Artist's Bluff

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grey J

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
I just read an article in today's Boston Globe online (it's behind a paywall) about insane crowds on Artist's Bluff because they all want to post Instagram photos from the spot. I guess it's become a complete zoo up there and not surprisingly the area is getting trashed as a result. The scene was described as a conga line, or a Disneyland line with folks shoulder to shoulder going up the trail. Anecdotes include people calling for help due to "unexpected darkness" aka sunset. The crowd was so large one day that a woman called to inquire about the "weight limit" of the structure. Hmm.

On Thursday 10/6, we drove by around 12:30 heading home after a quick hike nearby. I could not believe what I saw. 3-4 dozen easily. I almost, (should have), pulled off at the Rt.18 exit to take a picture. The following Saturday (Columbus weekend), must have been ridiculous.

"I would rather sit on a pumpkin, and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion"

-Henry David Thoreau

Looks like from the pictures that all those people were a week late. They should have stopped at Gunstock and the peaks around the lake. Water and leaves are a better picture than a few remaining leaves and a highway.

Maybe the State of NH can build a new mountain in Bethlehem instead of making smoke and then hire an influencer to drum up support. They can advertise the mountain is perfect for foliage pictures as it is just above tree height, surrounded by maples and birches and has a soft, man-made surface. While building it, they could even put in a few lights on the footbed that come on after dark to eliminate the need to be prepared.

These must have been the same folks that were asking me in downtown Wolfeboro a few weeks ago how long it took for the boat to get to the top.0F79E866-014B-4CE2-A074-4375716E449E.jpeg

Let the peepers have the bluff. Let them bask in the color.

I think it's great that so many people got their ASSES and out of their cars and WALKED UP a trail to take in some natural beauty on a blue bird day in the Whites.

Maybe a few of these city slickers will become pro-conservation after such a mind blowing experience in the wild.

I think it's great that so many people got their ASSES and out of their cars and WALKED UP a trail to take in some natural beauty on a blue bird day in the Whites.

Maybe a few of these city slickers will become pro-conservation after such a mind blowing experience in the wild.

You mean the people that littered the place to the point that it looks like a landfill? They will most likely not be back until next year, when they will once again treat the Bluff like the city they hail from.