Allen Mountain

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Day Hike or Overnight

• Day Hike

Votes: 31 73.8%
  • Camp Overnight

Votes: 11 26.2%

• Total voters

1ADAM12

Reaction score
Allen is still on my list to complete the Adirondack 46. Is it better to dayhike or overnight this trip? Any input is greatly appreciated and if you think I should overnight this long trip, where is a good place to set up camp?

Thanks,
Adam

lumberzac said:
Allen is one I still need to do. I think I'm going to do it as an overnight and hit Mount Adams on the way out.

That's a great idea. Mt. Adams is not to be missed! But it's really easy to get to, so you could do it anytime and not feel like you have to fit it in with Allen.

If you do it the way you're planning, you'll also get a view to enjoy. Allen doesn't have much, but Adams MORE than makes up for it!

ADKatie said:
If you do it the way you're planning, you'll also get a view to enjoy. Allen doesn't have much, but Adams MORE than makes up for it!
Maybe it was better in the winter because we found a couple of spots off the summit with awesome views of the slide on Nippletop the Dixes and environs and of Skylight and Marcy plus all the other lesser peaks. From the summit itself there wasn't all that much to see.

We camped at the old Twin Brooks L/T site, but I do not know if that is legal now. While Allen can be done as a dayhike - and I think many do as the 5 mile roadwalks either way are pretty easy, it is nice to have a campsite to relax in the night before.
Another thought is that if you camp, stay over on night tow and teh next day, hike to Hanging Spears Falls (very picturesque) and then out via Calamity Brook - Makes for a nice 3 day adventure.

I never dayhike...

..if I can avoid it.

That said, it is awefully long trip

The common place to camp is at Skylight brook but it is against the regs, and the spot is showing some wear.On my way out I wished that I had camped at the red X on the attachment. It is nice, level, open forest and water was fairly close (down toward skylight brook and on the right). This saves about two miles or more of hiking with full packs.

I have used Joel's map from his adirondackjourney.com site.

Neil said:
Maybe it was better in the winter because we found a couple of spots off the summit with awesome views of the slide on Nippletop the Dixes and environs and of Skylight and Marcy plus all the other lesser peaks. From the summit itself there wasn't all that much to see.
You're right, Neil, and I had forgotten that we had the cloud and fog factor going on our Allen hike. The actual summit was smack in the middle of the woods, but I do recall some spots that had views. We sat down at one and ate our summit lunch! For many reasons, I was not at my optimum that day so the details were muddled.
One of my most vivid memories of that hike was celebrating Masshysteria's 46er finish. THAT was righteous!

I have done this as a dayhike and overnight and can't see much advantage to either. The dayhike is long but you don't have to carry a full pack. The overnight breaks things up but I would want something to climb the second day (or first depending on which day you climbed Allen). The suggestions for climbing Adams or going to Hanging Spear are good. The slide on Cliff is another choice if you're going to spend a few days in there.

Heck grab the Santanoni's too, while your there. There just down the road a little ways. Just a little side trip on your way back.

But day hike it Adam. A long haul and a push but well worth it in the end.

Last edited:
Adam,
When I did Allen it was a day hike. As mentioned above, it's a long, long drag of a day. Easy walking the 5-mi in and out, but simply a long haul. I thought that if/when I do it again I'd consider camping out.. and I thought that the place to do that was at the gravel pit area (although others here didn't mention it). I'd consider in and overnight the fist day and then up in the morning to the mountain and out all the way day 2. The first day in is not a full day by any means. [And I suppose if you wanted to do the reverse and get out earlier on day two (i.e. in, drop off gear and hit the top, then back to camp and out day 2) that may be a good option as well.]

As I know you are a self-proclaimed slow hiker, I'd really want to know that you had plenty of daylight and energy to do this as a dayhike.

Another piece of advise on Allen, if you can plan the weather, better to have dry because there is some slippery rock cover that is tougher when wet (although not "dangerous"). And, once you get on the open rock (not really a slide like Macomb, but exposed rock) work your way over to the left. You start out on the right of the brook, but once on the rock there is a traverse over to the left-hand side to an established trail that follows up the left hand side to the top.

Have fun, when you going?

I did this as a solo day hike. It was a long day, the slide was slippery and scary to some degree, the top was completely socked in and I had no views all day long and I often wished I had my MP3 player to keep me company. That being said, if I had to do it over (and I won't unless its the winter) I would do it as a day hike. You need to haul in a full pack quite a distance to get to state land where you can camp. i don' think it would be worth the effort. Find a buddy, takes lots of snacks, start early and go for it.

bubba said:
Adam,

As I know you are a self-proclaimed slow hiker, I'd really want to know that you had plenty of daylight and energy to do this as a dayhike.

