Shipwreck of Shackleton’s Endurance found

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can see this as the beginning of a Shackleton movie just like the Titanic! This survival story is still inspiring after more than 100 years!

And its condition is AMAZING! Fantastic video and photos. What a wonderful achievement.

It was only 4 miles from Frank Worsleys last calculated position in 1914. Another testament to his navigation skills.

And its condition is AMAZING! Fantastic video and photos. What a wonderful achievement.

It was only 4 miles from Frank Worsleys last calculated position in 1914. Another testament to his navigation skills.
Yes simply amazing. One of the reports I read stated that it’s amazingly preserved condition was due to the water being so cold. Which facilitates an environment that microbes that would normally feed off a wreck like this in warmer water are not present.

Chances are that it drifted a considerable distance while on the way down.

Possible. I think his most amazing achievement was his open-boat nav from Elephant Island to South Georgia.
Of course.
As a former USAF aircraft instructor navigator myself, having navigated over the Polar regions using celestial techniques prior to the existance of GPS, and now a recreational land navigation instructor/guide, I can certainly appreciate the impressive precision of Worsley's effort and dedication.

Last edited:
Lots of interesting history associated with that expedition.

Attachments

• 800px-Harry_McNeish_Gravestone_cat.jpg
    800px-Harry_McNeish_Gravestone_cat.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 40
  • Stamp_-_Perce_Blackborow_&_Mrs_Chippy.jpg
    Stamp_-_Perce_Blackborow_&_Mrs_Chippy.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 255px-Wolf_Howard._Mrs_Chippy.jpg
    255px-Wolf_Howard._Mrs_Chippy.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 31
Last edited: