An Ode to a Slow Slog in Heavy Boots

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spiny Norman

Reaction score
Well that's what I had in mind for the first half of my walk.

Then I had to go up hill.

I just recently came into a pile of winter hiking and mountaineering gear. Amongst the lot was a pair of 12yo Salomon Mountain boots.

So I took them for a stroll. The first half hour was pleasant because my feet are so bad these days. The protection is awesome, not stubbing my toes on roots hiding in the leaves was awesome. Plus I was walking at least 20% slower so i was enjoying the scenery.

And then the trail bottomed out at the beaver dam. Up i went and I could feel every bit of the 2lbs 11.28 ozs.

Home now and my feet feel great, my legs feel okay but I miss the days when my favorite hiking footwear was Nike ACG flip flops.

Tootles.

I give it less than 24 hours and then the Limmers will be out.

I give it less than 24 hours and then the Limmers will be out.

I used my Limmer standards for my every other day 7 miles down the ridge my house is on and back up this summer when I was getting shape for a return to the Camino De Santiago in September. They sure make your legs heavy and blow up the thigh muscles when you switch from trail runners. I thought about wearing them on my treadmill this winter, but then figured that the heavy pounding would eventually destroy my cabin :)

I once schlepped into Chimney Pond in a pair of Galiber Makalu double leather boots. Oh to have 27-year-old legs again…

I still have mine and they look great. They were the last pair to be sold at EMS in their North Conway store. Not very comfortable to wear unless there's soft snow to walk on, but my toes were never cold.

I used my Limmer standards for my every other day 7 miles down the ridge my house is on and back up this summer when I was getting shape for a return to the Camino De Santiago in September. They sure make your legs heavy and blow up the thigh muscles when you switch from trail runners. I thought about wearing them on my treadmill this winter, but then figured that the heavy pounding would eventually destroy my cabin :)
Well done. I’m working on getting ready for Nordic Ski Racing. https://youtu.be/FPIIQZABfRY