Hiker Rescue yesterday on Washington (Mt Clay)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
I was mentioning to someone yesterday that I would not be surprised if there was a rescue this weekend due to the potential hypothermia conditions that came in quickly over night on Friday. Its also the traditional weekend for the Presi Traverse. WMUR reported that an unresponsive hiker was carried off Gulfside trail last night. They did not report the condition of the hiker after the rescue. F&G was called by the hikers wife who had been called by the hiker that conditions were too cold and feared that would not make it down.

More details

https://www.yahoo.com/news/hiker-desperate-text-wife-prompts-201908342.html

Last edited:
I was mentioning to someone yesterday that I would not be surprised if there was a escue this weekend due to the potential hypothermia conditions that came in quickly over night on Friday. Its also the traditional weekend for the Presi Traverse. WMUR reported that an unresponsive hiker was carried off Gulfside trail last night. They did not report the condition of the hiker after the rescue. F&G was called by the hikers wife who had been called by the hiker that conditions were too cold and feared that would not make it down.

More details

https://www.yahoo.com/news/hiker-desperate-text-wife-prompts-201908342.html

Update: hiker died.

https://www.boston.com/news/local-n...es-after-n-h-rescue-in-snow-80-mph-wind-gusts

Died from hypothermia and there was snow. - And it’s almost July. So sad, rest in peace.
The Whites are seriously gnarly mountains that deserve the utmost respect and caution. Wow.

Why is it the traditional date for a Presi Traverse?

Last edited:
I have always thought its the weekend closest to the Solstice. I think Saturday is bit more popular than Sunday of that weekend as most folks need to rest up a day after the hike. One of the articles stated the deceased hiker was attempting a one day presi traverse. I think most folks take into account the weather forecast and are flexible on when they attempt it although the AMC mob of typically 20 to 40 people that used to do it booked rooms at the Notchland Inn for a specific weekend so they had less flexibility.

The Mt. Washington Road Race ran a short course (finish line part way up) on Saturday due to adverse summit conditions.

Fitz

I was scheduled to lead a Presi Traverse with AMC Boston H/B on the same day. We made the call to cancel Thursday night. I can still imagine myself up there in that weather feel quite badly for the hiker and his wife and family. How much fear both must have felt even before the loss. Admiration and sympathy are due the SARS crew who put out a great effort in very dicey conditions and still lost this one.

As always, don't read the comments on the news articles or Facebook posts.

I had to turn off the comments in the Baxter FB group, and booted a few jerks.

A friend and I were planning on hiking the traverse this past weekend but called it off on Wednesday due to the nasty weather predictions. I wish more people would watch weather reports and respect the mountains for the danger it can bring. We'll try for another weekend. So we walk a few more minutes in the dark at the beginning.

Would anyone have saved the printed "High Summits" forecast issued by the MWO twice a day for either last Friday or Saturday? I would like to see how Saturday's bad conditions, notably the high winds that developed (96 mph gust by Sunday), were forecast. These HS forecasts are as we all know super well done; sure wish Mr. Chen had checked them out.

You didn't even have to be at elevation on Saturday. I happened to decide to sit out in a lawn chair all morning as I am convalescing from some construction injuries and wanted to just observe some animals I had turned out to a new pasture area. Started with a t-shirt, bergelene heavy shirt, wool hat, and heavy pants. Started shivering quickly and added a fleece vest.
Thought about the hikers in the hills and worried for them.
Started shivering again and put a heavyweight fleece jacket on, but still felt on the verge of shivering again until I realized I was wearing Crocs, and put on mud boots. I was now able to maintain my core temperature without much activity, and spent the entire day outside.

A friend and I were planning on hiking the traverse this past weekend but called it off on Wednesday due to the nasty weather predictions. I wish more people would watch weather reports and respect the mountains for the danger it can bring. We'll try for another weekend. So we walk a few more minutes in the dark at the beginning.

That's it in a nutshell. As usual it's not just one thing that takes them out. It's a combination of things leading up. They never read the forcasts carefully or they think they can beat the system coming in also they planned it well ahead and have to go thru with it with those previous actions. On and on.

I agree Andrew that you did not need to be at elevation. On Saturday at 1 pm we traversed Sheffield Heights along I91 Southbound in a car in light rain with the heat on and the outside temperature was 45 degrees. High point on I91 is around 1,850 in elevation.

Anyone know whether the Cog was running during this accident ?

He was so close to the tracks.

There were several other documented calls for rescue and some undetailed ones. One person was backpacking on the Centennial trail (AT) in Shelburne and had a leg injury that had to be carried down, she was apparently hiking in "sandals". F&G commented the she and her companions were well equipped. Another group getting lost on Mt Willard, no gear no flashlights. There was a report that the ridgerunner on Haystack intercepted multiple parties poorly equipped for the conditions. F&G reported multiple calls for cold hikers who wanted assistance.

With respect to the deceased all indications he had a variation of "summit fever" Folks heading south on the Gulfside from Adams get fooled as the drop into Edmands Col in the shadow of Jefferson and the Gulfside from Edmands to the Jefferson Loop is very sheltered. From there its a couple of miles of full weather and wind exposure. The high summits forecast was right on Friday evening but the weather did not come until after dark/early Saturday morning. Odds are the deceased left Appalachia before the morning summit update. Most traverse folks stop at Madison Hut, I would be surprised if there was not some contact with the staff there. The latest weather conditions would have been posted for anyone walking in the hut. No idea how the solo hiker was planning to get home or back to his car but there are no good bail options until Jewell trail that do not end up 20 miles from Crawford Notch, thus hiker may have been motivated to get to Jewell trail and if need be bail down and walk Mt Clinton road.

Would anyone have saved the printed "High Summits" forecast issued by the MWO twice a day for either last Friday or Saturday? I would like to see how Saturday's bad conditions, notably the high winds that developed (96 mph gust by Sunday), were forecast. These HS forecasts are as we all know super well done; sure wish Mr. Chen had checked them out.

It was all forecasted. There were posts from the MWOBS on Facebook and Instagram previewing the storm. 2-4 inches of snow and winds up to 95mph. I was visiting relatives out in Harwich, one who is a hiker, and we discussed. The information was available should one have chosen to look for it, as is always the case.

Its either one or two things, they either don't check the latest forecast or they don't believe it. This is the exact same thing that happened to Kate M. and it will happen again. When you've been hiking in the Whites as long as I have, this not only doesn't surprise you, it doesn't phase you.

Its either one or two things, they either don't check the latest forecast or they don't believe it.

Or...they believe that they can soldier on thru the conditions due to their (fill in the blank)