Here's a list I don't think exists: Mountains whose summit is a giant boulder

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpencerVT

Reaction score
Here is a list I don't think exists yet: Mountains where the summit highest point is a stand alone boulder or glacial erratic.
I know of at least a few of them.
Yesterday, while working on the Vermont 500 Highest List I climbed this 1,880' peak in Granby Vermont. The summit was an absolutely enormous perfectly fractured boulder which was cool to encounter.
I can think of at least a few other mountains in the Northeast where the summit high point is a giant stand alone boulder, such as Bailey Hill 3,051' in the Adirondacks. It would be cool to assemble a list of peaks with this characteristic.

52127187235_3e47429ab9.jpg

Wonalancet Hedgehog has a large boulder at the high point.

In Stoddard, NH, the summit of the unofficially-named Chapman's Hill is strewn with huge glacial boulders.

Flat Mountain (North), New Hampshire

Flat Mountain.jpg

Black Mountain, North Peak, Jackson, N.H.

Black Mountain, NW.jpg

Last edited:
I've never been there, nor did I sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night, however, I have a sneaking suspicion that Bailey Hill (NY) has a summit boulder.

Bolder on summit of Bailey Hill

Dennis Crispo next to the bolder. We were able to climb to the top using the nearby trees

Attachments

• IMG_4789.jpg
    IMG_4789.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 77
Is there a boulder near the top of Porter? I guess I have to go back. If not at the top, it's pretty close.