Mt. Tom , MA Parking from the north?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike P.

Reaction score
Looking at going this weekend and looking to make it a longer trip than the quick steep trip from Rt. 141. Looking for some parking intel.

Is there parking where the Mid-State (M&M) Trail crosses East St. or the small Cul-de-sac just west of the East St. - Route 5 junction. Looks like there is public parking at the Manham River/CT River boat launch and that isn't that far away either. Looks like it would be a good place to park if section hiking the Mid-State Trail.

Trying to avoid paying for parking at the State Reservation.

park at the boat ramp at the Oxbow, it's on Rt 5. follow the M&M (NET) South, clearly marked but it involves a short road walk under Rt 91.

That was quite The Hotel up there in The Day.

So we went yesterday in the humidity and we didn't make it to the top, stopping at Whiting Peak. Three of the five either didn't bring enough water or was not feeling good. I was pretty slow but okay. Educational trip, if you stay on the New England Trail (M&M) for the entire 11.2 miles to Mt. Tom, you would come close to 1800 feet or more of elevation gain getting to a peak of only 1202 Ft.

I'd try it again maybe bypassing a couple of the northern peaks and walking the old road once you reach it on the NET and then getting back on the NET just past the pavilion and playground.

That was quite The Hotel up there in The Day.

Sorry I'm late to the party on this one.

I grew up on a small dairy farm on East St. My family's burial ground is also nearby East St. Family has been there since the 1800's. My grandparents told me the hotel was quite the jem back in the day.

Parking at the Oxbow area is solid advice. There are also spots you can park off road at the other end of the range, not far from the towers and windmill area. That is the Holyoke side by the Log Cabin restaurant close to Wyckoff gold course.

Post hike food/beverage recommendation: I moved from MA to NY late 90's and to this day one of my favorite restaurants EVER is the Northampton brewery. Very close to parking and about 5 minutes from the Oxbow. Really good brews (I am a brew snob) and food has always been great. I remember late 80"s when it opened. Cutting edge back then.