Flood Watch for Whites until Saturday AM

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
The flood warning I saw for the area is 3" of rain with possibility of 6" in some locations. That will potentially damage dirt roads and with leaf drop possibly plug culverts so even paved roads may not hold up. Hope those in the backcountry are equipped or headed out as it looks to be wild and wooly 36 hours or so.

And I was just saying to someone that Rocky Branch Road was repaired, to the damaged bridge. Most likely to get equipment up to remove that bridge. Looking at NWS, that area looks like it is in the 6" over the 36 hours. Not sure if that's enough to wash the road out, a 3rd time.

Last edited:
H-U-G-E spikes in many of the USGS river gauges overnight.

Waterwatch has a lot of black dots (new daily records) today. The Wild River as is usual is living up to its name.

Indeed. From 40-60 cfs to over 12,000 cfs in 24 hours. That must be an incredible thing to see.

Not as impressive as spring breakup but definitely lives up to its name. The overflow channel adjacent to RT 113 fills up and where into the stone pillars of the railroad track will create some interesting waves. The Peabody draining Pinkham Notch along RT 16 also gets wound up and the homeowners along the river will start to wonder if they are looking at another flood event.

Hiked to Galehead Hut on Friday afternoon. 2nd river crossing was not safe (at my experience level, anyhow). Bushwhacked upstream and crossed where fallen trees were firmly wedged, so we had something to hang onto while crossing. 4 people made it to hut (of 19 expected), so we had the place almost to ourselves. A new experience for me.