Mt. Greylock

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sierra

Reaction score
I want to hike up Mt. Greylock with my dog. I know zero about the mountain and the online maps are very confusing. I found a route "the Cheshire Harbor trail" 6.2 out and back. Is this a decent route? I'm just looking for a moderate ascent, nothing long or winding. I figured, I would check here for a no nonsense answer.:D Thank you.

Cheshire Harbor tr.is you best bet,the "easier" ones on the eastern side of Greylock.Over the years I must've climbed it well over 100 + times usually using the western side approach trails.Roaring Brook Trail is a nice meander along the brook before you start to climb,it's listed as strenuous but it's really nothing continuously steep and it levels off once you near the campground and from there it's just under 2 miles to the summit round trip just under 8 miles.The Hopper is another option not as scenic as the RB,starts off gradually and not a prolonged steeper section levels off till you again reach the campground at 2.4 miles and another 1.7 to the summit.

Last edited:
There are a few waterfalls that don't require much of a detour from the ridge road, this is the best time of year to visit them. Gould trail goes right past one of them and is a nice straightforward hike.

I'm a Cheshire Harbor fan, never steep along the way, the road walk once you reach is provides very good views from a couple of scenic viewpoints. It there is enough snow, the snowmobiles will use the road. Last there in December2021

I've only done Greylock once and I came in from the trail head on Pattison Rd (North) and took the AT all the way (I think it was 8-9 miles round trip??). It is initially fairly steep but well graded (certainly nothing that would give you any issues given your experience level) but then levels out for many sections. The ridge walk up to Williams and then Fitch is really nice, with views and very interesting forest and terrain. I really enjoyed it. The last 1/2 mile or so coincided with some ski trails and the highly developed summit was anticlimactic but it is still a pretty cool hike. There is a really cool weather shelter just off the summit with old wooden benches and fireplaces that I hung out in to dry off a bit and have a snack. I did it in late Fall I think on a really cold and rainy day so the summit obelisk was enshrouded in mist. Adds a real cool vibe to the summit given it is a war memorial. Would probably be a very different experience on a nice day filled with tourists screaming and running around.

When are you going? I have found that Cheshire Harbor and the Old Adams Road can get a bit muddy in early April. It's still my preferred way up, if I was hiking at that time of year, I'd probably just do another hike. From SE CT, going Bear and Round or Race & Everett would be the same energy as Greylock. 9Race can be a bit muddy also the other though is usually good in all conditions. Here are some Greylock pics.IMG_5834.jpg IMG_5839.jpg20211229_140012[1].jpg

On bad days, tree coverage is close by

Last edited: