EMS Sold -- Again

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisB

Reaction score
The EMS retail chain was sold this past summer. And the buyer is not who you might expect.

It's a company that is new to the outdoor industry and that defines itself as follows:

“GoDigital Media Group a diversified multinational conglomerate focused on technology-enabled and vertically integrated IP rights management through its operating subsidiaries.”

But they had $70 million in cash and a plan.

More here....

A plan, are you sure? :rolleyes:

As an employee from the 90's a plan would be nice finally. I wonder if a Digital Media Group may look at a plan of being online only? (Lower cost, likely)

A plan, are you sure? :rolleyes:

As an employee from the 90's a plan would be nice finally. I wonder if a Digital Media Group may look at a plan of being online only? (Lower cost, likely)

Online only was my guess too.

But they are opening a new bricks-n-mortar in Burlington VT this month.

More here…

Last edited:
The logo gets passed around but my guess is its "soul" died long ago. :(

REI is a non profit behemoth so they can steamroller any profit making entity. I stopped by Trader Joes in Bedford NH last week, I walked out the door and saw the REI coming soon sign on the new building across the street.

Last edited:
"... a diversified multinational conglomerate focused on technology-enabled and vertically integrated IP rights management through its operating subsidiaries ..."

Is it the 1990s again? That is some jargon.

I go into EMS every now and then just to poke around. It's still a little generic in nature and I think they are far from the REI model which is much more hiker orientated. Two things they have improved on, Footwear selection and customer service. The staff has improved, and they are both more customer friendly and more knowledgeable, at least that's been my impression. Not to mention they are now dog friendly as well. If I was asked how they could improve their model, I have two suggestions right off the bat. Remake their store brand, the stuff is trash, REI's store brand is heads and tails a better product. Secondly, revamp the rewards program. I do benefit from the current program, but not very much. This could really drive loyalty and business if they structured the program to offer more, I know the margins are there to allow this to happen. Just my 2 cents.

I first joined REI in the early 1970's (for a $10 on- time lifetime membership fee then - yes, I am a dinosaur). Each catalog was filled with useful ourdoor information, not just on their products, but also on general advice. Each member of the board wrote an article on their recent adventures and wilderness expeditions. I saved each catalog for the information it contained.

Then I became aware of EMS, much closer to home. Similar offerings in the general catalog. product wise, but without the added adventure product use stories and without the annual member dividend on purchases made throughout the year. I bought a lot of gear in those early days and was an officer in my college outing club. The EMS catalog was thin and not worth saving. At some point after the internet revolution, some marketing brainiac at corporate EMS decided to eliminate their catalog completely, offering online and in store shopping only. At about the same time REI opened a store in NY. At that time you did not have to pay NY sales tax on purchases made out of state (technically you legally did, but no one actually did). So the REI dividend was eaten up with in-state sales tax, although still a better deal than the equivalent from EMS with their NY store presence.

But REI had changed substantially by then, non longer did the catalog contain anything like the useful information I had previously saved them for. Both REI and EMS had less and less hard core outdoor equipment, moving instead to foo-foo fluff clothing that appealed to city-folk easy trail hikers who felt it more important to look cool when in the woods than to have quality equipment.

Fortunately, my collection of necessary equipment is mainly complete and my need to buy new gear has diminished in recent years, and there are other resources for anything specialized I may need, so I rarely look to either company anymore.

Last edited:
I know the EMS chain has its detractors, and as a part time employee I admit I am less than totally objective!

But, if you want to actually try on rock climbing shoes or mounteering boots, heft an ice ax or evaluate the balance of ice tools, play with all forms of rock protection, sample a sleeping bag or pad, twiddle with various headlamps and stoves, heft a myriad of water bottles/bladders, walk around for an hour wearing a loaded pack or sign up for a guided climb….

There are not a lot of places left where you can do all of that under one roof. (Unless you live in North Conway or Keene Valley.)

And of course it’s a great place to verify your boot or clothing size before ordering the item on the Internet. :)

The store I work in even has a small climbing wall for trying out rock shoes.

I hope the chain continues to evolve and get better. Opening a new site in Burlington VT in this economy is either genius or suicidal. I’m not sure which.

Last edited:
I remember taking a train into NYC at the age of 15 with a friend and his Mom to shop at the EMS in Manhattan, sometime in the early 80's. I think it was one of only one or 2 stores in existence at the time. How exciting to have the opportunity to actually see real hiking gear beyond what we were able to get at the local hunting and bait shop. their name brand stuff (that had their old logo) was pretty reliable.

