Hiker Rescue - I think they didnt have a map

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More than once I’ve pointed an unsure-looking group in the right direction at that junction atop Lafayette.

Since the trail stewards only do weekends, maybe there should be a sign on the kiosk stating... "If you do not have a map, take a picture of this one. It could save your life!" Don't know of it would have helped the clueless. There has been at least one other rescue (that I'm aware of) because of someone missing that turn. It's a pretty big sign. How do you walk past without reading it? Did they read it, but had no idea that was the way they needed to go? I passed someone on the Greenleaf Trail, probably a third of the way down past the hut. Got to talking and I realized they thought they were headed to the Old Bridal Path trail-head. I said you have to back up to the hut. I also said you can get back there using this trail but it would require a 2ish mile walk on a bike path to get to the lot they were in. After showing them on (their) map what I meant, and the backup of Cannon Mtn. being open for more info., they opted not to do more climbing. So sometimes having a map, doesn't mean you still can't get lost. Stop at signs, reference the map, make sure that's the trail you want.

Apparently they need to install a flashing (solar powered) sign with an arrow pointing to the hut.

They really need to do something obvious. That turn gets missed all the time and it is such a waste of resources going up there for something that simple. I know many of us, myself included, hate signs but this seems like a no brainer. This is one of the top, if not the top, mess up by hikers every year.

I can buy going some distance in the wrong direction but once they get past the Skookumchuck junction, I attribute it to something else. Dehydration on a hot day and inadequate water leading to poor thinking?. Spread out group where the leader happens to be the fastest but not the most trailwise? (I.E. blow past the junction and assume they are going the right direction then rest of the group assumes the leader knows where they are going?

Last edited:
Since the trail stewards only do weekends, maybe there should be a sign on the kiosk stating... "If you do not have a map, take a picture of this one. It could save your life!"

I like this idea, although I would suggest it be on a separate post right along the trail at the beginning, so that it stands out. I've seen museums do this in lieu of a printed map.

I like this idea, although I would suggest it be on a separate post right along the trail at the beginning, so that it stands out. I've seen museums do this in lieu of a printed map.

If you don't have a Map in addition not enough food and water to begin with chances are you're not stopping to read a sign either. Although they had their trusty Cell Phone. Guess they forgot the app for that! Interesting that after they were pampered, they were able to walk out on their own power albeit led by a Ranger. Rescues come in all kinds of ways. Excuse my Freudian Slip but this is the one that exudes a lack of brain cells from all points on the compass. Joey Bag of Donuts goes for a hike in New Hampshire. Charge their arse!

They really need to do something obvious. That turn gets missed all the time and it is such a waste of resources going up there for something that simple. I know many of us, myself included, hate signs but this seems like a no brainer. This is one of the top, if not the top, mess up by hikers every year.

So true. The report alludes to rain and wet condx. So maybe low viz was also a factor atop Laffy. These dudes are not the first and will not be the last to motor north from that summit instead of turning west. Improved signage there is probably a better idea than at the base.

Then there's the young knuckle head factor. When I was 18.....

So true. The report alludes to rain and wet condx. So maybe low viz was also a factor atop Laffy. These dudes are not the first and will not be the last to motor north from that summit instead of turning west. Improved signage there is probably a better idea than at the base.

Then there's the young knuckle head factor. When I was 18.....
Aside from a Map on the trail it is prudent to study one before leaving for your hike. Having done that one would observe that on this particular hike the junction in question is in the range of a 90-degree turn on the face of the compass. To make it all the way to Garfield Pond without questioning whether you missed that turn is a brain fart in itself. But like you said they are 18. Hopefully getting spanked taught them a few things.

I think something even more obvious like an arrow and "This Way To Greenleaf Hut and Rte 93" would be needed. If they aren't paying attention to a map than they probably don't know the difference between the trail names either.

I think something even more obvious like an arrow and "This Way To Greenleaf Hut and Rte 93" would be needed. If they aren't paying attention to a map than they probably don't know the difference between the trail names either.

I think you are right...they probably don't know where the Garfield Ridge Trail takes them. The sign should also have a proximity detector that sounds an audible alarm when a hiker approaches.

I always get a kick out of this sign...but I bet it is necessary

IMG_5295.jpg

Last edited:
Aside from a Map on the trail it is prudent to study one before leaving for your hike. Having done that one would observe that on this particular hike the junction in question is in the range of a 90-degree turn on the face of the compass. To make it all the way to Garfield Pond without questioning whether you missed that turn is a brain fart in itself. But like you said they are 18. Hopefully getting spanked taught them a few things.

Yes...but these people aren't being or aren't capable of being informed and exercising judgement. They're just taking off with a vague idea of the loop and assuming it is easy to follow because everyone is going in the same direction. If you've never done the loop before I don't know why you'd recognize the GRT part of the ridge is any different than going down the Greenleaf to the Hut. It all looks the same to someone who hasn't seen it before.

AS Daytrip as mentioned, this has happened many times over the years. While some of the above suggestions mean well and on their face are worthwhile, we are dealing with VERY inexperienced hikers, in fact, I find the use of the term "hikers" a stretch at best. They need a very large sign with something very obvious on it, not trail names (they don't know any) it needs to say, this way back to MAIN parking lot!!!!!!! There should also be another sign behind it stating " you are entering a wilderness area, turn around if you are not prepared for an overnight.

Exactly.

Look at the Laffy summit in Google sat view and you can see the issue. That is not a clean trail junction. There are many herd paths on the summit and a newbie might be easily confused, especially in low viz.

I suggest a big sign like the one atop Kathadin that mentions landmarks like the hut, Rt 93 and campground with fat arrows pointing the way.

And for you old hands who think this is dumbing down hiking think of this: if the sign reduces callouts by even 50% it’s worth it!

And for you old hands who think this is dumbing down hiking think of this: if the sign reduces callouts by even 50% it’s worth it!

A man needs to know his limitations -- Dirty Harry / Clint Eastwood