Mt Cardigan Fire Tower to be replaced in 2023

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nartreb

Reaction score
The current tower was built in 1923, so it'll be exactly a hundred years old. Get your selfies while it's here.

The ranger on duty in the tower told me the new tower will be brought up by helicopter in a single piece. They're also bringing in a new watchman's cabin.

I wonder if its going to be historical correct identical replacement, or a modern upgraded tower equipped with telecom equipment (AKA Cannon Mtn tower "replacement" 20 years ago). ATT needs lots of towers all over the state in rural areas to meet First Net requirements and the state has a poor track record of plopping telecom towers on summits that were covered by prior agreements under the guise of public safety.

Last edited:
Do you have a source for this, I tried but could not find one.

It was news to me too, source was an in-person conversation with the ranger inside the tower. He was quite relieved about the helicopter, as opposed to backpacking steel beams up the trail.

I didn't ask for details about the new tower's design (though other parts of the conversation implied it would meet modern codes for things like stairway width and pitch). The existing tower is already "equipped with telecom equipment" -- it's a radio relay for NHDOT, and I believe there's a cell antenna there too (certainly I had strong signal near the summit, and I didn't see another tower nearby).