Burning Snow up North

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As of 8 AM Friday, the front looks to have passed and my guess is I have 6" of snow in the yard in Gorham with the usual melt holes around tree trunks down to ground line. No doubt what snow will be left is going to be solid with the expected cool down. The driveway also looks like it will be skating rink in few hours. Most of the north country streamflow gauges are iced in but the one on the Andro in Gorham doesnt show a surge. That usually implies that the snow pack absorbed the rain.

My wife still talks about being snowed in at North Conway in March of 1993... We've had to many nor'easters in March and early April. It does sound like having several dozens of feet in Tucks sounds remote and the layers between snow, rain and then ice doesn't sound that great for new snow.

Just looked at the view from the top of Wildcat, skiing still looks fine and looks like snow in the notch. (Okay, it may be man-made)

Last edited:
I thought for sure I would have go-anywhere snow after the last cycle yesterday. Generally, still more than a foot around here where I'm at ~1100' that did not fully settle and soak but has a friable crust with softer snow under. I could only stay on top bare booted on a snowshoe track that I packed out when it was warm last weekend. Other snowshoe tracks I could barely keep afloat on only with great care.

There was some action down on the town road yesterday afternoon and I went cross-lots onto my neighbors to check out a 1/2 acre pond that was forming in a lowland softwood forest by the road. A stream flushed its ice down and plugged the culvert and the water was finding all kinds of new ways to flow. I was debating wearing my snowshoes to go check out this excitement, but the snow didn't cooperate, and I was up almost to my knees in places but could keep to some old animal tracks to stay on crust in some places. Was interesting to note which streams stayed locked up and soaking the snow and which started running during the thaw.

I thought for sure I would have go-anywhere snow after the last cycle yesterday. Generally, still more than a foot around here where I'm at ~1100' that did not fully settle and soak but has a friable crust with softer snow under. I could only stay on top bare booted on a snowshoe track that I packed out when it was warm last weekend. Other snowshoe tracks I could barely keep afloat on only with great care.

There was some action down on the town road yesterday afternoon and I went cross-lots onto my neighbors to check out a 1/2 acre pond that was forming in a lowland softwood forest by the road. A stream flushed its ice down and plugged the culvert and the water was finding all kinds of new ways to flow. I was debating wearing my snowshoes to go check out this excitement, but the snow didn't cooperate, and I was up almost to my knees in places but could keep to some old animal tracks to stay on crust in some places. Was interesting to note which streams stayed locked up and soaking the snow and which started running during the thaw.
Interesting run off. The Snowpack is such a tiramisu of layers this year including multiple crust layers that I suspect much of the rain did not soak through to ground level but was diverted on its way through. Meanwhile the ice jam in The Ammo downstream from downtown Littleton looked impressive. We were in Littelton on Wednesday and commented how chocked up the river was before the rain came. It was like a loaded cannon awaiting for something to light the fuse.

Well, I was ignorantly impatient on Friday as I went out yesterday and the snow settled even more and firmed up. Needed to freeze some more and I was able to walk on top of the crust around the footprint holes I made the previous day. Not exactly hardpan and not boilerplate. A firm but friable crust.

Skiguy- "It was like a loaded cannon awaiting for something to light the fuse."

On Friday I was standing in the town road looking at the pond growing at the head end of the culvert, which was now a few feet above the road. And was imagining it bursting forth and washing me across the street and down stream. I was trying to determine the best spot to kick at the snow to make it happen.

Lots of ice in the north country yesterday, and some snow squalls throughout the day. Even with a few warm days this week, I think there is hope for several more weeks of snow sports if the temps stay cold at night and hopefully we pick up a few inches of snow here or there, if not a big storm.

Pray to the Snow Gods. It's not over until it's over. Here is a bit of stoke from better times. https://downeast.com/features/ski-m...yshm7VRNUFZB_Dzcc6hojEtmlgYAL48vwXxqxP90OLGmU

Some amazing stuff right there. Those guys are operating on another level. I'm too much of a scaredy cat when it comes to avy danger to embark on such an adventure. My hats off to anyone who has the skill to do it.

K-town was pretty beat up on Saturday. They closed nearly half the mountain as a result of Thursday's rain, and the terrain that was open on Saturday was...slippery concrete, mostly. Yesterday was better, but still a lot of closed terrain. Still, there's a lot of season left, and I'm hoping to get a few more days in. I was hoping to backpack the next couple of weekends with my boys - I'm not sure I've ever had to dig a tent platform into concrete before! Plans may evolve...

Looks like a snow event tomorrow. Today in CT, 60' degrees today. I'm heading out to hike locally, IN Shorts!

I drove south to a project in Lowell Mass today. I left early AM from Gorham and it was 52 degrees although I saw 34 at one point on I93, it got up to 70 in Lowell and then driving home it started at 70 in Lowell and was 32 when I got home to Gorham at 5 PM. IMO it looks like there is less snow in the woods north of Franconia Notch and slightly more in the Lincoln area. The north country is in the fringes of the forecast snow. Looking at the 10 day forecast it looks like normal winter stretch so the snowguns can do their thing. The snowmachine trail in my neighborhood is just about bare ground, its going to need a couple of storms to get to the point where it can be groomed.

I drove south to a project in Lowell Mass today. I left early AM from Gorham and it was 52 degrees although I saw 34 at one point on I93, it got up to 70 in Lowell and then driving home it started at 70 in Lowell and was 32 when I got home to Gorham at 5 PM. IMO it looks like there is less snow in the woods north of Franconia Notch and slightly more in the Lincoln area. The north country is in the fringes of the forecast snow. Looking at the 10 day forecast it looks like normal winter stretch so the snowguns can do their thing. The snowmachine trail in my neighborhood is just about bare ground, its going to need a couple of storms to get to the point where it can be groomed.

Was out on the motorcycle today and bike registered 69 degrees all along the coast road. That area is usually 3-5 degs cooler than a mile inland away from the ocean. Amazing.

Had planned to ice climb at Stone house Pond today, but what’s the point? Im expecting to hear peepers tonight!