Have fun, when you going?

Bubba I was thinking sometime late July early August when the black flies are not out in full force. AS far as being a slow hiker if it takes on average for a person to hike Allen in 10 hours its going to take me 12. I am usually 2 hours behind the faster paced hikers :)

You want to go with me? :D

1ADAM12 said:
You want to go with me? :D

Ahhh.... nope!

Crazy people do Allen more than once! Only kidding. I really thought it was a fun hike. I have to get in all the Sant. & Haystack before September, so I don't feel like I have extra time. Nevertheless, let me know closer to the actual... maybe I'll be feeling crazy! :confused:

I've done Allen twice as a day hike. It's one of my favorites. (Number 3 on my Forty-Sixer three-favorites list.) There are excellent views east, toward the Dix Range, and North into Panther Gorge.

As you approach the top, there's a good look at Redfield. I'm drawing a blank on the exact location.

The first time I was on Allen, somebody showed us a good look west toward the then-recently cleared blowdown area, but when Susan and I were up there a year-and-a-half ago I couldn't figure out how to get to that vantage point. I recall that it was somewhat precarious anyway, as we had to balance on branches, so I don't regret not finding it the second time.

You definitely can't camp at the old Twin Brook lean-to site. That's where there's a big, oversized sign with ALLEN > painted on it, pointing to the right (it's about 90 minutes to reach that pont, if I remember correctly, maybe five miles in?), and below the ALLEN marker is a sign warning that beyond that point is private property, so technically the old Twin Brook Trail is closed at that end, too.

Before I actually hiked Allen, I was expecting to have to purchase a GPS unit and night vision goggles, but it's really not that bad a hike. As I said, I quite enjoy it, and I'm looking forward to tackling it a third time with my son. Just pick a nice day, familiarize yourself with the route so you don't waste time trying to figure out what to do next, stay on the marked trail, stay off the private roads (except for the marked stretch that is open to us), and have a great time.

Incidentally, both times I've done it were in September, once at the end of the month, on the 29th, but I still made it back to my car in daylight. (I started at seven a.m., after having slept at a motel in Schroon Lake.) In fact, on the way out, it can be pretty hot in the former blowdown area, because there's no relief from the sun for that stretch, so bring a hat. And if there's a frost in the morning, mind the floating bridge across Lake Jimmy, because it's canted and the boards are slick, particularly when icy. The Allen slide is slippery, too, no matter how dry the rocks look.

I think it probably took me about 11 hours when I did it by myself [Note: Just checked my notes, and it was 11 hours one minute.], 12 when I was with Susan [Close again — 11:55.]. PinPin's done it in under six hours, but I wouldn't expect anyone to match that — at least, not the first attempt.

Last edited:
Hi Adam,

We did it as an overnight, hiking in the afternoon, relaxed at camp, early to bed, Allen the next morning, lunch at camp, and hiked out. Our experience was that finding the way was not a big issue, as there are signs and orange paint everywhere telling you where to go or not to go. There was one stretch of woods just before hitting Skylight Brook where you'll need to keep your eyes open, as the path was rather faint in that section. As others have noted, the mountain itself is straightforward, but slippery. Just before you reach Skylight Brook on the descent, watch for the main trail and be sure not to take an old abandoned trail off to the left. Have a great trip!

Allen? day hike...

Hi 1ADAM12 :)

We hiked 4 times Allen since first January 2005, always in day hike.
We hiked ?? times Allen since September 21 1996....and always in a day hike with only a exception when We hiked for the full moon.

The distance same more importance to the true...the real challenge start only after You will cross Allen brook!! On a sunny day You will be in very impressive place, hiking near a small brook with falls and very nice view to Santanoni range before the summet and near the top perfect views to Dix range and the line summets Redfield, Skylight and Marcy... :D

Have a great hike....

Pinpin Junior. ;)

Thank You!

Thanks all for the great advice. I think I will start early like around 6am-7am and that way it will leave plenty of time to complete the hike before dark.

Thanks everyone!

Adam

When we did Allen this winter my son inadvertantly left a very nice small-necked Nalgene water bottle behind about half way up the slide. Should anybody happen upon it you can keep the water but if somehow you can get the bottle back to me I'd appreciate it.