Kearsage North Rescue

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.necn.com/news/local/hik...ire-tower-he-climbed-to-take-a-photo/2711187/

Their photo is tad bit misleading. The stairs up to the tower are quite steep probably twelve steps in one straight run. They are definitely not up to any code and best climbed facing the stairs and definitely not recomended to be descended facing out. The bottom of the stairs is solid ledge with a foundation on one side. At least there is plenty of room to land a helicopter.

Is this not the Kearsarge North Fire Tower? The other photo is the Kearsarge fire tower in Warner, not Kearsarge North (Pequawket). Where did this incident actually take place? The article says North Kearsarge in Chatham, but shows the steel tower in Warner. A fall from the Warner tower would likely be a bit more serious than the tower in Chatham 27 feet versus 10 feet.

Kearsarge North Fire Tower.jpg

Since the article stated that he was taken to North Conway for medical we must co0nclude that the New Organization used the wrong photograph.. My next question is: Did the look at both photos they had on file and used the one which seemed more sensational as seems to be common in the news business.

Last edited:
Is this not the Kearsarge North Fire Tower? The other photo is the Kearsarge fire tower in Warner, not Kearsarge North (Pequawket). Where did this incident actually take place? The article says North Kearsarge in Chatham, but shows the steel tower in Warner. A fall from the Warner tower would likely be a bit more serious than the tower in Chatham 27 feet versus 10 feet.

View attachment 6818

Since the article stated that he was taken to North Conway for medical we must co0nclude that the New Organization used the wrong photograph.. My next question is: Did the look at both photos they had on file and used the one which seemed more sensational as seems to be common in the news business.

I wonder if the news pic is a generic fire tower shot. I don't recall the tower on K south being that tall.

In the K north pic I don' see any stairs at all! Maybe a ladder? Tower has been redone since pic was taken.

Various news reports confirm Kearsage North in Chatham as the site of the incident. Your photo of the correct tower on Kearsage North is somewhat dated as the majority of the support structure was replaced a few years ago. There was also a very fine quality floor replacement done which no doubt is now full of crampon scars. No doubt some news employee just searched for a file photo and had not been to the actual tower. The stairs are not visible in the photo . They are on the NW corner directly under the outer deck and I think the shot is from the south exposure.

My larger concern is if the USFS decides to close access to the tower because the stairs are not built to code. It is historical structure so that may save it. The stairs are closer to a ships ladder than conventional stairs. Given the fine views from the tower deck, it would be quite easy to accidentally step sidewards and down the stairs while taking photos. In industry, open stairs on platforms have to be protected by safety gates similar to these https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/adjustable-spring-safety-gate?ref=5 to prevent inadvertent falls down unprotected openings. The alternative to a steep set of conventional stairs that may fit would be alternating tread stair http://www.stairsuk.co.uk/alternating-tread-staircase.html They look funky but definitely preferable to a ships ladder or steep standard stairs. I have specified them a couple of times on industrial projects. Initially most folks have a tough time using them as they feel unnatural due to the slope angle but after a few weeks they get used to them. The work really well in small cabins for loft access.

View attachment 6818

It's probably just a stock photo. Because that's not the one on Kearsarge either. The one one Kearsarge isn't that tall, doesn't have a deck, and has a lot of junk attached to the tower.

9edHGcn25HM10djMOe42lAAcRRiu8bbNtY4X3DU1Rq8qRnMVrDWs99sdP6WIYQ2eG3FNqaNsUad3QWljYZ4uxHXjNBghJFPfABiLg7dGGzDzmIzredoLv266ov255Px8bpRPhWqLJu7smP1mX-FDUvoUzV-Mj0XRPZblODoyJaFXPP3Z9qqt1_aKE7ezJJqgDhq3O9KFP2dj2n1tWSI5usY2JfVWFrpVHOskLOwjaBr5wv0WGvPiCQ5oUCE16E38zkI4Vx-bpF91mnZVaboJFoWe6qMk7v20yqfoO-pKyS2f1hYaG28-fMXsdTOw7fm2wiD3jj2hm7b2UKhcmcSWRI_OWd0zMt8F_RLIe1Otce9K41d_Lg2GeNcOIBgu140uPtEReVg2DmIvhK4X-rrG3TkhG2aDioaQPXPIfXcglMHMWn4PCWWHfu-RzR3VtEAhfwSUAcmiCZNPA6AwrG9YrGiVLSCRyO7QPqpwmcpAhnXfXWMhsCI_CYUcyRW_hNSzpDKj0lPKiPKRYjq7XGKns42C5AlmwksZhJFKWWL9qB756ktF1cc6Ei6UDxO_VKNOfUwvtZu8S0rZKpOIEJjPHDmScKw6HDm_hJ-hRXlzJ_wZTp7KmkODvjn-5g4Q1DSoEodKDzNVgDrHYDv57nxhSePiRIH4pCFnQy4VbOvtFLCVYyIkKGEVRHqvyGUVH6CXIIxT-8ADK2pYNkQrTMt5u0QLoQgExJ8uIM5j10xHTKJl8xoGqRH_284amcC2=w624-h903-no

Last edited:
We saw the S&R Blackhawk heading to the scene. My understanding is they didn't land but instead used the hoist. Fryeburg fire & rescue was also called. Will the injured hiker have to pay rescue costs? It's a steep hike off the summit and the trails still have some ice on them.

Bummer for that guy. Climb a mountain. Then get hurt falling down the stairs.

Better than falling down your basement steps. Peakbaggers's picture looks pretty good. I was there last year and the floor was still in pretty good shape.

Will the injured hiker have to pay rescue costs?

It depends if the hiker is deemed to have been negligent or not. Negligence is taking the care a reasonable person would take. Hiking in sneakers, say, with no traction, might be deemed unreasonable, as would calling for a rescue because one was lost and lacked a map, or calling for a rescue because it got dark and one lacked a headlamp.

If one is not deemed negligent, then no, one will not be charged.
If one is deemed negligent, then the person will be charged, unless they have a Hike Safe Card, in which case they will not be charged.

Brian

Of course, the Hike Safe card is not a "get out of jail card" as you can still be charged if you acted in a reckless manner.

Of course, the Hike Safe card is not a "get out of jail card" as you can still be charged if you acted in a reckless manner.

Reckless conduct, however, is a criminal offense and subject to a jury trial, so it is significantly more serious and uncommon.

Reckless conduct, however, is a criminal offense and subject to a jury trial, so it is significantly more serious and uncommon.

Negligent hiking can cross the line into recklessness in some cases. A person ascending the the Tuckerman headwall in winter in sneakers (as once was done quite a while back) is reckless. I'm pretty sure this is not criminal behavior. Criminally stupid, maybe.

Negligent hiking can cross the line into recklessness in some cases. A person ascending the the Tuckerman headwall in winter in sneakers (as once was done quite a while back) is reckless. I'm pretty sure this is not criminal behavior. Criminally stupid, maybe.
If it puts others (rescuers) at risk, then it could be reckless.

iMO Reckless is in the eye of the beholder and I expect that F&G has avoided litigating the definition. The fee for rescue is not a criminal statute, its just a method of recovering tangible state incurred costs for rescues. I think the burden of proof on the states part is far lower than a criminal prosecution.