Super Stiff yet Super light Hiking Boots?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spiny Norman

Reaction score
After spending the winter knocking around in my Lowa Alpine Expert, https://www.lowaboots.com/mens/mountaineering/alpine-expert-gtx-lime-black, boots I am looking for a very stiff boot for the rest of the year. However, I'm looking for as light as possible.

The Sportiva Aequlibrium look promising. https://www.sportiva.com/aequilibrium-st-gtx.html

I'm not happy to go back to heavy boots, my all time favorite hikers were the Nike AC flip flops, however the condition of my feet demand it.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

The Limmer lightweight model may fit your bill. Not inexpensive, but they are by far the most comfortable boots I have ever worn. Stiff leather uppers, easily made waterproof. Mine have never leaked. https://limmerboots.com

Last edited:
I'll be first, which ever brand fit's your feet. If the Lowa's fit well, I'd suggest looking at another Lowa, often times they use the same last. (This is why certain brands fit your feet and others don't)

I'm looking forward to wearing a pair of wide boots this spring for the first time. I've not had issues with regular boots as far as pain or blisters, just that fabric boats over time blow out by the outside of the widest part of my feet.

I'll be first, which ever brand fit's your feet. If the Lowa's fit well, I'd suggest looking at another Lowa, often times they use the same last. (This is why certain brands fit your feet and others don't)

I'm looking forward to wearing a pair of wide boots this spring for the first time. I've not had issues with regular boots as far as pain or blisters, just that fabric boats over time blow out by the outside of the widest part of my feet.
Great advice. I have been involved with selling outdoor footwear for over 35 years and have sold both these brands. Echoing what Mike has said certain brands have unique lasts. Lowas run a bit on the wide side as LaSportiva is typically narrow.

Thanks for the responses. I really didn't think I'd have to hit the "Fit is King" button though. ;)

Limmer Lightweights are 32oz per boot for my 10.5. Not light. I love them for working in the tree nursery but not keen to lug them uphill. The Aequilibriums are a claimed weight of 23 ozs.

I'm looking to get into that neighborhood for a three season hiker thats super stiff. I've done a fair amount of research but was hoping someone had experience with similar boots, thw Mammut Taiss for instance. And was holding out hope someone was going to reccomend a boot I hadn't heard of. Maybe Boreal has something or ???

Thanks again.

Not that it directly relates to your question, but I have a pair of La Sportiva boots (similar to the Nucleo -I couldn't find the exact style I have on their site-they are a few years old). They are quite light, have good support and have a really grippy sole. I'm pretty happy with them. They're my shoulder season boot when I'm transitioning into and out of trail runners. I don't know that I'd call them "super stiff" but they are a good boot in my opinion so if you're considering that brand in general I'd recommend. I have wide feet and the brand is known for having a narrow footbox but for whatever reason I don't find the fit to be too bad. I have the previously mentioned boots and have also owned several models of their trail runners and the fit is consistent.

I'm looking for a wider toe box like the Altra's, but their boots aren't sturdy enough for ADK or White Mt. trails. I used to love wide Scarpas, but my feet don't tolerate them anymore.

I had a pair of EMS make up boots (perhaps from Zamberland?) that I used for 10 years or so. Wore the soles off. Low/mid cut. Leather. No GTX. STIFF SOLES! Wish I had bought multiples.

For the past several years, I've been using my very old school and very heavy Fabiano Rias (nicely resoled by Limmer). My hip flexors tire on the uphill but man o man... It's insanely nice to roll off the trail with my failing feet feeling great. Honestly... Nothing feels as good on my feet as that style of boot. It's just the weight.

If I had 10.5 feet, I think I would have found Nirvana in the Scarpa approach shoes I tried last year.

Alas, their 48 ran a bit short for my 14 feet and my left toe nail is just about regrown. And thank you REI for your generous return policy.

This year I'm trying a pair of Lowa Renegades. They are not as stiff as my Rias but they are stiffer than any other light/mid weight boot that I could find. I'm hoping they will work for my day hike boots this summer (assuming I can get the 2nd Morton's Neuroma removed this spring).

EDITED TO ADD: Another big bonus for me about the Lowa boots is that they are available WITHOUT GoreTex. I got the Renegade Leather Lined version. I simply won't hike in GTX footwear in warm temps. I'm very glad Lowa makes the non Gtz option. Doesn't matter if they don't fit or aren't stiff enough though.

Last edited:
Yo Pinnah,

I have the Renegade Low and they are much stiffer than most low cut hikers. The mid cut has a stronger stiffer stabilizer than the low. Also the Lowas Task force shoes all have a stiffer stabilizer than the hiking version of the same or similar. The trade off is a slightly less grippy outsole.

Which model Scarpa approach shoe did you try?

Thanks All.