Mt Cabot Fatal

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWIW, she was a fairly recent 46R.

And FWIW again, I was not calling anyone out. I was just stating 1 fact that I thought was relevant to the discussion.

To be fair, what you shared was a vague reference to an unnamed person and your similarly vague assessment of their capabilities:

"I'll just say that this was not an inexperienced person."

That is not what I would describe as a "fact". Also to be fair, I'm apparently the only one on this forum that did not know this person and you no doubt assumed I would know the person, so it may have seemed like a fact to you. I did not take it as being called out.

I did not realize that simply thinking out loud about a topic was forbidden on this forum and that I was required to carefully document with facts and citations every single word and thought process I post here. My mistake. I thought we were just having conversations.....

To be fair........ thought we were just having conversations.....

OMG, ya just never know where a post might lead!! This thread sounds like some therapy sessions I've been in with the wife! :))

Like it or not we are a family here and behave accordingly. We got old curmudgeon uncles, wisenheimer in-laws, know-it-all cousins, and tech-savvy grandkids. We are RICH in personalities and perspectives.

So celebrate each other and our differences and pass that Thanksgiving Turkey platter without stabbing the family member to your right.

Trivia Question: Was there ever a fight (physical or verbal) at a VFTT Gathering?

Good grief. Why is everybody so defensive on this forum? I think you guys are being way too sensitive and reading a lot into this because you apparently know this person and are reading intent into what I meant as a very, very generic comment. My exact words from above:

"I have to wonder if it is a function of the post pandemic surge in hiking, maybe bringing people less fit than "typical" for a hiker, and heart related overexertion is the cause"

No reference to experience and I am speculating about all of these incidents collectively. And I also specifically stated fit people are not immune to heart disease in post #5. I have no idea who this person is or the circumstances and had zero intent to disparage the person. Like Chris, I wish there would be more information in these "medical issue" instances so there is a bit more clarity about trends in these accidents.

Haha, welcome to the party pal. On a serious note, according to a friend of mine, the deceased was not only experienced, a considerable contributor to the Flags on the 48 every year. Safe to say, she is considered experienced.

What a horrible tragedy. I can't imagine what her fiancé, family, and friends are going thru right now... She passed away way too young! Like most of us here, her free time revolved around hiking. As Sierra pointed out, Danielle was a participant in the FOT48 for the past several years, and was the peak coordinator for Mt. Washington this year. Her team is bringing her personal flag up Washington on Sunday to fly it in her honor, which is awesome! All the FOT48 summit teams will also be having a moment of silence for her. She will obviously be missed!

BTW, I also carry an EpiPen on every hike. I am severely allergic to aspirin and went into anaphylactic shock many years ago. I never want to experience that again... I can also use it on other people in a medical emergency.

I am not a medical doctor (PhD in physical sciences), but I think that the reason family members commonly do not reveal cause of death for a loved one is because that information could impact their own health and life insurance coverage and/or premiums. So I do not think that people here should whine about lack of follow up reports on fatalities.

I am a longtime SAR volunteer in the Whites, and agree that the six or more backcountry fatalities that we have had in New Hampshire this year is above average. I only count two of those fatalities as screw ups by the victims, as can be read on the NH Fish & Game reports online: the poorly clothed guy who succumbed to hypothermia on Mt Clay in July and the guy who fell over a ledge when trying to descend the Tram Line on Cannon, which is not a hiking trail but a rather serious ski descent in winter. We usually know when we answer SAR call outs if we will be doing a body recovery.

As a septuagenarian who still hikes at a high level, I would never second-guess the conditioning or fitness of the hikers that we rescue, regardless of their age, as many have done in this thread, as I am fully aware that I may be the next in need of rescue (or body recovery).

To be fair, what you shared was a vague reference to an unnamed person and your similarly vague assessment of their capabilities:

"I'll just say that this was not an inexperienced person."

That is not what I would describe as a "fact". Also to be fair, I'm apparently the only one on this forum that did not know this person and you no doubt assumed I would know the person, so it may have seemed like a fact to you. I did not take it as being called out.

I did not realize that simply thinking out loud about a topic was forbidden on this forum and that I was required to carefully document with facts and citations every single word and thought process I post here. My mistake. I thought we were just having conversations.....

I didn't know her, or of her, either. So that's two people. From the articles about the event I skimmed, I assumed (there's that word) that she wasn't that fit or experienced. Just one of those things that happens sometimes.

I didn't know her, or of her, either. So that's two people. From the articles about the event I skimmed, I assumed (there's that word) that she wasn't that fit or experienced. Just one of those things that happens sometimes.

In my original post I was thinking that 40 is so very young for something awful like this to happen.

I kind of expect medical emergencies occurring in my age cohort, but not to a youthful 40-year-old.

And while I know there is no "fair" or "unfair" in life, this feels really unfair.

I didn't know her but feel like I should have. Looking at her peak list, several of her obscure (or not on lists) peaks I've done. (Moxham, Balm of Gilead, Vanderwhacker, Belfry, Noonmark, Peaked, Craig, Sentinel & Taft in Yosemite and the usual smaller NH Peaks.) Had my son left Clemson on his possible college list, we would have done Tennant and the other peaks nearby.

It's sad and tragic and no one knows when it's their time. A friend of mine who had done a couple dozen hikes with me in MA, CT and the ADK felt lightheaded on a warm May hike, and he learned he has a cardiac issue. Went to GP and has a cardiologist appointment.

As I get older, gains I make after five or six months of being good, disappear after just a few weeks of doing nothing. I took most of August off and I feel like I'm starting over. My condolences to the Papa family.