Another rescue of a well prepared hiker.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike P.

Reaction score
https://nhfishgame.com/2022/05/06/injured-hiker-flown-from-smarts-mountain/

I don't really question if they were well prepared, I just wish there was some more info. I don't think F&G is lying but more details might be nice. Ice? mud? neither?

Was there ice and snow on Smarts, was the trail slick due to ice and snow or just mud? Maybe neither and he just mis-stepped? Is carrying traction required to be well prepared in the F&G's eyes or just buying a hike safe card?

If I carry all the winter gear and have a heavy pack but no card am I well prepared? For a trail runners with a dozen trail runs under their belt, does water, a light and a Hike Safe Card constitute well prepared?

I don't really question if they were well prepared, I just wish there was some more info. I don't think F&G is lying but more details might be nice. Ice? mud? neither?

Was there ice and snow on Smarts, was the trail slick due to ice and snow or just mud? Maybe neither and he just mis-stepped? Is carrying traction required to be well prepared in the F&G's eyes or just buying a hike safe card?

If I carry all the winter gear and have a heavy pack but no card am I well prepared? For a trail runners with a dozen trail runs under their belt, does water, a light and a Hike Safe Card constitute well prepared?

You might be able to give them a call and find out. There is actually a contact number in the article you quoted for the F&G officer involved. Probably better than wondering about it here.

You might be able to give them a call and find out. There is actually a contact number in the article you quoted for the F&G officer involved. Probably better than wondering about it here.

Would be cool if some local organization (SOLO?) took on the project of publishing a annual, “Accidents in New Hampshire Hiking and Climbing.”

Appalachia Journal used to cover this info in detail but I’m not sure they still do as in-depth a job. And there was usually a 12 month lag between event and publication.

The writing involves lots of interviews and fact finding, and the model is the American Alpine Club’s “Accidents in North American Mounteering”: Factual reporting coupled with thoughtful analysis and suggested alternative actions that might have prevented the event.

I hiked Smarts via the Lamberts Ridge 2 days prior to this accident. There was significant ice above the junction with the Ranger trail to the summit. I wore Hillshounds, but as with this time of year, many forego traction, as did all the hikers I came across. They were grabbing trees and for some reason, barebooting. I hiked for 7 days and there is still some serious ice up high on many peaks, yet the valleys are dry and bare, hence the fair weather hikers are out.