BETA Request for Downs Brook in Sandwich Range

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mthayr

Reaction score
Good morning, I'm new here.

I'm taking a couple friends (new-ish hikers) on a loop of Passaconoway and Whiteface hoping to camp overnight around the intersections of Downs Brook and Kate Sleepers trails. Trying to avoid carrying two days water in and wondering if anyone knows if Downs Brook is running or if the pond would make an OK water source?

Thanks!

IME the stream is pretty reliable nearly all the way to the ridge but accessing the pond could be hit or miss. Pretty swampy shoreline.

I did a loop over from Trypyramids over Kate Sleeper trail and down Downes brook about 6 weeks ago. There is zero camping options at the intersection of Kate Sleeper trail and Downes Brook trail as this area was impacted by the very large blowdown event that occurred 15 or so years ago. The top of Downes Brook trail is loaded with blowdowns and is somewhat tedious to pick through. A key sign was on the ground at the intersection. Heading towards Whiteface gets out of the blowdown and the woods are bit more open but remember this is wilderness area so 200 feet from the trail. The brook is generally very reliable all the way to the top.

As was previously addressed in an earlier thread, there is no 200 foot rule for the Kate Sleeper and Downes Brook Trails even though they lie within the Sandwich Range Wilderness area. Reference was WMNF map as well as the Camping Rules Brochure.

Wait... are you saying that i CAN'T camp right on the intersection of the two trails?!?! 200 feet? What's that, like 10 paces? :rolleyes: