State Proposing Parking Fees in Franconia Notch State Park

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocket21

Reaction score
I can't find the actual proposal on any state web sites, but from WMUR:
https://www.wmur.com/article/ski-areas-higher-costs-new-hampshire/41604357

Cannon Mountain and Franconia Notch are financially intermingled and it appears the ski area is dealing with a shortfall that can't be covered by its existing subsidies from Sunapee or the state capital fund:

Ski NH said wages are up an average 28% across the industry over the past five years. According to the Department of Natural and Cultural Affairs, the state-run Cannon Mountain will have to offset an additional $825,000 in energy costs.

But if its requests to a legislative committee that's meeting Friday are any indication, ski areas will be absorbing a lot of the extra costs. It's asking for an increase of $5 for adult day passes and $15 for adult season passes. It's not asking for any rate increases for military, teens, college students or equipment rentals.
Franconia Notch is also on Friday's agenda for the legislative committee. It's proposing a flat $10 fee per vehicle in two lots closest to the two primary trailheads on weekends and Monday holidays.

Not a big surprise for the proposal. Wondering when a lawyer decides to look up if its legal given the source of funding for the parkway. In a lot of cases the way the original interstate highway funding was given out there were major strings attached preventing states from charging tolls or other revenue methods. If a state wanted to switch to tolls they had to pay back the original monies to the fed plus interest.

Ski areas in general are going to have to figure out how to pick up a lot of revenue to offset the expected very high electric power costs this upcoming season. My guess is running guns during the daytime will get scaled way back to try to avoid peak power rates, probably more stockpiling snow at night and grooming it around during the day. I could see smaller areas having to close on slow days and possibly just stop making snow due to the big increase in costs. I wonder if the early season pass prices for this winter factored in the big electric cost jump?. They may have to find a way to make up the difference by adding new fees.

Looks like they want to charge $10 per vehicle for Lafayette Place AND Kinsman Ridge Trail parking.

Would that second lot be the tram lot?. It would be a challenge to separate the hikers from the Tram guests.

Cannon's plan does not provide those details. I don't know where the "Franconia Ridge" hiker lot is.

The authority to charge a fee of $10 per vehicle (on weekends and Monday holidays) at the two primary
Franconia Ridge and Kinsman Ridge hiker lots would nearly offset the cost of operating the shuttle system.
Charging for day use parking at these very popular high demand / low volume lots would not only be
consistent with current standards of practice set within the park system (ex. seacoast area meters and paid
lots at Wallis Sands and South Beach), but also meet the expectation voiced by visiting hikers for several
years now, of being charged as is consistent in other areas around the country.

They're spending $90K a year on the hiker shuttle now. Perhaps there's a better solution.

Too bad they can't put some of the funds into improving the trails on Cannon Mountain. The Cannon section of the Kinsman Ridge Trail is one of the most heavily eroded trails in New England.

But, they need as much money as they can get. They're seeking emergency funding for their main chairlift, as 60% of the chair grips failed inspection due to excessive wear. Not a good look.

I would have to think the two lots would be Falling Waters/OBP and Lafayette Place. One staff member on each side with the ability to provide some back up quickly if needed. Maybe a three-person team so they could have a break from time to time.

If they are paying 90K for the shuttle, perhaps a couple of dollars for a ride might be needed too.

I have to wonder (along with many other unanswered questions pointed out by rocket) if NH State Parks license plates would be exempt. Cynical me would like to think so, but did I mention I'm cynical? :)

I would also be curious to see what's doing as far as any connection between parking fees going to Cannon's funds. That does not sound like a plausible situation, but who knows in this political climate anymore...

I would also be curious to see what's doing as far as any connection between parking fees going to Cannon's funds. That does not sound like a plausible situation, but who knows in this political climate anymore...

Cannon already receives 100% of the Sunapee-Vail lease revenue, plus additional money from the state general fund. I doubt they can prop up the ski area on parking fees, but state park revenue is fungible. In addition to other new fees (such as placing RFID fees on Franconia Notch attractions), they're hoping to offset costs by 'pulling-forward' 'profits' from prior years.

The tram project is a shameless money grab.

Two years ago, Cannon's general manager stated on a podcast, "from an engineering perspective, the tram itself was essentially rated for an 80-year lifespan. We're about half way through that at this point" and that the lift would need new tram cars and electronics in the next half decade at a cost of $3 million. Fast forward 18 months and suddenly Cannon is asking for $15 million to $30 million to keep the tram running.

There are much better uses of these funds than the tram.