The 52 with a view list

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Word on the street is Mallagalloway is no picnic to drive too, I haven't got to that one yet.
Yes it's a long drive but worth it. This is one of the shorter ones hiking wise but is steep with easy footing. Be sure to do the side trip out the ridge beyond the Fire Wardens Cabin. This hike is a prime example of some of the unique qualities The 52 offer over the 48.

Didn't become aware of the 48 until doing several visions of the 4 peaks on Franconia Ridge. Then after finding out about it, I had NH48 tunnel vision. Not sure how I first heard of 52wav, but when I did, I sat at 47 for a year and started doing 52's. Had only done Monadnock and Chocorua prior but didn't know about the list. It does get you exploring the state. Southern most 52WAV to northern most, 226 miles.

Although many of the hikes are shorter and lower elevated hikes I personally would not agree they are all easier.
Yep.

The Baldfaces in particular are probably the most difficult hike on the list, IMO. Steep, rugged, exposed terrain, and more elevation gain (3,600-ish ft. for the entire loop) than many 4Ks.

I loved the Baldface loop. I included Baldface Knob and Eagle Crag which are worthy destinations of their own. This is one of the top hikes in NH imo.

For those who want to do the Baldfaces with a bit less challenge and some nice views, swapping in Slippery Brook Trail cuts out the ledges which can be intimidating to some especially on a wet day. The blueberries are usually better on this option.

I've only ever done it via Slippery Brook myself - that way you can get Eastman for relatively cheap at the same time. Not sure how "bad" the ledges would be for a dog either but no need to find out if there is an alternate route.

Tim

If a dog can do Welch Dickey they can do the ledges on Baldface. The ledges are mostly a series of large granite steps. Its is more exposed than welch dickey ledges as the steps are narrower and the terrain steeper. There is the specific trail route and lots of potential work arounds, my guess is typical unleashed dog will just find work arounds. That said if the ledges are wet that does increase the potential for slipping for both human and dog. The granite is course which obvious can impact dogs with thin pads but my guess is less so than a stroll in the northern presidential summits. The only other caveat is on a day with a potential for showers or thunderstorms is that that steep section of trail has zero visibility to the west. The weather can move in quick and once someone tops out there is 1 mile stretch of zero cover to the summit.

If a dog can do Welch Dickey they can do the ledges on Baldface. The ledges are mostly a series of large granite steps. Its is more exposed than welch dickey ledges as the steps are narrower and the terrain steeper. There is the specific trail route and lots of potential work arounds, my guess is typical unleashed dog will just find work arounds. That said if the ledges are wet that does increase the potential for slipping for both human and dog. The granite is course which obvious can impact dogs with thin pads but my guess is less so than a stroll in the northern presidential summits. The only other caveat is on a day with a potential for showers or thunderstorms is that that steep section of trail has zero visibility to the west. The weather can move in quick and once someone tops out there is 1 mile stretch of zero cover to the summit.

Back in 60s we had a camper slip and injure his ankle on those ledges while descending to the shelter. It had just poured during a thunderstorm as we had come over with full packs from the Blue Brook shelter. Got him to the Baldface shelter, then two of us descended to AMC Cold River Camp to enlist help. Then back up to the shelter with stokes litter followed by back down to the highway and a waiting ambulance. Oh yeah, this was all done in the dark (the litter carrying). Most accommodating people, those AMC folks.

Last edited:
The worst part of the Baldface ledges is right after the shelter. Once I was up that wet slab, the rest wasn't any worse than, say, Webster Cliff trail. Still on the terrifying 25 list though. That list is as much fun as the 52WAV.

Don't forget there are many of the 48'ers that can be made a lot more difficult depending on the route you take. Same is true for peaks like North Percy (take the old direct west side route for e.g.).