Moose are out on the roads in the whites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They hang out in the deeper woods usually away from roads and people, they start moving in the spring and hang out by roads in wet areas that tend to go green quicker than the surroundings plus get a dose of road salt which apparently is something they normally do not get in the woods. There is also a claim that there are less biting insects along roads.

Back during the early eighties when the population was high, younger immature moose tended to hang out in wetlands near roads as the older dominant moose would push them out of more desirable territory. Those were the days when a trip to North Conway from Gorham would usually yield 3 or 4 moose sightings and trip to Errol along the Androscoggin in the evening would easily exceed 15 sightings. I had then actively walking around my development in the evenings.

NH and VT are planning to wipe out most of the population in hopes that it will knock out the winter tick population which is currently killing off much of the herd.

Last edited:
Winter Moose Yard. There used to be a really big Winter Moose Yard up on the SkooKumchuck Trail. I've walked through there many a time wondering where they had gone off to in warmer weather.

There was 1 on RT 3 at the low spot near the high school entrance between Whitefield and Lancaster, better be safe and slow down to 70 through there. (HA!)

Winter Moose Yard. There used to be a really big Winter Moose Yard up on the SkooKumchuck Trail. I've walked through there many a time wondering where they had gone off to in warmer weather.

I see moose on the Skook year round, particularly where the trail curls away from that little brook and cuts across that open pine area on easy grades before starting to climb again. I'd say I see a moose 40% of the time in that area when I hike the Skook.