My.Washington

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenpoint

Reaction score
I’m planning on hiking Washington this Memorial Day weekend. I know it’s still a few weeks away but does anybody know what the snow conditions are like on the Boott Spur and Lions Head trails?

Last edited:
Here is a Monday Trail Condition report for the other side from someone who is well trusted on that site and here: https://www.newenglandtrailconditions.com/nh/viewreport.php?entryid=60725

I suspect Alltrails and FB hiking groups in NH and MA will have updates after each weekend. I'd expect snow and ice below treeline and some ice where snow may have accumulated through drifting snow. The MWO Webcam from Wildcat shows plenty of snow above the Tuckerman headwall in the higher snowfields. https://www.mountwashington.org/weathercams/wildcat.aspx

Should be extra crowded as the Auto Road is expected to open on 5/14. https://snowbrains.com/mount-washington-auto-road-nh-to-open-may-14/ If the first picture is current, (It's on the Auto Road's FB page) snowfields above treeline still have snow and snow in the upper reaches of the spruce and fir zone are usually where it melts last.

I'd expect some patches of steep icy terrain on those trails.

Last edited:
From my view of the Kings Ravine this weather is going to be breaking down the snow pack big time as a lot of the snowfields are starting to shrink. My guess is monorails in the woods. But the best advice is have a backup hike like the Moats and check trail conditions a few days before making your preliminary decision then check the forecast the morning before. BTW Black Flies should definitely be planned for.

Hiked up and down Lion Head Trail the past two days. No ice on that trail, just soft packed snow on the lower part of Tuckerman Ravine Trail to the Junction of Lion Head and some snow on Lion Head below treeline, easily bare booted or done in junk spikes. Above treeline there is a big steep snowfield above the junction of the Alpine Garden Trail but with the warm temps it was boot packed down and fun to go up and down in the very warm temps, used my junk spikes yesterday but just bare booted today, no issues at all. When hooking back onto Tucks to the summit it's 99% rock.

Not sure about Boott Spur but I'll definitely get up it soon so I'll post what I see if no one else posts here or on NETC.

By Memorial Day Weekend I wouldn't see any issues with doing a loop of Boott Spur / Lion Head as most of the deep snow to posthole through in the woods on Boot Spur should be gone.

Enjoy your Memorial Day Weekend hiking!

-Chris

]NOTE: Boott Spur has some patches of alpine flowers to rival the Alpine Garden.[/I]

[

Agree 100%. My "default" alpine flower hike is to go up Nelson Crag Trail > Alpine Garden Trail > Tuckerman Ravine > Lawn Cut Off > Davis Path > Boot Spur or Glen Boulder Trail (depending how I feel and how much is in bloom).

That big flattish area above tree line on Nelson Crag Trail (approx 4400-4800 ft) before you hit the Auto Rd is often amazing for flowers. The actual summit area of Boott Spur and the section descending down Davis Path toward Glen Boulder can also be quite amazing. If the flowers are early sometimes Slide Peak can have a pretty impressive albeit small patch of flowers. I've also caught stunning displays of flowers on the upper portions of the Wamsutta Trail, although that doesn't work easily into a loop unless you're up for a big day.

Hiked up Boott Spur today, no snow. Lawn Cutoff was snow free too. Lion Head snow fields above the Alpine Garden Trail junction are almost melted away. No need for any traction on these trails. Rhododendron lapponicum (tiny purple flowers) spotted on Boott Spur and Lion Head Trail.

Tucks still closed from Lunch Rocks to Tuckerman Junction, my guess is around three weeks away from being open. Snow is melting fast.

Yup, that hot spell really burned off a lot of snow in short period of time. The tough part is the long range forecast is iffy.