Longest Rail Trail in New England Nears Completion

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew

Reaction score
https://www.caledonianrecord.com/ne...cle_1acc5998-fa78-50aa-94c3-213cce7a8455.html

Story in our local paper, you might get a free read.

This is the former rail alignment of the Lamoille Valley Railroad (aka Vermont Northern RR, aka St. Johnsbury & Lamoille County RR) that stretches 93 miles from St. Johnsbury to Swanton VT. My family really enjoys this trail, and I happen to model parts of the former RR as one of my favorites. And I'm still deeply disappointed I couldn't convince my wife to buy a large land holding that was for sale abutting it a few years back (no way we could afford it).

I have to say that since we discovered the trail a few years back, I have been very impressed, no, just blown away by the progress, investment, and commitment towards completion of this trail. I don't think anything like this could ever happen in NH.

For a while with talk and development of the Cross NH Trail, which was inspired by the Cross VT Trail; I kept thinking the LVRT was the Cross VT Trail- partly since I knew so much investment was going into the LVRT. But the Cross VT Trail begins in the west at Wells River, and follows parts of the old rail alignment of the Montpelier & Wells River RR, that primarily pulled granite out of the hills around Barre VT.

We have found the (gravel) surfaces on the LVRT to be excellent and welcoming.

Wonder if it is to be used as a snowmachine corridor in the winter. Nice to see someone modeling it too. What scale?

The trail is open for snowmachine use. VAST was (is) a big partner on the project.

N scale and I'm just modeling the equipment that shows up in my fictional northern Vermont railyard (dominated by other roads). A combination of Wells River and St. J.

We have walked the trail from St Johnsbury to Channel Drive past West Danville.( ~15 miles) Very enjoyable. There are plenty of road crossings so it is easy to break the walk into sections. We look forward to continuing west toward Hardwick.

The trail is open for snowmachine use. VAST was (is) a big partner on the project.

N scale and I'm just modeling the equipment that shows up in my fictional northern Vermont railyard (dominated by other roads). A combination of Wells River and St. J.

Very nice. I should get back into modeling. No time or space right now though.