Thread: Any Hot Weather Hikers Out There?

Any Hot Weather Hikers Out There?

As this heat wave drags on I was wondering…

Have any of you folks been getting out and tramping in this oppressive heat?

If so, how are you coping with these conditions and keeping it fun?
    Don't let your mind write a check your body can’t cash

Some folks tolerate hot weather better than others. I'll admit it definitely affects me. My g/f not as much. I hike slower, and drink a lot more water. In fact, I drank 2.5 liters on Saturday on a fairly easy 6-mile hike. Staying out of the sun when possible helps. On those very hot days, we like our hikes to include waterfalls or streams. There's nothing like soaking your head or feet in the icy cold water on a hot day!

I tend to run warm, so this heat and humidity is no fun. Why can't it be October all year long? I guess it's a good time to be recovering from knee replacement surgery, as all I can do right now are short hikes and walks anyway. Nothing too strenuous yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
    icy cold water
    I wish. Last two trips the water has been too warm to wet a line.

This past weekend was an ultra rare weekend where I basically didn't hike at all. My wife and I did a short 2 mile jaunt and that was it. Way too hot. Today feels even worse. I hate not getting outdoors, but this heat/humidity is so bad I'd rather huddle around the air conditioner than collapse from heat stroke.

I totally back Ken's sentiment of "why can't it be October all year long?"
    and I'd add to it:
    And stay light out until 9pm all year long as well!
    Spencer
    Bigfoot

I don't do too bad in the heat but it certainly wears me down. The struggle for me is just making sure I hydrate and use enough electrolytes.

As a dog owner, I'm limited to my dogs ability to deal with the heat. He cannot put out his normal effort in this heat, so we have been taking it pretty easy. We had to put our last 4 peaks on the 52wav list on hold for over two weeks now, as they are long and exposed. No big deal, we have been doing some de-listed 52wav peaks and they have been excellent hikes that we can finish in under 4 hours. A few more days, the weather will cool off, just in time for my vacation. It's been a hot summer, we have walked Home Depot so much, today we walked in and heard a worker yell, Hey Shay!! (my dog, lol).

I am definitely not a hot weather hiker, I do freeze my water bottles the night before and it seems to help. I usually need to do a couple of NUUN during a hike and two post hike to avoid post hike cramps.

On days like this I used to go paddling

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I am definitely not a hot weather hiker, I do freeze my water bottles the night before and it seems to help. I usually need to do a couple of NUUN during a hike and two post hike to avoid post hike cramps.

On days like this I used to go paddling
    I find I am much more whacked by heat as I age. At this point I don’t head out if the temps will be above 80 or 85. Unless it’s a short walk to a waterfall with pools (Mt Shaw Trail).
    Don't let your mind write a check your body can’t cash

This past weekend gave the name to "dog-days of August". We had a nice cold front come through Monday afternoon and now its perfect hiking weather. Of course, the weekend projects I put off because it was too hot I now need to do.

Dartmouth, Nova Scotia - Avatar: Lion Head trail
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
    If so, how are you coping with these conditions and keeping it fun?
    I coped by hiking in the Chic Chocs for 3 days https://www.sepaq.com/pq/gas/index.dot?language_id=1

Stayed at Lac-Cascapedia campground for 3 days. Temperatures did not exceed mid 70s, and dipped to 39 F on Friday night. Summits were just over 3,000 feet, but treeline is lower, so views were still excellent. Two patches of snow still visible on Mont Albert.