Yearly Reminder Tick season in the Whites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Time to get the tick spray out to spray the hiking pants and gaiters. Mild winter most likely means plentiful ticks.

Latest edition of Consumer Reports tests and rates bug juice.

Bens Wilderness Formula came out the highest n most effective.

Note to cat lovers: Permathin-based repellent is very toxic to cats.

Last edited:
Permethrin in only toxic to cats when wet, once dry and bound to fabric is not.

I have never found Deet to work well for ticks, Permethrin on the other hand seems to keep them off me.

Bens Wilderness is a 30% blend of DEET, folks think that the higher the percentage of DEET the better but most tests show that the extra concentration does nothing for bug but is much harder on plastics. The other incorrect use of DEET is to lather it on. Just a dab will do as well as soaking everything.

Ticks are found year round here, but amazingly, I've never gotten a tick on me from hiking. My backyard, yeah!

Up until last year I can't say I have either but I did several hikes in Southern NH last year that I got plenty of ticks on me. Where I live in CT the ticks are totally insane at this time of year.

BTW I use 3M Ultrathon, its time release 30% DEET based product. It lasts far longer than most products. The time release aspect keeps it on the skin rather than absorbed into it. As usual many folks use way too much of it and complain that its sticky. https://www.pests.org/3m-ultrathon-insect-repellent-lotion-spray-review/ It would be ideal if some entity came up with picaridin based product with the same time release aspect. I also use a sunblock product with DEET on occasion.

BTW I use 3M Ultrathon, its time release 30% DEET based product. It lasts far longer than most products. The time release aspect keeps it on the skin rather than absorbed into it. As usual many folks use way too much of it and complain that its sticky. https://www.pests.org/3m-ultrathon-insect-repellent-lotion-spray-review/ It would be ideal if some entity came up with picaridin based product with the same time release aspect. I also use a sunblock product with DEET on occasion.

It has the same claimed effectiveness time as other DEET products and less than that of picaridin. Am I missing something?

From my reading, it sounds like picaridin and DEET are used in a similar manner and are roughly equivalent efficacy. Picaridin smells less bad and doesn't dissolve plastic, but hasn't been around as long, so there's less long-term safety data.

Permethrin is used differently (spray on and allow to dry) and it specifically kills ticks rather than repelling them.

Anyone care to comment on their experience with picaridin? I don't think I've ever used it. I'd be inclined to give it a try if it's as good or better than DEET. But if it's inferior, I'll stick with DEET (and permethrin for pre-treating shoes, socks, and packs). I don't mind the smell or feel of the mid-concentration DEET formulations.

From my reading, it sounds like picaridin and DEET are used in a similar manner and are roughly equivalent efficacy. Picaridin smells less bad and doesn't dissolve plastic, but hasn't been around as long, so there's less long-term safety data.

Permethrin is used differently (spray on and allow to dry) and it specifically kills ticks rather than repelling them.

Anyone care to comment on their experience with picaridin? I don't think I've ever used it. I'd be inclined to give it a try if it's as good or better than DEET. But if it's inferior, I'll stick with DEET (and permethrin for pre-treating shoes, socks, and packs). I don't mind the smell or feel of the mid-concentration DEET formulations.

I've been using it in place of DEET for the past 9 years or so in conjunction with permethrin. It is just as effective as DEET at repelling ticks and mosquitos without any of the common side effects.

FWIW, permethrin is also a repellent.

Anyone care to comment on their experience with picaridin? I don't think I've ever used it.

I tried a Picaridin based spray several years ago that in my opinion did not work at all. First day I tried it was a pretty bad mosquito day and I was eaten alive. I don't remember the brand, concentration, etc. I gave it a shot based on articles suggesting it was safer, more effective, not as hard on plastic, etc but I never got that far in the evaluation process. It was so bad to me that I was "one and done" with it. I've always used Bens100 (for better or worse) and I think it is way more effective with flying critters anyway.

Since I got Lyme disease a few years ago and had to stay covered up due to sunburn risk from the meds I've become more used to just wearing long clothing in peak season. I wear warm weather running tights and a sun shirt with long sleeves and a hood (OR Echo Hoodie I think) and I treat both with Permithrin at the beginning of the season. The tights prevent critters from crawling up the inside pant legs and as of yet at least I haven't found a tick on me. I've been out in 90+ deg days with the sunshirt and it really doesn't feel any warmer than using a t-shirt. I also like the lack of chemical residue, especially when I am backpacking, and not having to worry about it getting in my eyes if I'm sweating, damaging gear, etc. On those truly insane days I still spritz some Bens on my neck, back of hands, etc. Never really liked the idea of being lathered up in chemicals despite any research indicating its safety.

FWIW, permethrin is also a repellent.

Based on my experiences with permethrin (both factory and self applied) it does not repel bugs, or at least not very far. They still get close and land but do not bite, which is ultimately what helps best. I've sat in camp and watched mosquiotos and black flies land on me for extended periods (and by that I mean several seconds) and walk around. I was under the impression contact with permithrin killed insects but I do not think this is the case, at least based on my anecdotal observations. It has been a very long time since I researched these chemicals so I'm probably blurring together stats for multiple compounds. The factory application of permithrin is definitely better but I have noticed this with both types of application. (I have only done the spray application, not a soaking or saturation, so that may explain some of my lackluster results).

On the standard 4k routes, I have never got a tick. If you stray off trail and at low elevation, all bets are off. I use Ben's (the orange 33%) mostly for flying bugs and I think it's the best. 2 years ago, I bought a head net, not why I never did before, but those pesky little black fly's, a head net is a game changer. For those interested, I use Frontline Gold on my Aussie, he has never had an attached tick, they get on him, they just don't bite him. He had Lyme when I got him, it's gone as of this year, didn't even know they could shake it.