Is the Franconia Notch Shuttle going to run in the Summer of 2022?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pedxing

Reaction score
I'm finalizing an intermediate backpacking trip for the AMC's Spring Hiking Program and wondering about the shuttle and the parking situation for July, 2022. All the info I can find is either un-dated or obviously out of date. Any info would be much appreciated.

I have not seen any official updates, you no doubt found this link from last August? http://www.newhampshirelakesandmoun...-fees-may-be-required-in-Franconia-Notch.html

Barring some sort of legal action barring it, my guess is it will be put in place, but given that the official shuttle page still refers to the 2020 season, my guess is they have not filled in the details yet. There is already voluntary fee pipe on both sides of the highway so all they have to do is set up some signs and leave some envelopes. Park staff were at North bound lot many mornings in 2021.

I hope you can connect the dots. Nothing personal but I find it interesting that the AMC does not supply their own shuttle in this area considering they are a major catalyst that contributes to parking issues that create a need for a shuttle to begin with. They really ought to put their money where their mouth is rather than relying on outside funding to solve an issue they are a major contributor to.

I hope you can connect the dots. Nothing personal but I find it interesting that the AMC does not supply their own shuttle in this area considering they are a major catalyst that contributes to parking issues that create a need for a shuttle to begin with. They really ought to put their money where their mouth is rather than relying on outside funding to solve an issue they are a major contributor to.
[Thread drift: My wife says:] Same problem here, the ADK is responsible for the Garden parking lot being very full, but they do not have a shuttle either.

This looks good. Is this an expansion of prior services by the AMC or what existed in prior years. If so I stand corrected. If not either which way it is a well needed service.

That looks to be the same shuttle service that they offered pre-COVID. This is separate from the shuttle that was running daily to ferry people from the overflow parking at Cannon to the Falling Waters trailhead.

That looks to be the same shuttle service that they offered pre-COVID. This is separate from the shuttle that was running daily to ferry people from the overflow parking at Cannon to the Falling Waters trailhead.
Thank you for the clarification.

One limitation of the free shuttle from the overflow lot to Falling Waters trailhead was that it only ran on weekends. I stayed at Lonesome Lake on Sunday night and was "forced" to hike back to my vehicle over the top of Cannon. Was an excellent hike.

IMO, if FSP figures out a way to make a profit on the shuttle they will expand its use. The proposed parking fee at Lafayette Place in theory will cover their subsidy.

BTW its not a bad bike ride from the basin or the tram via the bike path to Lafayette place which solves a lot issues.

This shuttle info popped up today while I was looking for something else. No start date listed.

https://www.cannonmt.com/the-notch/hiker-parking

Previously they were advocating that groups of hikers should be dropped off and then one designated driver should drive up to the lot and take the shuttle. Less revenue to the state but if there is limited shuttle space a good idea. This is still entirely legit. Note no comment about the proposed parking fee at the Lafayette lots that had been discussed. Pure speculation on my part is that these lots were bult with federal highway money and there are normally strings attached that preclude the states from putting in revenue sources. The downside is the state had stated that the prior year shuttles had run at a loss and that they would not subsidize them from park revenues, not putting in a parking fee at the Lafayette lots means that that source of revenue is not there to subsidize the shuttle cost.

I feel like the shuttle is a bad idea and really don't think it's doing the ridge any justice. Just because 1000 a day want to hike the famous ridge ,doesn't mean its a good idea. They should keep the lot the same size, charge a fairly large fee to park there and the people that can't get a spot, they can go somewhere else. There is very little thought in preservation, just how to keep the masses flowing up for their wonderful pictures, which by the way, will only encourage 1000's more to hike it. It's really pathetic.

No evidence of shuttle today at the lot, business as usual. I assume at some point they will put up signage to direct the overflow to the shuttle.

BTW, 6:30 AM appears to be the old 7 AM, plenty of spots at 6:30 AM. No sign of any attempt at planning upgrades to the loop.

Last edited:
One limitation of the free shuttle from the overflow lot to Falling Waters trailhead was that it only ran on weekends. I stayed at Lonesome Lake on Sunday night and was "forced" to hike back to my vehicle over the top of Cannon. Was an excellent hike.

Well, you could have walked the bike path without going over Cannon.:D

Problem with not running the shuttle is that they will just park along the highway. You can't tow 100's of cars, the impoundment lots aren't that big and having them walk several miles or whatever the distance to Littleton or Lincoln isn't the answer. (1st fatality will be tried in court & potential verdict would pay for a shuttle for 100 years) Maybe we just need a rainy summer so people get sick of being out in the bad weather. We invite tourist and then make them miserable and provide no services or places for them to park? Sure Catskill businesses would love to have White Mtn. and ADK High Peak crowding problems.

Well, you could have walked the bike path without going over Cannon.:D

Problem with not running the shuttle is that they will just park along the highway. You can't tow 100's of cars, the impoundment lots aren't that big and having them walk several miles or whatever the distance to Littleton or Lincoln isn't the answer. (1st fatality will be tried in court & potential verdict would pay for a shuttle for 100 years) Maybe we just need a rainy summer so people get sick of being out in the bad weather. We invite tourist and then make them miserable and provide no services or places for them to park? Sure Catskill businesses would love to have White Mtn. and ADK High Peak crowding problems.
No parking enforcement has been paramount along Franconia Notch Parkway. Therefore this line of reasoning is moot IMO.

No parking enforcement has been paramount along Franconia Notch Parkway. Therefore this line of reasoning is moot IMO.

Exactly! They rope off the shoulders so there is no place to park.

No ropes up yet this year just a whole lot of no parking signs. Plenty of room to park in between them ;). There has to be enforcement or folks will find a spot. It just comes down to DOT just does not want parking on the road and Franconia State Park does not want to upset the tourists. They admitted this is not a great option but this is first year where they run a full season due to Covid. The first year they did it was a last minute affair. They have admitted in the past that they really do not want to get into the shuttle business. If they can break even on the service, they then can ramp up with new equipment next year.

It is generally illegal to park on the shoulder of any Interstate highway for any non emergency reason. Actually, this goes for almost any highway.