Weekend rescue

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was also in the NH F&G Page, same wording. The article makes no mention of whether they needed or had traction, just that sjte was equipped for Spring conditions.

Was also in the NH F&G Page, same wording. The article makes no mention of whether they needed or had traction, just that sjte was equipped for Spring conditions.

Who knows. I always laugh when the say " he or she was an expierenced hiker" I guess they weren't expierenced enough.

Who knows. I always laugh when the say " he or she was an expierenced hiker" I guess they weren't expierenced enough.

There's at least two posters on here who have suffered really bad broken legs while hiking. I'd consider them both pretty experienced...

There's at least two posters on here who have suffered really bad broken legs while hiking. I'd consider them both pretty experienced...

Good point. Like an ole Captain told me "If you stay out on the Ocean long enough it will get you"

Last edited:
CM trail is a nice woods walk up to Mt Surprise from Gorham, but soon after there are a lot of open slabs, potentially wet. The rock type just seems to be a but less grippy than the typical rock on Washington. Once past the open slabs the trail goes up multiple steep rock slabs in the woods which have been widened out over the years by people trying to walk along the sides to get more grip. The wide slabs are frequently wet and "greasy" Despite living nearby I rarely if ever hike it as Stony Brook is decidedly drier and easier hiking . The AT coming down off North Carter down to Imp shelter and the AT heading from Moriah to the Rattle River trail have very similar sections. In general these trails are best visited later in the summer when the sun is higher and sets farther north to dry out the trails on the North Slopes. That stretch on North Carter has claimed more than few serious injuries over the years.

Last edited:
That really wasn't what I would have questioned, it would have been "who was prepared for spring hiking conditions in the White Mountains and had purchased a Hike Safe Card."

Even on VFTT what would "prepared" mean? From what I see of regional radar when watching the local news, looks like more snow has been falling in the Whites. Most of us last week would have carried Microspikes, how many would have brought snowshoes? Probably would have depended on where you were going. Was just having the card enough for the F&G folks, or did having extra clothes needed and traction required? At some point, we won't need spikes.

This is a tough group to hang with. Sometimes like they say "Sh-t Happens". Sounds like the hiker and their companion knew what they were doing, and the situation was dealt with appropriately.

This is a tough group to hang with. Sometimes like they say "Sh-t Happens". Sounds like the hiker and their companion knew what they were doing, and the situation was dealt with appropriately.

Indeed. You shall be judged!

audible snap = osteporosis perhaps?? woman. 56 yrs. My wife is terrified of it.

Several years ago, I slipped (coming down Weetamoo Tr, of all places) and heard an audible snap when my ankle became injured. Hiking alone in the quiet woods, that SNAP seemed to echo through the forest. I may have said, "Well, that's not a sound I wanted to hear." Fearing a broken ankle, I gathered my wits and assessed my resources. I kept my boot on, took some anti-inflammatory drugs, and let them take effect. I managed to hobble back to my car, about a mile away. I couldn't bear weight very well at all and there was much swelling, so I went for an x-ray. Fortunately, it was only a sprain, but I will never forget the sound of that snap! My doctor said that sometimes a snap can be audible when a ligament moves over a bone in the case of a sprain like mine. I completely recovered, but that was not a sound I want to hear again!