Dog Sledding Up Katahdin

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sad that Hayes' endeavor involves so much politics to begin with. Alas...

Some things should be just left alone. Publicity stunt at best. Seems like it would cause some unnecessary environmental damage also. Not sure exactly what route he would take but either way it can’t be prime dog sledding getting up on to the table lands. Then all the media evolved including drones which this gentleman already used on his last stunt. Also would this be precedent setting? Leave it be.

Baxter allowed a lot of things to occur during his lifetime in the park that he excluded in the Deeds of Trust and just as importantly in his public and private writings and speeches. There is multivolume document that collects both his public and private writings which is used to guide the BSP commission and on occasion the courts when there is need to interpret his intent. His writings and intent is what allowed private snowmachines into the park but only on the perimeter road. The park rangers have also used them I have seen reference to his writings with respect to pets as he was a major dog lover to the extent that he had the states flown at half mast upon the death of one of his dogs while he was in office. Its not a state park except in name only, it is predominately a wilderness preserve (with the exception of the SFMA) and I just do not see running a dog team through the center and most wild part of the park in keeping with the Wilderness. He did not trust politicians and he went to great lengths to put the Deeds of Trust in place to avoid future second guessing by the whim of politicians. The BSP commission has normally stuck to his intent and on occasion over the years when the commission tried to deviate from the intent they have been brought to court.

Note I am aware of early references to people skiing to the summit , I believe one of Waterman's books makes reference to groups skiing from Russel Pond when the logging camp was still in place. I think they went via the Howe Ridge but expect that was when the area was being logged so access to territory might be easier.

It's a stunt. How many people will be in the advance team that's going to pack the trail down? I'm guessing that his route is rarely used by the winter climbing community as it involves more mileage. To make it worthwhile the advance team would need to be pretty sizable. While not the Saddle Trail, is his approach below 25 degrees, which is the lowest typically thought as the lower part of the range for avalanche prone slopes. Assuming they are descending the same way.

Will they be picking up poop above treeline? Sled dogs don't have the same diet as coyotes and wolves; therefore, their waste is not the same either.

Why? Sometimes just because you CAN do something does not mean you SHOULD.

Totally agree! Like I said some things should just be left alone. It's not like he has some scientific breakthrough to prove. The rules are pretty specific on dogs and they have been already bent for folks with emotional support reasons which is arguably a needy reason. Now just because one person and his army of trailbreakers want to drag a sled up there the rules should be bent for what is probably a relatively small audience applauding it. I think the Governor of Maine has bigger fish to fry on her plate. If your going to make an appeal at least couple it with a fund raising campaign for a worthy cause rather than some self serving recognition.

Luckily the governor of Maine has no control over BSP. The Baxter State Park Authority, a three-person authority consisting of the Attorney General, the Director of the Maine Forest Service and the Commissioner of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife, has full power in the control and management of the Park and in the exercise of all Trust obligations. She used to be Attorney General and therefore was on the commission but no longer since being elected governor. The park director would also weigh in on this but last thing I knew they didnt have one.

It's an interesting route that I've never considered. I laid it out on Gaia and it's about 7.7. miles from Russell Pond to the summit via the North Peaks trail.

The steepest section from mile 2 through 5 climbs steadily at 1000 feet per mile and, other than the summit cone would be the most challenging for man and beast. I'm guessing a lot of trail breaking would be required since that route is way off the winter beaten path to Hamlin and Baxter. But in this day and age who knows, maybe it's a well-traveled backcountry ski route! If not, better bring the deep powder shoes.

Anyone know how steep a grade a dog team can pull? I assume the musher would be jogging along next to the sled on the way up the hill.

I think the Park recently reconstructed the North Peaks trail. Anyone been on it in last 3 years? It was closed last time I was at Russell.

I was up there the year the park officially reopened it probably 5 or 6 years ago. We hiked down from Hamilin. It was nicely graded until treeline and then slabbed towards the northwest basin trail for awhile but eventually became a "fall line" trail down a steep drainage and eventually crossing Wassataquoik stream before heading through the woods on what was long ago a logging grade before intersecting the Northwest basin trail. In some spots in the drainage it was as steep as the Ammonoosuc Ravine trail above Gem Pool and probably prone to slides. Maybe he has done some serious off trail scouting, but looking at contour maps there does not seem to be a way around from very steep climbing. One of the reasons given for the closure of the North Peaks trail was a major blowdown event during a period of time when the park was lacking resources to clear it, that and the unauthorized publication of the IAT route through the park via the North Peaks trail and out via the old Wassataquoik tote road to the East closed it down. The trail through the blowdown area was cleared when we went through put some parts of it was through dense woods to either side of an obvious cut trail.

Dog sleds aside the North Peaks trail on a nice day without a doubt is very special trail in the park. It is little used. We left Chimney Pond early on a 4th of July weekend Sunday and headed up Hamlin Ridge Trail then turned onto the North Peaks trail, in many places its impossible to avoid stepping on lichens as there is no trail bed. The first half of it is all above treeline. We hiked all the way to Russell Pond and as we entered the campground we met a couple using the bear line. It was the first people we had seen all day.

Maybe he will pave the way to a open dog border, then me and my dog can go for the summit as well. I never understood the no dog policy anyway, but then again, I have only been to Baxter once, summiting both peaks in 1984. After being denied a solo permit many years ago, I wrote the park off as to bureaucratic. I know it has it's diehard followers, but anal retentive doesn't even begin to describe the management of the park.

Baxter is no place for a stunt promoting his puppy breeding business.

How's Kennebunk doing being promoted as an awesome place to move a family ? Everyone liking the promotion of food trucks at Congdon's ? What do you think of the purveying of Flo's dogs ?