Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How “Essential” Are the Ten Essentials? According to This Study: Not Very

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
    I’ve seen more than one child of nature hiking barefoot in the Whites. Shoes not essential.
    .....and on Summer Solstice some think clothes are not either.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

A Monadnock study does get a fair number of people, so a decent sample number, however, it's probably skewed between those who know it well and what they are doing & also those with nary a clue. It's certainly a short enough trip where barring injury, food would likely not be needed. (But how much does a (insert brand here) bar weigh, or even some cookies? I've always brought something)?

I would think you would get a different answer waiting at the Brother's lot (Marston Trailhead? it's been too long & I'm not looking it up.) at BSP but you'd have to wait a month to get 900 people.

Depending on the weather and time of year, Monadnock and Greylock, as well as Osceola or Tecumseh rarely would require much of the gear & most of us on the board who have been to these places many time could get by without the map.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    Depending on the weather and time of year, Monadnock and Greylock, as well as Osceola or Tecumseh rarely would require much of the gear & most of us on the board who have been to these places many time could get by without the map.
    A hike up Greylock in the summer takes about 2 hours, then you can stop at Bascom Lodge for a cheeseburger and beer before hiking back down.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    Gros Morne to Denali. Pretty impressive. Oh the stories that pad could tell.
    Gros Morne to the Arrigetch, but damn close! And, yes, it's seen a quite bit.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
    I’ve seen more than one child of nature hiking barefoot in the Whites. Shoes not essential.
    Yup. My list has 30 non-essential items, which includes shoes.

I find list like this to be too subjective to be worth much. How many hikers carry a compass and have no idea how to use it? answer, most of them. I carry most of the list, always carried matches in a waterproof container. I do not carry any shelter or sunscreen, actually, I have never used sunscreen in my life, even at altitude.