Are gas prices affecting your hiking?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So here's what I don't get about rapid price increases... Maybe someone can explain.

The thousands of gallons of gas in the underground Irving tanks was been bought and paid for at some fixed price per gallon.

If it takes a week or two to sell that stored and paid for gas, how can the station justify any price increase until the tanks are replenished at a new higher price?

I am always amazed how quickly prices rise (daily in some cases) and how slowly they decline.

Is there valid reason for this price behavior or is it simply oil company price gouging?

I heard the same explanation, once the bulk tank is empty the station owner has to have enough money in hand to pay to refill the tank at the higher cost. As Ski Guy mentions, gas sales are just a way of getting folks into the store to buy high margin products. I have noticed this year that while the bulk price for canned soda has not changed significantly, the price of 12 to 16 ounce cans and bottles of soda and even water have gone up substantially at convenience stores. The best deal for post hike cold (non alcoholic drink) is McDonalds $1 for any size fountain drink. Seven Eleven bought the convenience store next to McDs and everytime I have been in there the soda dispenser is not working and the least expensive cold drink is bottled water at $1.50 a bottle.