditions once the cold snap solidifies what is left:rolleyes:

You ain't kidding! Was outside last night around 10 and it was 40 degrees, but the wind was blowing steady, and you could almost see it working the snow down. Puddles in the driveway this morning. WCAX in Burlington showed that 15" of snow was on the ground Sunday, with 5" on the ground yesterday afternoon, and we are starting to catch up (down) here. 2 Friends in SW NH and I have been discussing directly opposite experiences in the woods: Me - "It took me 2 days to just be able to pack out and get around on my trails." Friend - "I can go anywhere in the woods right now on hard crust over 5."

I better visit the town sand pile today before it freezes tonite.

You ain't kidding! Was outside last night around 10 and it was 40 degrees, but the wind was blowing steady, and you could almost see it working the snow down....

Here on the seacoast we've gone from about 8" to zero since Wednesday. Was 55 here today and the grass in greening up. :( Bad new for Gunstock and others ski areas below the notches.

I've been fooling around climbing ice at Stone House Pond in Barrington. I'm afraid the next time I go out there the ice will have disappeared.

Last edited:
Here on the seacoast we've gone from about 8" to zero since Wednesday. Was 55 here today and the grass in greening up. :( Bad new for Gunstock and others ski areas below the notches.

I've been fooling around climbing ice at Stone House Pond in Barrington. I'm afraid the next time I go out there the ice will have disappeared.

Well, years ago Stone House Pond had some bolted routes so go clip those up.

I am actually not on the main cliff at Stone House. There is a nice 60 foot flow in the woods to the right of the main that is about grade 2-3. Since most of my climbing partners are now inactive, I use a top-rope-solo belay system. There are lots of fat trees for anchors across the top.

pond.jpg. climb.jpg. rap.jpg

It's innocent fun and after three or four laps I'm ready for my nap.

There is a longer ice climb on the main cliff (The Fly) according to Summit Post. But it has very little ice on it this season.

Last edited:
I am actually not on the main cliff at Stone House. There is a nice 60 foot flow in the woods to the right of the main that is about grade 2-3. Since most of my climbing partners are now inactive, I use a top-rope-solo belay system. There are lots of fat trees for anchors across the top.

View attachment 6780. View attachment 6784. View attachment 6785

It's innocent fun and after three or four laps I'm ready for my nap.

There is a longer ice climb on the main cliff (The Fly) according to Summit Post. But it has very little ice on it this season.

Nice! The bolted routes were to the right of the main cliff as well. I recall they were pretty vertical and crimpy 5.11-ish. I'm surprised that ice doesn't form in the moderate trad route in the center of the cliff. Seems like it would be a natural path for run off. Wonder if anyone climbs there anymore. Pretty location just off the road. I believe that the name of the hill south of the pond means to request a cigarette from your friend. At least in England.

This Winter has been unusually weird. It was 64 deg F at my house yesterday afternoon. This morning I had to go out and shovel 4 inches of snow off my driveway. And the high temps for my area the next 3 days will barely clear 10 deg F. I get that it's New England but for crying out loud.....

A more energetic atmosphere means more variability in the weather. Lots more energy in the ocean water along the east coast so more coastal related weather gets funneled up the coast farther north.

Rain and 52 degrees predicted for ski areas on Thursday. Not so good for the week before Feb break.

No doubt the industry will be very careful on describing conditions prior to the big vacation weeks. There will be lots of references on snow making conditions.

No doubt the industry will be very careful on describing conditions prior to the big vacation weeks. There will be lots of references on snow making conditions.

Our take in central VT is that Thursday will be warm and probably rainy; then cold enough for pretty much constant snowmaking Thursday night through the weekend. Next week is anther kettle of fish entirely, and too far off to be worried about. Fingers crossed!

Our take in central VT is that Thursday will be warm and probably rainy; then cold enough for pretty much constant snowmaking Thursday night through the weekend. Next week is anther kettle of fish entirely, and too far off to be worried about. Fingers crossed!

I sure hope that's true because we've got several days planned for Killington starting Saturday. Unfortunately the forecast I'm seeing is not very hopeful, with warm temps remaining through Friday and 3/4" of rain predicted during that time. But no turning back now for us, so just hoping for the best! I don't generally mind 'New England Special' conditions so much, but lift ticket prices tend to color expectations. Might be time to rethink advanced/nonrefundable planning of these trips.

we've got several days planned for Killington starting Saturday.

Don't worry about Killington. They've got tons of manmade snow that can easily chug half an inch of rain!

It sure would be nice if the weatherman's off by about 30 degrees though, wouldn't it?!?

Don't worry about Killington. They've got tons of manmade snow that can easily chug half an inch of rain!

It sure would be nice if the weatherman's off by about 30 degrees though, wouldn't it?!?

Indeed!!! I haven't been to Killington in 25 yrs - back then my girlfriend (now wife) and I got one of those college student specials for midweek in mid-January, something like $250 for 5 days of skiing and lodging, advertised on some flyer hung on a bulletin board somewhere in the dining hall. Those were the days! Not that I want to be a college student again... But, we've been talking it up to our kids practically since they were born. So I'm hoping for the best. They're not picky though. They thought conditions at Mount Snow this past Sunday were 'pretty good.' The 13-yo called it 'great for carving!' That's my boy. ;-) The wife and I had a nice enough time, but we must be getting soft with middle age because I would have referred to those conditions as 'baking sheet.' The uphillers in microspikes seemed to be cruising along pretty well though.

The problem at K-town won’t be the snow but not getting run over by some flat lander. The only real deals these days are Season Passes for multiple mountains, uphill only passes, and local specials. The move into AT gear has been exacerbated big time by Covid. Sharpen up your edges.

Thanks Skiguy, very useful to set expectations. I read recently about how you can pay extra to skip the lift lines, and then almost didn't book because that will make me angry if it is happening a lot. I'm also seeing that parking requires payment in some areas too (that was the case at Mount Snow). Just when you think skiing can't get more expensive... It does make me consider AT, COVID aside.

OTOH, I like exploring, and sometimes places surprise you. I'll keep an open mind. Any day skiing is better than...

Thanks Skiguy, very useful to set expectations. I read recently about how you can pay extra to skip the lift lines, and then almost didn't book because that will make me angry if it is happening a lot. I'm also seeing that parking requires payment in some areas too (that was the case at Mount Snow). Just when you think skiing can't get more expensive... It does make me consider AT, COVID aside.

OTOH, I like exploring, and sometimes places surprise you. I'll keep an open mind. Any day skiing is better than...

The Skyeship base area on Route 100 is a good place to park because it is easy to drive to (especially on a busy day) and you can take a gondola up to Skye Peak to start your day.

Looks like quite the meltdown starting today right through next week. I think the peak of winter lasted about 2-3 days.