Entire Gunstock Mountain Staff resigns

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like a clash of personalities. Which is unfortunate considering that the economic growth of the mountain has been on the upside in recent years. Should be an interesting story to follow. Aside from the obvious animosity involved within the upper echelons I feel for all the other workers involved that could potentially lose their jobs. Hope something gets worked out as a lot of history is involved with this ski area not to mention the influx of money it brings to the area.

Last edited:
Ditto. Seems like a mess but we are increasingly see this behavior on all sides.

Thanks for posting. Unfortunately, this kind of management power struggle takes place probably hundreds of times a week throughout the nation and results in the destruction of some good companies and industries usually for no other reason than ego.

I think it’s goes a bit deeper than mere power struggle.

There are several NH state legislators who believe the state has no business running a commercial enterprise like a ski area. Better to privatize those ski areas and let experts manage the business and reap the profits. And this issue has surfaced regularly in discussion about Cannon, Sunapee, and Gunstock.

In this world acquisition of Gunstock by Aspen Skiing or some other big consolidator is pure nirvana. It’s largely driven by ideology not economics.

I think it’s goes a bit deeper than mere power struggle.

There are several NH state legislators who believe the state has no business running a commercial enterprise like a ski area. Better to privatize those ski areas and let experts manage the business and reap the profits. And this issue has surfaced regularly in discussion about Cannon, Sunapee, and Gunstock.

In this world acquisition of Gunstock by Aspen Skiing or some other big consolidator is pure nirvana. It’s largely driven by ideology not economics.

It is both sad and infuriating that those ideologues have ruined a good thing and acted against the best interests of the public. From all accounts there was a great management team in place who were maximizing Belknap County's profits. Maximizing the county's profits would not be in the best interest of a private company. Who loses? Gunstock's employees, skiers, and the citizens of Belknap County.

Last edited:
It is both sad and infuriating that those ideologues have ruined a good thing and acted against the best interests of the public. From all accounts there was a great management team in place who were maximizing Belknap County's profits. Maximizing the county's profits would not be in the best interest of a private company. Who loses? Gunstock's employees, skiers, and the citizens of Belknap Count

Good points both by TEO and ChrisB. Gunstock's model has been working well. I find it odd but not really that some can't see that. It seems as though it is all about who has the power and control. It is unfortunate that many Ski Areas go through this type or similar situation only to be left with a lesser product for the consumer in the end. All Ski Areas use to have personal identities that resulted in unique experiences. Unfortunately, many Ski Areas have succumbed to a cookie cutter like experience while the whole personality has been drained out of it. Again I feel sorry in this situation for the worker bees. Many folks that have been part of this mountain for a long time and deserve better.

I'd be curious to hear directly from the Commission how/why they are doing. But the article seemed to have zero interest in that. It's presented from one position only, and while I SEEM to agree with everything written in there, I cannot make an informed opinion without an understanding of the Commission's position. But with a title "Band of Nitwits..." that is never going to happen.

I'd be curious to hear directly from the Commission how/why they are doing. But the article seemed to have zero interest in that. It's presented from one position only, and while I SEEM to agree with everything written in there, I cannot make an informed opinion without an understanding of the Commission's position. But with a title "Band of Nitwits..." that is never going to happen.

This is true. So much media these days does not attempt to present both sides of the issues. This is why we have conservative and liberal media and you have to read both and triangulate. It's a lot of work.

I'd be curious to hear directly from the Commission how/why they are doing.
This isn't a complex issue, really. The Commission has been hijacked by Free State extremists who are acting against the wishes of the residents of the region. Read the statement by the head honcho, State Rep Norman Silber (a FL transplant) and decide. Keep in mind he brings in George Soros to the argument about a ski area. This isn't nuanced, it's wacko vs reality.

https://www.wmur.com/article/statem...ck-mountain-resort-management-staff/40681060#

This isn't a complex issue, really. The Commission has been hijacked by Free State extremists who are acting against the wishes of the residents of the region. Read the statement by the head honcho, State Rep Norman Silber (a FL transplant) and decide. Keep in mind he brings in George Soros to the argument about a ski area. This isn't nuanced, it's wacko vs reality.

https://www.wmur.com/article/statem...ck-mountain-resort-management-staff/40681060#

What Metsky said.

It ia an easily verifiable fact that NH has been targeted by the Free State movement. Many members have moved here with a plan to take power by becoming members of the bloated 400-member state legislature. Next job is to legislate into existence their vision of a no-tax nirvana. Close the libraries, starve public schools, reduce all services and live like a hunter gather.

It's a self-serving ideology and well described in the book: A Libertarian Walks Into a Bear, which describes the takeover of the town of Grafton NH in 2017 and subsequent problems as town government is systematically deconstructed through budget reductions.

Sad, funny, and pathetic. Even for John Galt.

Last edited:
Unfortunate to see out-of-state folks engaging in internet name calling on this matter.

Gunstock management (both the pre-2020 team and one that replaced it) have been very cooperative and collaborative with the Belknap Range Trail Tenders.

That said, I think aspects of last year's master plan were unfortunate. I am not aware of the consultant or management approaching the Belknap Range Trail Tenders for input on some significantly impactful aspects. For instance, the proposed auto road looks to obliterate the stone stair case I volunteered many days to build (both with the crew and solo) at the top of the mountain. The proposed mid-mountain hotel would be located on one of the most scenic portions of the Overlook Trail. Rental cabins appear to be sited on the Saddle, Brook, and Ridge trails. The Backside/Weeks complex looks to somehow be developed on recently protected land (not owned by the county) and would wipe out years of work on the Ridge Trail.

I hope the county can achieve a positive outcome as soon as possible. The current situation is obviously not sustainable.

Hence why it wouldn't been interesting to read the original article with comments from them, or at the minimum attempts to contact them, as to their reasoning. Which still seem unclear to me.

I'll avoid the rest of the political discussion otherwise.

Last edited:
Hence why it wouldn't been interesting to read the original article with comments from them, or at the minimum attempts to contact them, as to their reasoning. Which still seem unclear to me.

I'll avoid the rest of the political discussion otherwise.

Huh? Did you read the NHPR article in the OP? It's full of quotes from both sides. My guess is that you're unclear as to Silber, Syliva, Hough, Ness, Strang, and Lambert's reasoning, because their behaviour is only logical when perceived through their extremist ideology.

Huh? Did you read the NHPR article in the OP? It's full of quotes from both sides. My guess is that you're unclear as to Silber, Syliva, Hough, Ness, Strang, and Lambert's reasoning, because their behaviour is only logical when perceived through their extremist ideology.

And your guess would be wrong. I was referring to the hit piece that the impression has all the answers.

And your guess would be wrong. I was referring to the hit piece that the impression has all the answers.

Then look for other sources. Here's a piece in the Globe, although you'll note that Strang and Co. didn't respond to interview requests, just as they didn't respond to requests for comments from the Storm Skiing Journal.

P.s. Ness and Strang also refused to comment to WMUR.

Last edited:
Then look for other sources. Here's a piece in the Globe, although you'll note that Strang and Co. didn't respond to interview requests, just as they didn't respond to requests for comments from the Storm Skiing Journal.

Hi thanks. Again, specifically referring to the posted hit piece. I'm aware I can hunt around the internet to find details. And, I also take it back as I missed where they were asked, and didn't respond. So my comment was off-base to begin with.