The biggest frustration I have with the new model for these retailers, which includes the big box general retailers; is you can rarely find what you need in the season. Its all marketing for the upcoming activity and you best buy what you can get what your hands on early, since you won't find it when you need it. I find it irritating not to be able to buy gloves in March, but you can find spring fashion and bathing suits.

I believe that EMS originated from the store Mountaineering Supply on Comm Ave near BU in Boston around 1967. We would spend all night on the sidewalk outside the store before their big annual sale each year, with people in line democratically deciding who go for what big sale item once inside, kinda like the olden days at park headquarters in Millinocket for BSP reservations. In the early 1970’s, the owners Gardner Perry and Al McDonaugh bought the Eastern Slope Inn in NC where Rick Wilcox became its first EMS store manager, until he bought IME when Paul Ross moved back to England. I still have a 1967 catalog somewhere, which is like those described above.

I believe that EMS originated from the store Mountaineering Supply on Comm Ave near BU in Boston around 1967. We would spend all night on the sidewalk outside the store before their big annual sale each year, with people in line democratically deciding who go for what big sale item once inside, kinda like the olden days at park headquarters in Millinocket for BSP reservations. In the early 1970’s, the owners Gardner Perry and Al McDonaugh bought the Eastern Slope Inn in NC where Rick Wilcox became its first EMS store manager, until he bought IME when Paul Ross moved back to England. I still have a 1967 catalog somewhere, which is like those described above.
Going to EMS in those days was an adventure. Your probably as old as dirt like me and remember when Limmers sold tents and Optimus stoves. EMS had not landed yet but when they did that's when Limmers deciced to just sell boots.

I remember getting my first set of Kneissl Cross Country Skis in Hartford Connecticut in the late 70's.

I think they took their first hit from the Internet--I grew tired of being pushed to boots or sizes in stock rather than something that had to be ordered. Then their lifetime warranty became a lie. Sticking with confusing brands such as Northface-urban wear and useful layers in the same vicinity--- didn't help.

I might drop into the Portsmouth store to kill time, but visiting Kittery Trading Post is always more interesting.

Hey, any of you old-as-dirt dogs remember Skimiesters in North Woodstock NH? That was a cool place.

Guy who worked there lived in a rustic shack behind the store and was some type of a minister.

I bought most of my winter kit there when I was a kid.

Hey, any of you old-as-dirt dogs remember Skimiesters in North Woodstock NH? That was a cool place.

Guy who worked there lived in a rustic shack behind the store and was some type of a minister.

I bought most of my winter kit there when I was a kid.

I remember Skimiesters, but bought more gear at Climber's Corner in Cambridge. My first favorite gear store was Moor and Mountain in Concord, MA.

When I moved up in 1987, Ragged Mountain was just a small room in the front of the building where climber hung out. I was there one day when they were doing a demo on a stove on their one and only glass case. The stove overheated the glass on top of the case, it shattered and turned it into a bunch of glass pellets.

I also visited LL Beans when it opened up their first factory outlet outside of Freeport. I got a lot of nice high end gear for cheap as Beans was trying to get into the high end winter gear market. Once it went up to North Conway it never left until it sold. Time it right and they would have a 30% off sale on the discounted gear.

When I moved up in 1987, Ragged Mountain was just a small room in the front of the building where climber hung out. I was there one day when they were doing a demo on a stove on their one and only glass case. The stove overheated the glass on top of the case, it shattered and turned it into a bunch of glass pellets.

I also visited LL Beans when it opened up their first factory outlet outside of Freeport. I got a lot of nice high end gear for cheap as Beans was trying to get into the high end winter gear market. Once it went up to North Conway it never left until it sold. Time it right and they would have a 30% off sale on the discounted gear.
Nothing really quite compares to a company that started out with just a simple black and white newspaper like catalog and a warehouse like storefront in Bagota, NJ back in 1978 called Campmor. To think they even have a Website now is imaginable.

Nothing really quite compares to a company that started out with just a simple black and white newspaper like catalog and a warehouse like storefront in Bagota, NJ back in 1978 called Campmor. To think they even have a Website now is imaginable.

I remember Campmor. I used to buy lots of gear from them. I didn't realize that they were still in business.

For many years, and even recently, Campmor has sponsored not one, but two 28' voyageur canoes in the annual Adiorndack 90 mile canoe race.

Skimeister74-75Catalog.jpg

From '74 to '76, I'd travel from CT to the Whites each August as part of a group for a week's backpacking.

First place we'd stop was Skimeister to get anything anyone in the group needed. In '74 I got my first plastic coated copies of Maps 5 & 6 from the WMG there (still have 'em) - I couldn't afford an actual copy of the whole guide until the 1976 edition.

Then we'd go to North Conway to stop at EMS and get anything we didn't get at Skimeister. Only then would we go hiking.

TomK