Zealand Parking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TEO

Reaction score
It's been a while since I've used the Zealand trailhead. Do I assume correctly that it typically fills up on weekends? If so, by what time?

Thankfully, I never have to use that trailhead on a weekend anymore (but when I did, I never saw it full in the morning before about 8:00, at least on Saturday.), but even when full, there is ample parking on the side of Zealand Road...sometimes for a long way:)

Last edited:
Last summer I was in overflow at 7am.

I haven't used it this year but in prior years that lot is generally insane on weekends even with that added area along the road they opened up awhile back. And lots of people park for multiple days so being early doesn't necessarily help. I'd plan on being there quite early if you want to be anywhere near the trailhead.

Last Saturday on a poor weather day I got the last spot in the main lot at 8, the overflow lot was also full when I came out at 10:30, no one parking on the road at that time.

I arrived super-early and took a nap in my car before hitting the trail at about 8 a.m., at which time people were already parking on the road. Thank you, everyone who responded, for the info.

IMG_3162.jpg

Last edited:
I arrived super-early and took a nap in my car before hitting the trail at about 8 a.m., at which time people were already parking on the road. Thank you, everyone who responded, for the info.

View attachment 6845

What was your approach from that side? I started up about 1/4 mile past Shoal Pond. It was very hot and humid and ended up in man eating Hobblebush. Had to bail do to dehydration systems. Did it a month later, Eastside Trail to Thoreau Falls Tr. Much longer but much quieter and great woods.

What was your approach from that side? I started up about 1/4 mile past Shoal Pond. It was very hot and humid and ended up in man eating Hobblebush. Had to bail do to dehydration systems. Did it a month later, Eastside Trail to Thoreau Falls Tr. Much longer but much quieter and great woods.

I headed up the East side from where the Shoal Pond Trail crosses Shoal Pond Brook just below 2,600'. It was thick spruce from the get-go and then opened up a bit with some thick spots re-emerging now and again. I ended up on the ridge between the 3,015' northern knob and the summit. Some places on the ridge were impenetrable. From the summit I descended to the West-Northwest down to the Thoreau Falls Trail, it was thick in places, but not as thick as the thickness I encountered on my ascent.

Last edited:
I headed up the East side from where the Shoal Pond Trail crosses Shoal Pond Brook just below 2,600'. It was thick spruce from the get-go and then opened up a bit with some thick spots re-emerging now and again. I ended up on the ridge between the 3,015' northern knob and the summit. Some places on the ridge were impenetrable. I descended to the West-Northwest down to the Thoreau Falls Trail, it was thick in places, but not as thick as the thickness I encountered on my ascent.

Well, I'm glad I ended up taking the longer route.;)