Hancocks campground on the Kanc closed August 11-25, 2022 due to bears

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found out some interesting information today in regards to who runs them. I talked to 2 different rangers today, Pemi. and Saco. Since Recreation.gov couldn't answer my question, "are some sites in the Sugarloafs and others, always first come first serve. I was told that is true....
https://camprrm.com/parks/new-hampshire/white-mountain/

I was there on 8/15. (Monday night) and there were several FC/FS sites available. According to the web site Sug 1 had 7 available for that night and Sug 2 had 2 available. At Noon on Monday when I rolled in most were vacant.

However, there were also several sites that had been reserved for that night that remained vacant. Which kinda of sucks if you need a site and the clown who reserved it never showed up. I was suprised at the less-than-full state given the time of year.

The new unofficial roadside camp sites on the north end of Jefferson Notch road are a lot less crowded than the last few years. The FS finally gave up and posted a no camping within 1/4 mlle of the road sign at the top of the notch (near the trailhead). This area is not designated anywhere, it just exists by default. Note the gravel pit now has a 14 day limit sign.