Man Calls For Rescue Twice in Two Days

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was snow up there in October when we visited the Snowbowl. I think the snowbowl is at 9000ft and it was getting difficult to breathe if we moved around much. I kept looking at the summit and thinking it would be a nice hike, but walking around the ski lodge was enough to dissuade me. Yeah, I'm getting lazy in my old age

I'll guess he is a Highpointer which is why he went back twice to the same peak. The snowbowl is at 9K as Egilbe mentioned. I was looking at doing it in 2016 when we were in Sedona for a week in the summer but opted early morning and evening Sedona hikes and a family friendly hike on the Lenox Crater Trail in Sunset Crater National Monument.

I wonder if he has a blog or something as he is doing state high points. How many has he done before this. Prepared for a winter hike? I could see where afternoons up there are warm enough to cause soft know to stick to crampons, if he had them. Curious what the injury was and where he got the lost the day before.

We did it in summer and it was hard enough, partly because we went from negative elevation (Mojave desert) to 12K+ feet in less than 24 hours! The route is mostly easy (in spite of what the article says) if you can follow the trail in Winter. But elevation may play a role in needing a rescue as well.

Even though one of my mantras is "Don't read the comments", I fell into the trap. The comments following the article are incredibly ignorant and biased. Apparently everyone from NY is rich and stupid. :rolleyes:

From the NY Daily News and with his Instagram blurbs included: https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/t...ed-twice-in-two-days/ar-AAUOiRN?ocid=msedgntp

Thinking of a Marvel super-hero and no, not Captain America because he's from Brookyln also. Likes to talk about Wolverine....
SAR said rescue, he says in Instgram, late start, like that's somebody else's mistake? Posted plenty on Instagram, brought a comb or brush for the selfie (unless the precip was White Rain from the 80's) but it appears no spikes, no hat.

Pardon me, I have a list to re-arrange

From the NY Daily News and with his Instagram blurbs included: https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/t...ed-twice-in-two-days/ar-AAUOiRN?ocid=msedgntp

Thinking of a Marvel super-hero and no, not Captain America because he's from Brookyln also. Likes to talk about Wolverine....
SAR said rescue, he says in Instgram, late start, like that's somebody else's mistake? Posted plenty on Instagram, brought a comb or brush for the selfie (unless the precip was White Rain from the 80's) but it appears no spikes, no hat.

Pardon me, I have a list to re-arrange

Not a single mention of how he got off the mountain in his post.

We did it in summer and it was hard enough, partly because we went from negative elevation (Mojave desert) to 12K+ feet in less than 24 hours! The route is mostly easy (in spite of what the article says) if you can follow the trail in Winter. But elevation may play a role in needing a rescue as well.

Even though one of my mantras is "Don't read the comments", I fell into the trap. The comments following the article are incredibly ignorant and biased. Apparently everyone from NY is rich and stupid. :rolleyes:

The NY Daily News Comments were not as bad. I think he mentioned Kilimanjaro and if he made the trip out there, he's probably a highpointer. As someone mentioned, Flagstaff has winter. I'm guessing he's made the trip to Kilimanjaro and with a guided trip, guides make all the decisions.
The only research he needed was researching guide services. If you bring the gear on the gear list and get a plane ticket and be generally fit and write a check, you to can go.

In general while things could have gone worst, if he learns that he needs to do a bunch of research and even in the SW, 12K and 13K peaks require gear and decision making. If he has a good job, thinking he does, he'll pay for the Rainer guided trip. Hood, Borah, King's Peak, Granite, Wheeler, Gannett & obviously Denali won't be as forgiving and rescue likely not as quick either. (He'll need to a permit for Whitney)

Just wait until this guy finds out there is a place called "McDonalds" at the base of Tuckerman's Ravine.

Just wait until this guy finds out there is a place called "McDonalds" at the base of Tuckerman's Ravine.

I thought that was HoJo's and Lunch Rocks? Now, here and NETC are about as high tech as I get, but I think his Instagram page has been taken down.

Correction: The post taken down and his Instagram feed is private. He does list the seven summits and he has one down. Time to take the AMC or ADK skills course. Inspired by Kate?

Last edited:
I thought that was HoJo's and Lunch Rocks? Now, here and NETC are about as high tech as I get, but I think his Instagram page has been taken down.

Correction: The post taken down and his Instagram feed is private. He does list the seven summits and he has one down. Time to take the AMC or ADK skills course. Inspired by Kate?

Your right. Brain Fart on my part. I guess he will have to be satisfied with an ice cream cone then instead of a Big Mac.

FWIW, the comments are pretty harsh on the 50 States Highpointing Facebook Group as well. I didn’t see anything anywhere that this guy is a highpointer though. One highpoint does not a highpointer make. Having said that, Humphreys is a cool mountain in its own right. Can’t believe it’s been 15 years already since I hiked it.

Thus proving the old adage: if you carry one piece of rescue gear, make it a cellphone.
The best piece of rescue gear is that what is between your ears. The next best piece may be a compass, or it may be a map, or it may be a fire starter, or it may be a waterproof tarp or a dry sleeping bag, or a whistle , or a mirror... or it may be whatever item is most necessary to survive or (better yet) to self-rescue for the conditions you find yourself in. In every case you most need to know how to use each of those items, especially the first one on the list above. My "old adages" far predate the invention of the cellphone and have never failed me.

Last edited: