Infinite Storm Trailer...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought it was filmed in Slovenia? Why they went through that expense and didn't do it in NH seems pretty bizarre. At any rate, I watched this trailer earlier and it looks like it is going to be wildly distorted from the actual story. Knowing the area and the trails I don't see how I'll be able to get past the thousand foot high cliffs and raging rapids.... of the Jewell Trail.

I thought it was filmed in Slovenia? Why they went through that expense and didn't do it in NH seems pretty bizarre. At any rate, I watched this trailer earlier and it looks like it is going to be wildly distorted from the actual story. Knowing the area and the trails I don't see how I'll be able to get past the thousand foot high cliffs and raging rapids.... of the Jewell Trail.

You are correct. It was filmed in Slovenia.

Did anyone else break out laughing starting at about 1:40?

On the upside, so much meme potential! I'm definitely muttering 'This storm's too big, I'm not gonna make it!' at crowded summits from here on out. Also, 'See you soon, b***h!' And 'Ahhhhhhhhhhh!'

I will watch The Crows Have Eyes III: The Crowening before I watch this.

https://www.outdoors.org/resources/amc-outdoors/features/emotional-rescue/

If this one makes a buck, no doubt the inevitable Kate M movie will get made.

From a movie perspective the Mastrova story would seem to be a much better choice given the circumstances, the huge SAR operation, etc. Ty's book was a page turner and I could see that translating well onto the big screen. Pam's story is a great story but I don't think there really is enough there to put people in seats for 2 hours.

Will it be told like they are on Washington? Wonder what time of year, the actual time of year or in winter. the overdramatizing of the weather and events, make me think they will make it more like winter. The choice of death that "John" set out to do was the same as Guy Waterman.

Hopefully some money went to Pam and the PVSAR or other group locally for the rights of the story. It's too short to get much info on, however, it reminded me of "The Mountain Between US" which wasn't a climbing movie, it was a plane crash on a mountain story with Idris Elba.

As the AMC recount and the comments from the MWO show, mid-October can be full-on winter and full-on winter won't leave the Presidentials three weeks from now either. As most of us know, some days might be nice, but some may be January like. I'll continue to say that April and October are the most dangerous as some folks will show up prepared for Spring or early Fall and run into winter. People don't go in January thinking it's summer.

From a movie perspective the Mastrova story would seem to be a much better choice given the circumstances, the huge SAR operation, etc. Ty's book was a page turner and I could see that translating well onto the big screen. Pam's story is a great story but I don't think there really is enough there to put people in seats for 2 hours.

IMO these movies get a bit over dramatized. I did not find the book about Mastrova that good and it did not really address the true nature of the situation rather romanticizing it. So I guess that would make it good subject matter for another over dramatized movie.

IMO these movies get a bit over dramatized. I did not find the book about Mastrova that good and it did not really address the true nature of the situation rather romanticizing it. So I guess that would make it good subject matter for another over dramatized movie.

A bit? You're funny. Hollywood = excessive over-dramatization that is nearly always terrible. Watch Cliffhanger or Vertical Limit lately? Even The Eiger Sanction, which many herald as having some more normal climbing in it, was pretty ridiculous if one is being honest. Like George Kennedy was going to climb the towers. Sure. (and I liked George generally)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akqcYEIXoEo

Alex Honnold gives his verdict on climbing movies.

Back on topic - all action movies based on natural events are over dramatized. If not, they'd be a documentary. Your typical movie fan wouldn't know the difference. If they filmed it exactly as they happened, the paying public would find it very boring most of the time. Only those who are close to the topic and have "lived it" would know the difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akqcYEIXoEo

Alex Honnold gives his verdict on climbing movies.

Back on topic - all action movies based on natural events are over dramatized. If not, they'd be a documentary. Your typical movie fan wouldn't know the difference. If they filmed it exactly as they happened, the paying public would find it very boring most of the time. Only those who are close to the topic and have "lived it" would know the difference.

I strongly prefer documentaries although many have agendas that are a bit annoying so you always need to understand who is producing them. But anything closer to reality has always been far more interesting than embellished/CGI.

A bit? You're funny. Hollywood = excessive over-dramatization that is nearly always terrible. Watch Cliffhanger or Vertical Limit lately? Even The Eiger Sanction, which many herald as having some more normal climbing in it, was pretty ridiculous if one is being honest. Like George Kennedy was going to climb the towers. Sure. (and I liked George generally)
OK “really” dramatized. Kind of like this.
https://youtu.be/grv3d55FOkk

I strongly prefer documentaries although many have agendas that are a bit annoying so you always need to understand who is producing them. But anything closer to reality has always been far more interesting than embellished/CGI.

Oh absolutely. Not a huge fan of the over-dramatized myself.

I did not find the book about Mastrova that good

Really? I thought that was a great book. I thought he did a really good job detailing the whole scenario, discussing the SAR operations, the search, etc. and his writing style also made a fairly matter-of-fact incident much more "captivating" than the typical break down of these types of accidents. I also like how he delved into the risk management side of it and the generic process of evaluating risk, why we choose what we choose, etc. I actually read a few other books on the topic that he referenced in the appendix (one of which was outstanding and whose title escapes me at the moment). I never really thought of it as being written like a movie or a work of fiction but I felt his back and forth style kept my interest level high versus droning on and on about one topic until I fell asleep. I thought it was very well done. I think being a local story added interest too that I may not have had if this was in Oregon or Colorado or something like that.

This was also probably the first book I've read on the topic of SAR operations so maybe that gave it a higher interest level than it otherwise would have. When I read Ty's second book I found it much more ordinary despite being written with the same style and content, albeit much less risk management analysis. I've read a lot of other books about accidents on Everest and K2 and others and despite being much more dramatic stories they didn't hold my attention span nearly as well as Ty's books.

Hollywood = excessive over-dramatization that is nearly always terrible. Watch Cliffhanger or Vertical Limit lately?

I will not sit here and allow you to besmirch the memory of Sylvester Stallone and John Lithgow slugging it out on the side of a cliff on the side of a helicopter. Blasphemy! :p